Acanthaceae Week: Acanthus illicifolius?

Pudji Widodo

Jun 11, 2011, 1:41:06 PM6/11/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Although this plant was found on the slope of Mt Slamet (ca 1000 m alt), I think this one is also Acanthus illicifolius which is normally found in mangrove forest.  Could you confirm this please.  Thank you.

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Faculty of Biology Jenderal Soedirman University
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA
SDC12690b.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 11, 2011, 2:22:23 PM6/11/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Hello Widodo ji ... your thoughts could be right ... a feeble possibility: Argemone species.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2011, 10:31:08 PM6/11/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Rather interesting
Argemone it can't be because leaves are opposite and much stronger in texture, also ais appears to be much more robust.

It could be Acanthus ilicifolius if one believes this image of Wikipedia and Wikimedia commons

But it can't be so if we are to believe following (I can't visualise this range of variation)

I would imagine this to be Acanthus spinosus (of course not one on FOI which I think is A. montanus) which was uploaded by me on June 6, 2011.

 here are more links

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2011, 5:55:12 AM9/9/11
to efloraofindia, pudji...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, Rasingam L., Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Hello Widodo ji ... your thoughts could be right ... a feeble possibility: Argemone species.
Regards.
Dinesh”

“Rather interesting

Argemone it can't be because leaves are opposite and much stronger in texture, also ais appears to be much more robust.

It could be Acanthus ilicifolius if one believes this image of Wikipedia and Wikimedia commons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Acanthus_ilicifolius_001.jpg
http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Acanthus_ilicifolius_001.jpg

http://www.rickandjames.com/Photo%20Gallery%203.html”  from Singh ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species)

SDC12690b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 28, 2021, 6:56:32 AM2/28/21
to efloraofindia