Flora Picture of the Year 2012 - SK

surajit koley

Jan 15, 2013, 12:35:11 PM1/15/13
to efloraofindia
Dear All,

Never did i think of delving inside the unfathomable mystery of plant taxonomy. Since my childhood i hated books and relieved a deep sigh when i found myself engaged to a NAUKRI ! Thanks God, no more reading!

My initial days in eFI were very nice, just upload photographs and obtain ID of plants; very simple. Raju Sir changed it all. No sooner i met him in the Botanical Garden we became family and i started moulting, moulting into a student life, for one more time, with obedience.

Well, it was the 17th July, 2012 and Raju Sir drew my notice to this beautiful plant, a Leea sp., inside the Botanical Garden, Shibpore, Howrah. I can't express my amazement when Raju Sir himself cleared a few weeds so that i could be able to take photographs without any obstruction before me.

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit
Leea_sp.jpg

Balkar Singh

Jan 15, 2013, 12:38:42 PM1/15/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Nice Shot Surajit Ji

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology &
Horticulture Incharge
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Jan 15, 2013, 12:40:41 PM1/15/13
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir, i am adding one more, for ID.

Regards,

surajit
Leea_sp_DSCN7372.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jan 15, 2013, 7:59:58 PM1/15/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I always believed that the value of Howrah Botanic Garden is actually underestimated. Its a place of great resource of living as well as voucher specimens.
Hope it lasts long.
Thanks for sharing this pic. I thought there is only one species in lower plains of India. But if you got this from Sibpur then probably it may not be the local one.as many plants came to the garden from other parts of India and abroad. I thinkt his is Leea macrophylla.
Pankaj

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 15, 2013, 8:06:43 PM1/15/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful shot! Thanks for sharing Surajit jee....Would like to quote a famous TV advt.....'An idea can change your life'. :-)

Wonder if it can be Leea rubra Blume ex Spreng (Vitaceae). Our W. Ghat Expert friends may confirm.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Ritesh.

surajit koley

Jan 15, 2013, 8:58:54 PM1/15/13
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Pankaj Ji

Thank you very much for the ID, i tried once and gave up.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jan 15, 2013, 9:08:29 PM1/15/13
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Ritesh Ji,

Thank you very much for the probable ID. I tried last year and found the following info :-

Leea rubra
  1.  Leaf 2–4-pinnate, leaflet lamina ovate to ovate-oblong, apex acuminate, margin crenate to dentate, base rounded to cuneate, 3–10.5 cm by 2–4 cm, lamina chartaceous, minutely hairy along veins; rachis red ...... = http://floraofsingapore.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/leea-rubra/ ..... source = http://floraofsingapore.wordpress.com/category/class-magnoliopsida/superorder-rosanae/order-vitale/family-vitaceae/
  2. pictures = http://www.natureloveyou.sg/Leea%20rubra/Main.html
  3. another pic = http://www.flickr.com/photos/phuonglovejesus2782010/5883039313/
  4. syn. = http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-34000006
  5. no L. rubra in Flora of China = http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=117843#KEY-1-2
A close competitor = Leea guineensis -

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 15, 2013, 11:18:50 PM1/15/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the links Surajit ji,

Difference between these two species lies in the stipule characters. Here is a key from Fl. Malesiana (Ser. I Vol 7):

1. Stipule a narrower wing, somewhat persistent, scar long and thin.......Leea rubra
1. Stipule obovate, caducous, leaving a broad scar..............................Leea guineensis

Looking forward to see the stipule photographs from your good-self.

Best regards,
Ritesh.

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2013, 12:46:11 AM1/16/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks, Surajit ji.
You have become a source of encouragement to many of us now.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2030 members & 1,42,000 messages on 31/12/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

Prasad Dash

Jan 16, 2013, 5:12:53 AM1/16/13
to J.M. Garg, surajit koley, efloraofindia
Lovely shot and nice story. I found Surajit Ji one as one meticulous taxonomist (Teacher) who provides key and minute details of each plant he came across and follows that from its flowering to fruiting. To me he is one of the fastest learner. No doubt he is a resource rich person in the group and the way he is exploring flora of Bengal, i am sure we will cover the Eastern Indian flora in the long run. Best of luck Surajit Ji.

Regards

Prasad

Dr. Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Odisha, India
email: prasad....@gmail.com
ph. 09437444241

surajit koley

Jan 16, 2013, 11:02:11 AM1/16/13
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Ritesh Ji, for the keys.
I will have to visit this plant again, presently i do not have any photo of the stipules or scar mark. Meanwhile, attaching rest of the photographs i have in my hard disk.

Regards,

surajit

--

Leea7365.jpg
Leea7366.jpg

surajit koley

Jan 16, 2013, 11:12:05 AM1/16/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir, our group has an excellent capability to mould a commoner.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jan 16, 2013, 11:22:02 AM1/16/13
to Prasad Dash, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Prasad Ji.

Now, i will have to work much harder so as to retain the faith Prasad Sir, on behalf of eFI, bestowed upon me.

Regards,

surajit

Bhagyashri

Jan 17, 2013, 8:50:13 AM1/17/13
to surajit koley, Prasad Dash, efloraofindia
very beautiful capture Surajit ji Thanks for sharing
Regards
Bhagyashri

Regards
Bhagyashri

surajit koley

Jan 17, 2013, 11:45:42 AM1/17/13
to Bhagyashri, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Madam, the inflorescence looked fantastic.

Regards,

surajit

Satish Phadke

Jan 17, 2013, 12:03:28 PM1/17/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit ji
I have added your story with the picture at Flora Picture 2012.
Thanks
Dr Satish Phadke

surajit koley

Jan 17, 2013, 1:01:48 PM1/17/13
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Satish Sir.

Regards,

surajit

D.S Rawat

Jan 19, 2013, 10:40:18 AM1/19/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary
Very fine pictures.
DSRawat Pantnagar

surajit koley

Jan 19, 2013, 11:59:12 AM1/19/13
to D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Sir.

Regards,

surajit

Dinesh Valke

Jan 20, 2013, 12:36:37 AM1/20/13
to surajit koley, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Nice picture, Surajit ji.
Many thanks for sharing it as flora pic ... am yet to see red-flowered Leea.
Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Jan 20, 2013, 10:02:43 AM1/20/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Dinesh Ji, it was my first acquaintance to this genus of vitaceae (leeaceae).

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Aug 23, 2014, 1:51:12 PM8/23/14
to efloraofindia
Photographed today, the same Leea in the garden.

Regards

P1110679.jpg
P1110682.jpg
P1110684.jpg
P1110685.jpg
P1110688.jpg
P1110689.jpg
P1110690.jpg
P1110691.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Aug 23, 2014, 9:24:37 PM8/23/14
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks Surajit Ji for revisiting the thread and digging out beautiful narration of your personal experience..I would like to tell you that I have got almost similar Leea from Siliguri area, will share soon for id..

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Photographed today, the same Leea in the garden.

Regards

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

surajit koley

Aug 23, 2014, 10:06:30 PM8/23/14
to Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir, will be looking forward to your upload.

Regards

J.M. Garg

Jul 15, 2017, 4:09:18 AM7/15/17
to efloraofindia
I think closer to images at Leea guineense G.Don

With regards,
J.M.Garg

P1110679.jpg
P1110682.jpg
P1110684.jpg
P1110685.jpg
P1110688.jpg
P1110689.jpg
P1110690.jpg
P1110691.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2021, 3:49:19 AM5/16/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary
As per 08-05-2021 : S-KOLEY : Leea diversity in India from Surajit ji:
"My first regret is that I couldn't keep Ritesh ji's word, requesting to photograph the stipule of the species in my thread - https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/dUGQK7Tsd_k/m/C_BAQsLTRLMJ
My second regret is that I deleted all original photographs, recorded after mid-2014,, from my computer, without taking backup.

However, I think the Leea in BSI might be L. rubra, because -
  • flowers are not exactly like some other posts, here inside of the petals are red -
  • less exserted (?) staminodial tube
  • oblong (?) stipule (somewhat similar stipule can also happen in L. guineensis
Thank you."