Celtis australis

Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist)

May 21, 2021, 8:59:24 AM5/21/21
to efloraofindia
Kashmiri name:Brimij
Habit:Tree.
Habitat:Graveyards in kashmir.
1621601902459.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

May 21, 2021, 9:40:16 AM5/21/21
to efloraofindia
Nice, thanks for sharing Ahmad Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 05/21/21, 07:09:10 PM

J.M. Garg

Jun 10, 2024, 1:49:22 AMJun 10
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh, TAFA, Anil Thakur, Ashwini Bhatia
I think it should be Celtis caucasica (syn: Celtis australis subsp. caucasica (Willd.) C.C.Towns.) as per discussions at Help identify this Celtis species
POWO does not give any distribution of Celtis australis L.in India.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
1621601902459.jpg

Shakir Ahmad

Jun 10, 2024, 1:52:56 AMJun 10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, TAFA, Anil Thakur, Ashwini Bhatia
It is an Alien species.. Reported by Zafar Ahmad Reish from Srinagar city

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2024, 3:03:14 AMJun 10
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Shakir Ji.
Please check the flower.
The flower of C.caucasica is very different from the flower of C.australis.
Most people who do not check the flower may identify it as C.australis.
 Even Lawrence in his book (published in 1895) wrongly identified Brimij as C.australis.
However a look at the flowers makes the difference very clear.
I do not think anyone has reported the presence of tree with flowers like C.australis from Kashmir.
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2024, 3:20:57 PMJun 11
to eFloraofIndia
Yes Taffazul ji, you are right C. caucasica.

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2024, 3:01:51 PMJun 12
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharan Ji,