Help identify this Celtis species

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2024, 9:41:57 AMApr 25
to eFloraofIndia
Dear members,
Am posting photos of a tree which has been identified as Celtis australis previously but I think the ID is not correct as it has green stamens (see photo) while C.australis has yellow stamens. It is called Brimij in Kashmiri and is often  planted in graveyards. Its wood was used in olden days for making yokes of ploughs as it is soft and cool (Lawrence).
Please help ID the correct species.
The photo of tree was taken in Nov23. The photos of flowers were taken in April 23 (it flowers before the leaves appear.). The photo of the leaf was taken in April 2024 . All photos under CC licence (Attribution only)
Regards
Taffazull

TREE9NOV23.jpg
LEAF.JPG
INFLORESCENCE22APRIL2023.jpg
FLOWER.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2024, 1:50:20 AMApr 26
to eFloraofIndia
Just to clarify that photos of flowers were taken in March 2023 and not April 2023
Regards

J.M. Garg

May 2, 2024, 5:45:54 AMMay 2
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA

With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

May 2, 2024, 1:43:46 PMMay 2
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg ji,
In my plant flowers are perfect(the male and female flowers are not separate). Also the leaves are serrated almost to the base as in C.Australis. A look at the photos will make it clear.I think those who identified it as C.australis did it on the basis of the leaves.
It is interesting that Marathi name Bramuj is very similar to the Kàshmiri name Bramij. Celtis genus is an interesting genus and some scholars have identified Lotos tree of greek mythology made famous by Tennyson  as Celtis australis.
In Kashmir Brimij is planted in graveyards and shrines attesting to some now forgotten mythology.associated with the tree.
Regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

May 3, 2024, 12:28:51 AMMay 3
to eFloraofIndia
Some photos of leaves
LEAF1.JPG
LEAF2.JPG
LEAF3.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

May 3, 2024, 7:21:51 AMMay 3
to eFloraofIndia
Photo of flower of C.Australis from illustration in Public Domain  https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8509  for comparison.
FLOWERWIKIPEDIACOMMONS.jpg

taffa...@gmail.com

May 7, 2024, 6:37:05 AMMay 7
to eFloraofIndia
One more photo showing about 1cm long stipules and petioles of same length
STIPULES.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

May 14, 2024, 8:48:29 AMMay 14
to eFloraofIndia
Gurcharan Ji in the list of Kashmiri names posted on this site has identified Brimij as Celtis caucasica.
So I would take this plant to be C.caucasica.
I could not locate a photo of the flower of C.caucasica  on the net by google search.
I hope the photo of flowers posted by me will be useful in this regard.
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2024, 1:21:59 AMMay 25
to eFloraofIndia
Taffazul ji
Celtis australis Linn. which was once considered to be widely distributed and reported from India also in FBI and Brandis is now considered distributed in mostly Europe,
and as such C. australis of Indian Authors incl FBI, Brandis i.e. Auct. (Non Linn.) distributed in Himalayas, Pakistan, Afhanistan etc. is correctly C. caucasica Willd.

taffa...@gmail.com

May 26, 2024, 2:27:02 AMMay 26
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Many thanks for confirmation.
Photos of flowers which I have posted are very different from those of C.australis and led me to suspect that it is a different species which was confirmed from the list of Kashmiri names of plants that you had posted.
Regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

May 29, 2024, 7:30:58 AMMay 29
to eFloraofIndia
An important feature which some authors have mentioned is that the two lobes of the stigma  are not equal in length (See Photo)
FLOWER.JPG