Ligustrum indicum

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 27, 2023, 11:22:29 AM8/27/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tabish

Tabish

Aug 30, 2023, 10:54:33 PM8/30/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
The renaming comes from the attached paper where Ligustrum nepalense Wall. is an accepted species. Ligustrum indicum is a synonym of Ligustrum sinense, but that does not include specimens found in India. The paper mentions that the species found in India are either Ligustrum nepalense Wall. or Ligustrum confusum Decne. Ligustrum confusum Decne. is distributed in NE India, Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, Burma, China (Yunnan) and Thailand. The paper says: "To judge from notes with several of the specimens, this species often grows on stream and river banks." We found it growing wild in Manipur, on a stream side. Looking at images on Flora of Bhutan and the illustration at FOC, I think the plant on FOI is Ligustrum confusum.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Ligustrum confusum.pdf

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 31, 2023, 12:38:54 AM8/31/23
to Tabish, Dinesh Valke, efloraindia, J.M. Garg

Thank you Tabish.

In that case Nepali name will also change as कनिके फूल Kanike Phool.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 31, 2023, 1:07:20 AM8/31/23
to Tabish, efloraindia
Dear Tabish,

Could you please look into my posts on Ligustrum in efi?

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Sep 8, 2023, 4:00:42 AM9/8/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish
I have given feedback in your individual posts, pl. see.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 12, 2023, 7:42:15 AM9/12/23
to Tabish, Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia
Hi, Tabish ji,
There is another species in the area, which we determined as L.compactum as per details at
https://efloraofindia.com/2020/07/03/ligustrum-compactum/
Pl. check FOI images for this also.
I am not able to reach the decision due to lack of details and low res. images.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

Sep 12, 2023, 3:27:13 PM9/12/23
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia
Thank you Garg ji for pointing out this species - I was not aware of it. Saroj's images here seem to agree perfectly with the description of flowers of Ligustrum compactum at Flora of China :
 Corolla 3.5-5 mm; tube ca. as long as lobes. Stamens reaching apex of corolla lobes...
In Saroj's images the stamens are really reaching the tip of the petals, and the petals are about as long as the flower-tube.
In the flowers of the species under discussion on FOI (which I determined as Ligustrum confusum) the petals are shorter than the flower-tube, and the stamens appear to be shorter than the petals.
 Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Tabish

Sep 12, 2023, 11:52:24 PM9/12/23
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia
Garg ji,
  Attaching the original resolution pics of the Ligustrum species from Manipur that is there on FOI. Although detail of the leaves is missing from these pics, the number of veins on the leaves seem to agree with Ligustrum confusum:
   Ligustrum compactum:  primary veins 9-15 on each side of midrib
   Ligustrum confusumprimary veins 4-6 on each side of midrib
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Ligustrum confusum-1.jpg