Id needed for palm

Rajendra Shinde

Jun 29, 2009, 11:19:00 AM6/29/09
to indiantreepix Indian

Hello,
Does anyone know this palm? Need an ID.
Thanks.

Rajendra
P1010493.JPG
P1010495.JPG
P1010498.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Jun 29, 2009, 11:24:10 AM6/29/09
to Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
... many thanks for sharing.
Regards.

sibdas

Jun 29, 2009, 12:36:01 PM6/29/09
to indiantreepix
A wild guess! May be a Chinese paln- Livistonia sp.
>  P1010493.JPG
> 317KViewDownload
>
>  P1010495.JPG
> 449KViewDownload
>
>  P1010498.JPG
> 457KViewDownload

Kenneth Greby

Jun 29, 2009, 12:40:07 PM6/29/09
to indiantreepix Indian, Rajendra Shinde
Rajendra--

 Looks like Mexican fan palm, Washingtonia robusta, to me.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

sibdas

Jun 29, 2009, 1:12:40 PM6/29/09
to indiantreepix
Difficult to distinguish between maxican fan palm and chinese fan
palm. I have not seen mexican fan palm in fl, but infl. here indicate
it as Chinese fan palm - Livingstonia chinensis

On Jun 29, 9:40 pm, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rajendra--
>
>  Looks like Mexican fan palm, Washingtonia robusta, to me.
>
> Regards--
> Ken Greby.

fst...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2009, 3:20:28 PM6/29/09
to indiantreepix, sibdas
Sibdas--

 Agreed that Washingtonia robusta and Livistona chinensis can be difficult to differentiate, especially photos of them.

 Here is a pic of Washingtonia robusta inflorescence:

http://media.naplesnews.com/npdn/content/img/photos/2008/06/14/washingtonian2_t220.jpg

-----------------------

 Livistona chinensis normally has armed petioles only as a juvenile tree, whereas Washingtonia robusta is armed throughout its lifespan.

 Also, if the tree is taller than, say, 12-15m, it is most likely Washingtonia. Livistona seldom exceeds 12m, at least in the USA.

Regards--
Ken Greby

sibdas

Jun 30, 2009, 1:59:21 AM6/30/09
to indiantreepix
Thanks Ken- for the information. However, it is still not clear to me
whether it is Livistonia or Washingtonia. From photos infl. look
alike. From Rajendra's Photo , I could not make out whether the fronds
are armed (possibly not), one website says L. chinensis has average
height of 15m. Perhaps Rajendra can help us closely looking at the
trees, the fronds in particular.- Regards

On Jun 30, 12:20 am, fstf...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Sibdas--
>
>  Agreed that Washingtonia robusta and Livistona chinensis can be difficult to differentiate, especially photos of them.
>
>  Here is a pic of Washingtonia robusta inflorescence:
>
> http://media.naplesnews.com/npdn/content/img/photos/2008/06/14/washin...
>

> -----------------------
>
>  Livistona chinensis normally has armed petioles only as a juvenile tree, whereas Washingtonia robusta is armed throughout its lifespan.
>
>  Also, if the tree is taller than, say, 12-15m, it is most likely Washingtonia. Livistona seldom exceeds
>  12m, at least in the USA.
>
> Regards--
> Ken Greby

satish pardeshi

Jun 30, 2009, 6:07:43 AM6/30/09
to indiantreepix
hello all
this can be Livistonia rotundifolia
the fruit are bright orange when rip, abt 2-3 cm across.
livistonia chinensis has green turning black fruits.
regards

Satish Pardeshi

Gurcharan Singh

May 1, 2021, 8:01:17 AM5/1/21