Names of Plants in India :: Centella asiatica (L.) Urb.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 3, 2012, 2:20:29 PM6/3/12
to efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER
via Species‎ > ‎C‎ > ‎

Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. ... (family: Apiaceae)

Centella asiatica (L.) Urb.

Flowers of India  Discussions at efloraofindia  more views in flickr  more views on Google Earth

ken-TEL-uh -- from Greek centum (hundred) referring to profusely branched prostrate herb ... IJRAP
a-see-AT-ee-kuh -- of or from Asia... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: coinwort, Indian pennywort, Indian water navelwort, pennyweed, spadeleafAssamese: মানিমুনি manimuniBengali: ব্রহ্মমন্ডূকী brahmamanduki, থানকুনি thanakuniDogri: ब्राह्मी बूटी brahmi booti, ghor-sumbiGujarati: બ્રાહ્મી brahmi, ખડબ્રાહ્મી khadabrahmiHindi: बल्लारि ballari, भेकी bheki, ब्रह्ममण्डूकी brahmamanduki, ब्राह्मी brahmi, खुलखुडी khulakhudi, मण्डूकी mandukiKannada: ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು brahmi soppu, ಗದ್ದೆ ಬರಗ gadde baraga, ಇಲಿಕಿವಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು ilikivi soppu, ಒಂದೆಲಗ ondelaga, ಸರಸ್ವತಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು Saraswati soppu, ತಂಬುಳಿ ಗಿಡ tambuli gidaKonkani: एकपानी ekpani, ¿ उंदरी ? umdriMalayalam: കുടകം kutakam, കുടഞ്ഞാല്‍ kutannalManipuri: পেৰূক perukMarathi: ब्राह्मी brahmi, एकपानी ekpani, कारिवणा karivanaMizo: hnah-bial, lambakNepali: ब्रह्मबुटि brahmabuti, घोड टाप्रे ghod-tapreOriya: ମଣ୍ଡୂକପର୍ଣ୍ଣୀ mandukaparnni, ମାଣ୍ଡୁକୀ manduki, ମୂଳ ପର୍ଣ୍ଣୀ mula parnni, ସରସ୍ବତୀ Sarasbati, ସୋମ ବଲ୍ଲୀ soma-balli, ଶ୍ରାବଣୀ srabaniSanskrit: भाण्डि bhandi, भण्डीरी bhandiri, भेकी bheki, मण्डूकपर्णी mandukaparni, मण्डूकी mandukiTamil: கசப்பி kacappi, மதண்டி matanti, பறுணி paruni, பிண்டீரி pintiri, வல்லாரை vallarai, யோசனவல்லி yocana-valliTelugu: మండూకపర్ణి mandukaparni, సరస్వతీ ఆకు Sarasvati-akuTibetan: man du rag pa rniTulu: ತಿಮರೆ timare

botanical names: Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. ... synonyms: Hydrocotyle asiatica L. (basionym) • Centella hirtella Nannf. • Hydrocotyle reniformis Walter ... and more at The Plants List

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Photographed at Lollem, Goa ... 21 FEB 12
... more views at flickr.

Referring to NPGS / GRIN, a query: has this plant now shifted to Araceae ... also placed in: Apiaceae Hydrocotylaceae ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jun 4, 2012, 12:02:51 AM6/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER
Dear Sir
This is not the plant which is called Brahmi in Hindi or Sanskrit. Brahmi is Bacopa.
Best regards
Pankaj

Tanay Bose

Jun 4, 2012, 12:19:06 AM6/4/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Hi Dinesh Ji.
Hydrocotylaceae is considered as a synonym of Araliaceae.Under the current taxonomic status Hydrocotylaceae has been demoted to a sub-family level (Hydrocotyloideae) under Araliaceae.I think the Centella asiatica has an indefinite position hence has been simultaneously placed under the Apiaceae & Araliaceae. Now there is another problem, when I check the systematic postion under Wikipeadea, I was stunned to see it has been placed under Mackinlayaceae according to APG II System of classification. Mackinlayaceae (formerly Mackinlayoideae) is considered a sub-family under the order Apiales placed in the Euasterids II clade. Based on the phylogenetic tree published Tolweb (see the link below) Mackinlayaceae, Apiaceae, Araliaceae, Pittosporaceae and Myodocarpaceae  are indicated by a polytomy which means the phylogentic relation between the families are not well resolved, hopefully in future better molecular studies will help in resolving the problem.I also check with bunch of papers on phylogeny of Apiaceae where it has been clearly stated that Centella has a variable position in the tree based on the different approaches used for the tree construction. I am attching one such papers (see the highlighted lines).

Cheers
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research & Teaching Assistant.

Tanay Ref paper.pdf

ushadi Micromini

Jun 4, 2012, 2:00:33 AM6/4/12
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER
Pankaj
both are brahmi...
recognised by the csir  for ayurvedic medicinal purposes... same / similar effects on vasculature of brain among others and memory .. they show both on their various brochures  they bring to some medical conferences...  I used to have some, if they are still in my library, I'll scan them and show here...

In Bengal we call this thankuni pata and the Bacopa monieri as Bhrahmi saak..
But in the western Indian states it the other way around... where Centella asiatica is the brahmi and the other neerbrahmi....

take a look at any modern Ayurvedic botany text and you'll see that the argument continues...

USha di
===
--
Usha di
===========

ushadi Micromini

Jun 4, 2012, 2:01:51 AM6/4/12
to Tanay Bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Tanay thank you that explains some confusing papers I had seen in last few years about the id...

but not being a taxonomist I had no way of judging..
thanks
Usha di
=====
--
Usha di
===========

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 4, 2012, 2:03:05 AM6/4/12
to ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER
That perception is wrong. In Vedas, one name is for one plant only. But it was misinterpreted. For long people believed Centella to be Brahmi but later they found out the mistake.
Regards
Pankaj
"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar, Ph.D.
Conservation Officer

Office:
Orchid Conservation Section
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36C, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org; sahani...@gmail.com; pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:00pm); +852 9436 6251 (mobile). Fax: +852 2483 7194

Dinesh Valke

Jun 4, 2012, 2:26:06 PM6/4/12
to Pankaj Kumar, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER
Many thanks Tanay for clarifying taxonomical status of Centella.

Pankaj, ... gathering names for Centella asiatica and Bacopa monnieri was interesting as well as confusing in context of their association with the name brahmi.

Have not yet put brahmi as Sanskrit name for Centella asiatica (syn. Hydrocotyle asiatica).
Would have neither put it for Bacopa monnieri - WHY ?
because:
1) none of the Sanskrit dictionaries that I referred, have mention of Bacopa monnieri OR any of its synonyms - almost leading me to think it is not a native of our country.
2) on the contrary, brahmi is put for several plants - - - surprisingly neither Bacopa NOR Centella NOR their synonyms among them.

Hoping someone among us provides clarity about brahmi.

The phrase "In Vedas, one name is for one plant only" is not convincing me. There are countless "generic names" in Sanskrit (not sure about Veda) - that is - there are names shared (for various reasons) by several plants - brahmi is one such. Here are contents of brahmi page of Sanskrit, compiled as of now:

via Names in‎ > ‎Sanskrit‎ > ‎

ब्राह्मी brahmi

    Bacopa monnieri (L.) Wettst.
    • ENVIS - FRLHT
    • वनौषधी [ Vanaushadi ] by Dr Madhukar Bachulkar - Cholekar
  2. Clerodendrum siphonanthus R.Br. ... synonym of Clerodendrum indicum (L.) Kuntze
  3. Enhydra hingcha
  4. Ruta graveolens L.

Regards.
Dinesh

Giby Kuriakose

Jun 4, 2012, 2:35:33 PM6/4/12
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER, Tanay Bose
Please refer the following links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Dinesh Valke

Jun 4, 2012, 2:49:22 PM6/4/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Pankaj Kumar, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, MIchel H. PORCHER, Tanay Bose
Many many thanks Giby ji and Pankaj for validating brahmi in Sanskrit in context of Bacopa vs Centella - will amend my notes accordingly.
Other plants - Clerodendrum indicum, Enhydra hingcha, Ruta graveolens do have brahmi as one of Sanskrit names,

Regards.
Dinesh

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 10, 2012, 6:40:35 PM6/10/12
to Michel H. Porcher, Dinesh Valke, Giby Kuriakose, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi, Tanay Bose
In sanskrit an vedas there are slokas and sometimes these slokas were misinterpreted. For long Centella was considered as Brahmi, then after more research and translation, they realised that it was Bacopa. But due to long usage of the name, sometimes it is still used and also because some people are not aware of these scientific facts.
Similar thing happens in Botanical Nomenclature also, when we conserve a wrong name due to is long usage. Just for example, we use
Orchidaceae Juss. (1789) against Orchidaceae Adanson (1763).

But at both place we should always encourage to use one name for one plant. May be from now onwards, people will start following us.
Regards
Pankaj

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Michel H. Porcher <seed...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello there,
My response seems to have gone through like a lead balloon!
I wonder if we can get a consensus as a group. I would make a statement like this:
"Given that the name "Brahmi" is used for so many plants it should be only considered as a (wrong) synonym for Bacopa (and Centella). It cannot be dismissed altogether because it has successfully been associated with both Bacopa (almost rightly) and Centella (mostly wrongly) in various parts of India as well as everywhere else in the world. Some authors have attempted to point out that the attribution of the vernacular "Brahmi" to Bacopa or Centella is very much dependent on the region of India one comes from. In order to bring back some clarity to the nomenclature of these two important plants we recommend the following preferred names...."  Do we all agree so far?
Then I am willing to comply with your wisdom as custodians of the languages involved. Over to you fellow lexicographers.
Michel

Jun 11, 2012, 1:51:34 AM6/11/12
to Pankaj Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mic and Pankaj,

My thoughts in this context will come later when time available.
Yet, in gist, will tend to agree with Pankaj's thoughts.
Here we are discussing the name Brahmi (in Sanskrit alone). And we have enough to discuss !
It may happen for several / all names in Sanskrit - if we are to go by one name - one plant.
I would go with putting Illegitimate name for against brahmi for
    1. Clerodendrum siphonanthus R.Br. ... synonym of Clerodendrum indicum (L.) Kuntze
    1. Enhydra hingcha
    2. Ruta graveolens L.
    I will add Illegitimate name for Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. in this page ... https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/brahmi-brahmi, as soon as I am ready with appropriate contents for reasoning.

    Regards.
    Dinesh

    Ganesh Kumar

    Jun 11, 2012, 8:53:31 PM6/11/12
    to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    Dear sir/madam
    I am new to this group and not a botanist basically. Yet with reference to Brahmi It is Synonym for many plants due to similarity of action. Hence Illegitimate name is in-appropriate. Acutval name for Hydrocotyle asiactica is mandooka Parni (Bilobed leaf) and for Bacopa is also Brahmi due to its action. To indicate same action the name is used. To indicate structure mandooka parni is used for Hydrocotyle and mathyakshi is used for bacopa. so using  proper names at proper usage will solve the confusion. Not declaration of name as  Illegitimate .
    Soorry if there are mistakes in language.
    Dr.ganesh
    --
    Dr.ganesh Kumar
    Dr.Vijaya lakshmi

    Ph: 9480514378
    Ph: 9480514387
    080-22428739
    080-22420582

    Dinesh Valke

    Jun 12, 2012, 1:15:49 AM6/12/12
    to Ganesh Kumar, Pankaj Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    Thank you very much Ganesh ji for clarification.
    My thinking (was) on same lines.
    Will take this query later to Ayurveda discussing communities for their thoughts.
    Regards.
    Dinesh

    Pankaj Kumar

    Jun 12, 2012, 1:46:03 AM6/12/12
    to Dinesh Valke, Ganesh Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    The term "Illegitimate" is applied to the botancial names for many reasons. Some may be, because the same name is available for another plant which was published earlier OR the name was not published properly following ICBN rules. So this term can be used any where logically for similar reasons. Like in case of Brahmi, the name exists for another plant.
    Another way would be to use the term, "MISINTERPRETED NAME for Centella asiatica".
    Brahmi was considered as a name for Centella as Centella has similar properties. But now that name is discarded because scientists say that the name can be correctly applied only to Bacopa. That is the issue with common names. For example there is a big list of plant which are called, "NIRBISI". But no one knows what it should be applied to exactly.
    Mandook Parni doesnt mean bilobed leaf, it means Frog Leaf, pointing towards the jumping runner like habit of Centella.
    Regards
    Pankaj

    Dinesh Valke

    Jun 12, 2012, 2:31:53 AM6/12/12
    to Pankaj Kumar, Ganesh Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    Many thanks Pankaj for this better and proper wording: misinterpreted name. Will make use of this in lieu of illegitimate name.
    Would like more members familiar with ayurveda to discuss brahmi as 1) misinterpreted name and 2) appropriate name for Centella asiatica.
    ... thus following thoughts are at least possible:
    1) not knowing of the fact that the name is misinterpreted ... therefore appropriate
    2) knowing the fact that it is a misinterpreted name ... therefore inappropriate
    3) knowing the fact that it is a misinterpreted name ... yet appropriate

    Regards.
    Dinesh

    H S

    Jun 12, 2012, 2:30:31 PM6/12/12
    to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Ganesh Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    Hello,
    I think there was no rule of one name one plant, in giving Sanskrit names, i think name was given mainly based on character or the action of the plant (medicinal value). Different states have different names so whats wrong in calling Bacopa and Centella as brahmi. no doubt Bacopa is more powerful brain tonic compare to Centella. at the same time its always better to call one plant with one name and one name to one plant. It is very difficult to identify the plants with slokas written in vedas. Which scientists says name brahmi is discarded for Centella?? and WHY???

    In Sanskrit there are names which are applied to several plants based on character or Medicinal value of the plant.....
    eg. Saptrangi, Sankhpuspi and many more...

    and still i cant digest the word illegitimate for common name.... pls explain someone...
    --
     - H.S.

    A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

    Dinesh Valke

    Jun 12, 2012, 3:25:05 PM6/12/12
    to H S, Pankaj Kumar, Ganesh Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    Many thanks HS.
    Have already agreed to not use the word illegitimate - instead would use misinterpreted.
    Anticipating clarifications / thoughts that will help resolve / know whether the name brahmi is to be treated as misinterpreted for Centella asiatica OR whether the name is yet appropriate based on some reasoning - overriding the fact of misinterpretation.

    Regards.
    Dinesh

    Ganesh Kumar

    Jun 12, 2012, 9:49:44 PM6/12/12
    to Dinesh Valke, H S, Pankaj Kumar, Michel H. Porcher, indian...@googlegroups.com
    Dear sir/madam,
    Sorry to differ with respect mandooka parni. it refers to leaf not to plant property. As there are different name for properties. I don't claim to be expert, but done some work on this line. Please see Ayurvediccommunity.com
    Hence name mandooka parni is for leaf and not for property. Reading Ayurvedic sanskrit terms is a different kettle of fish.
    Dr.Ganesh

    Dinesh Valke

    Jan 31, 2022, 10:08:04 AM1/31/22
    to efloraofindia

    Dinesh Valke

    Jan 31, 2022, 10:37:12 AM1/31/22
    to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Mahadeswara, Prasanta Hembram, Lalithamba Avadhanam

    Centella asiatica (L.) Urb.

    Centella asiatica (L.) Urb.

    ken-TEL-uh -- possibly a dimunitive of the Greek kenteo (to prick or pierce) ... Dave's Botanary
    a-see-AT-ee-kuh -- of or from Asia ... Dave's Botanary

    commonly known as: Asiatic pennywort, Indian pennywort, Indian water navelwort, pennyweed, spadeleaf • Assamese: বৰ মানিমুনি bar manimuni • Bengali: থানকুনি thanakuni • Dogri: ब्राह्मी बूटी brahmi booti, घोर सुम्बी ghor-sumbi • Gujarati: બ્રાહ્મી brahmi, ખડબ્રાહ્મી khadabrahmi • Hindi: बल्लारि ballari, भेकी bheki, ब्रह्ममण्डूकी brahmamanduki, ब्राह्मी brahmi, खुलखुडी khulakhudi, मण्डूकी manduki • Kannada: ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು brahmi soppu, ಗದ್ದೆ ಬರಗ gadde baraga, ಇಲೀಕಿವೀ ಸೊಪ್ಪು ilikivi soppu, ಒಂದೆಲಗ ondelaga, ಸರಸ್ವತಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು Saraswati soppu, ತಂಬುಳಿ ಗಿಡ tambuli gida • Konkani: एकपानी ekpani, कारिवणो karivno, उंदरी umdri • Malayalam: കുടകം kutakam, കുടങ്ങൽ kutannal, മുത്തിൾ muttil, കരിന്തക്കാളി karintakkali, സ്ഥലബ്രഹ്മി sthalabrahmi • Manipuri: ꯄꯦꯔꯨꯛ peruk • Marathi: ब्राह्मी brahmi, एकपानी ekpani, कारिवणा karivana, मंडुकपर्णी mandukaparni • Mizo: dar-beng-bur, hnah-bial, lam-bak • Nepali: ब्रम्हबुटि bramhabuti, ब्रह्मी bramhee, घोडताप्रे ghodataapre • Odiya: ମଣ୍ଡୂକପର୍ଣ୍ଣୀ mandukaparnni, ମାଣ୍ଡୁକୀ manduki, ମୂଳ ପର୍ଣ୍ଣୀ mula parnni, ସରସ୍ବତୀ Sarasbati, ଶାରଦା Sharada, ଶ୍ରାବଣୀ shrabani, ସୋମ ବଲ୍ଲୀ soma-balli • Sanskrit: भाण्डी bhandi, भण्डीरी bhandiri, भेकपर्णी bhekaparni, भेकी bheki, ब्राह्मी brahmi, मण्डूकपर्णी mandukaparni, मण्डूकी manduki, सारस्वती Sarasvati • Tamil: கசப்பி kacappi, மதண்டி matanti, பறுணி paruni, பிண்டீரி pintiri, வல்லாரை vallarai, யோசனவல்லி yocana-valli • Telugu: బబస్స babassa, బేకపర్ణము bekaparnamu, బొక్కుడు bokkudu, మండూకబ్రహ్మి mandooka brahmi, మండూకపర్ణి mandukaparni, సరస్వతీ ఆకు Sarasvati aku, వెల్లారాకు vellaaraku • Tulu: ತಿಮರೆ timare • Urdu: بهيکي bheki, منڐوکي manduki

    botanical names: Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. ... synonyms: Hydrocotyle asiatica L. ... and many more synonyms at POWO
    Bibliography / etymology
    The Sanskrit / Ayurvedic name - ब्राह्मी brahmi or ब्रह्मी brahmi is given to Bacopa monnieri (L.) Wettst. ... however, the name has been applied to Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. and few other plants, in some languages of India, most likely due to some of their similar therapeutic use(s).
    ~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
    Asiatic pennywort, Indian pennywort
    Indian water navelwort
    pennyweed, spadeleaf
    ~~~~~ ASSAMESE ~~~~~
    বৰ মানিমুনি bar manimuni
    • XOBDO - A descriptive multilingual dictionary by the people, for the people and of the people of north-east India
    ~~~~~ BENGALI ~~~~~
    ব্রহ্মমন্ডূকী brahmamanduki
    থানকুনি thanakuni
    ~~~~~ DOGRI ~~~~~
    ब्राह्मी बूटी brahmi booti, घोर सुम्बी ghor-sumbi
    ~~~~~ GUJARATI ~~~~~
    બ્રાહ્મી brahmi
    ખડબ્રાહ્મી khadabrahmi
    • वनौषधी [ Vanaushadi ] by Dr Madhukar Bachulkar - Cholekar
    ~~~~~ HINDI ~~~~~
    बल्लारि ballari
    भेकी bheki, मण्डूकी manduki
    ब्रह्ममण्डूकी brahmamanduki, खुलखुडी khulakhudi
    ब्राह्मी brahmi
    • sometimes found written as ब्रह्मी brahmi
    ~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
    ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು brahmi soppu
    ಗದ್ದೆ ಒರಗ gadde oraga
    ಇಲೀಕಿವೀ ಸೊಪ್ಪು ilikivi soppu
    ಒಂದೆಲಗ ondelaga
    ಸರಸ್ವತಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು Saraswati soppu
    • ENVIS - FRLHT
    • Mandayam Digital Library - Latin and Kannada names of indigenous and medicinal plants of Mysore by S G Narsimhachar
    • Shodhganga - Medicinal plants of Tulunadu ... it is one of the well known drugs for intellect development and speech clearance hence the name ಸರಸ್ವತಿ Saraswati; and ಸೊಪ್ಪು soppu = (edible) greens
    ತಂಬುಳಿ ಗಿಡ tambuli gida
    ~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
    एकपानी ekpani
    कारिवणो karivno, उंदरी umdri
    ~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
    കുടകം kutakam
    കുടങ്ങൽ kutannal
    മുത്തിൾ muttil
    കരിന്തക്കാളി karintakkali, സ്ഥലബ്രഹ്മി sthalabrahmi
    ~~~~~ MANIPURI ~~~~~
    ꯄꯦꯔꯨꯛ peruk
    ~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
    ब्राह्मी brahmi
    एकपानी ekpani
    कारिवणा karivana
    मंडुकपर्णी mandukaparni
    ~~~~~ MIZO ~~~~~
    dar-beng-bur
    hnah-bial
    lam-bak
    ~~~~~ NEPALI ~~~~~
    ब्रम्हबुटि bramhabuti, ब्रह्मी bramhee, घोडताप्रे ghodataapre
    • Many thanks to Saroj Kumar Kasaju for help with these names ... efloraofindia
    ~~~~~ ODIA ~~~~~
    ମଣ୍ଡୂକପର୍ଣ୍ଣୀ mandukaparnni, ମୂଳ ପର୍ଣ୍ଣୀ mula parnni, ଶ୍ରାବଣୀ shrabani
    ମାଣ୍ଡୁକୀ manduki, ସରସ୍ବତୀ Sarasbati, ଶାରଦା Sharada, ସୋମ ବଲ୍ଲୀ soma-balli
    ~~~~~ SANSKRIT ~~~~~
    भाण्डी bhandi, भण्डीरी bhandiri, भेकपर्णी bhekaparni, भेकी bheki, मण्डूकपर्णी mandukaparni, मण्डूकी manduki
    ब्राह्मी brahmi, सारस्वती Sarasvati (also सरस्वती Sarasvati)
    ~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
    கசப்பி kacappi, மதண்டி matanti, பறுணி paruni, பிண்டீரி pintiri, யோசனவல்லி yocana-valli
    வல்லாரை vallarai
    ~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
    బబస్స babassa, బేకపర్ణము bekaparnamu, బొక్కుడు bokkudu, మండూకబ్రహ్మి mandooka brahmi, వెల్లారాకు vellaaraku
    మండూకపర్ణి mandukaparni, సరస్వతీ ఆకు Sarasvati aku
    ~~~~~ TULU ~~~~~
    ತಿಮರೆ timare
    ~~~~~ URDU ~~~~~
    بهيکي bheki, منڐوکي manduki
    ~~~~~ x ~~~~~
    Jan 31, 2022, 11:39:07 PM1/31/22
    to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara
    Thank you very very much Mahadeswara ji for the validation.
    Actually, it is written so in the Five Hundred Indian Plants by Basel Mission, Mangalore, which I thought was authoritative in terms of spellings and typos.
    I will do the correction shortly.
    Thank you once again Mahadeswara ji for closely scrutinizing the names.
    Regards.
    Dinesh

    Jan 31, 2022, 11:51:26 PM1/31/22
    to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara
    Also about the note regarding several plants sharing the name, I will leave it to search the blog for the other plants to show up among search results.
    I have started avoiding including other plants in the same blog that share a name; it saves my time considerably.
    Thanks again Mahadeswara ji for the collaboration.
    Regards.
    Dinesh

    Dinesh Valke

    Feb 1, 2022, 1:50:02 AM2/1/22
    to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara
    Kannada name spelling corrected ...

    Centella asiatica (L.) Urb.

    • ಇಲೀಕಿವೀ should be ಇಲಿಕಿವಿ ... many thanks to Dr Mahadeswara Swamy for help with this name ... efloraofindia