ID of the parasite as well as that of the mother plant.

Yazdy Palia

May 30, 2010, 9:29:22 AM5/30/10
to indiantreepix
Hello friends.
The leaves of the parasite are small. The leaves of the parent tree
are large. Would appreciate ID of both.
Regards
Yazdy.

You have been sent 2 pictures.

DSCN2640.JPG
DSCN2641.JPG

DSCN2640.JPG
DSCN2641.JPG

Yazdy Palia

May 31, 2010, 1:47:53 AM5/31/10
to Nandan Kalbag, indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Nandan Kalbag,
Many thanks for the information. One observation is that whenever these stranglers latch on to a parent tree, the inside becomes hollow. A cavity is created in the parent tree. These cavities are most frequently occupied by honey bee, lizards like monitor lizards, an occasional flying squirrel.
Regards
Yazdy.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Nandan Kalbag <ntka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Junk Score: 3 out of 10 (below your Auto Allow threshold) | Approve sender | Block sender | Block domain | Boxbe

The pictures are of 'Strangler fig', they are not parasites but kill the host by strangling.
Nandan

Smilax004

May 31, 2010, 4:01:36 AM5/31/10
to efloraofindia
The leaves are not clear for either the host or the parasite please
send distinct pictures in which the leaves are clear both upper and
lower part of the leaves.
The "parasite" doesnt looks like a parasite that take food from the
host it could be a hemiepiphyte comes under the genus Ficus.

Regards
Giby

On May 31, 10:47 am, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Mr. Nandan Kalbag,
> Many thanks for the information. One observation is that whenever these
> stranglers latch on to a parent tree, the inside becomes hollow. A cavity is
> created in the parent tree. These cavities are most frequently occupied by
> honey bee, lizards like monitor lizards, an occasional flying squirrel.
> Regards
> Yazdy.
>

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Nandan Kalbag <ntkal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Junk Score: 3 out of 10 (below your Auto Allow threshold<https://www.boxbe.com/mail-screening>)
> > | Approve sender <https://www.boxbe.com/anno?tc=3009739205_676763585> | Block
> > sender <https://www.boxbe.com/anno?tc=3009739205_676763585&disp=b> | Block
> > domain <https://www.boxbe.com/anno?tc=3009739205_676763585&disp=b&dom> | [image:
> > Boxbe] <https://www.boxbe.com/overview>
>
> > The pictures are of 'Strangler fig', they are not parasites but kill the
> > host by strangling.
> > Nandan
>
> > On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hello friends.
> >> The leaves of the parasite are small. The leaves of the parent tree
> >> are large. Would appreciate ID of both.
> >> Regards
> >> Yazdy.
>
> >> You have been sent 2 pictures.
>
> >> DSCN2640.JPG
> >> DSCN2641.JPG
>
> >> These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
> >> Try it out here:http://picasa.google.com/
>
> >> --
> >> .

Pinki

May 31, 2010, 6:46:42 AM5/31/10
to efloraofindia
Yazdy ji

I am of the opinion that Gibby is right. The Parasite is not a typical
parasite. it is a ficus species most probably...

Alok

Yazdy Palia

May 31, 2010, 9:18:20 AM5/31/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Am now attaching pictures of the strangler leaves (front and reverse
side, small leaves) and the pictures of the parent tree. Finding it
difficult shall send it by Picasa
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Nudrat

Jun 1, 2010, 6:57:48 AM6/1/10
to efloraofindia
Hello,

The strangler is a Ficus sps.

On May 31, 1:18 am, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am now attaching pictures of the strangler leaves (front and reverse
> side, small leaves) and the pictures of the parent tree. Finding it
> difficult shall send it by Picasa
> Regards
> Yazdy Palia.

J.M. Garg

Jun 13, 2010, 2:41:59 AM6/13/10
to efloraofindia

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSCN2640.JPG
DSCN2641.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 14, 2010, 3:09:07 AM6/14/10
to efloraofindia, Yazdy Palia, Smilax004, Nudrat
"Thank you for the pictures and the fast response to the queries. The host (
I hope the later pictures are of the hosts; no specification regarding the
same) could be Bridelia retusa (Euphorbiaceae)
and the parasite (please
don't treat that as a parasite; it can be called as a hemi epiphyte) can be
a species of Ficus (may be Ficus microcarpa?).
May be others can give a
better idea.
Regards,
Giby"