WhitePinkishWildflower

JANAKI TURAGA

Mar 22, 2009, 12:57:37 PM3/22/09
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Hi all,
Would appreciate if someone can identify this lovely vine.
This delicate vine was trailing along the ground and climbing up some low shrubs in a wasteland near wheat fields.
Its funnel shaped flowers were white and pinkish in colour.
Lovely flowers!
Thanks
Janaki Turaga
WhitePinkWildflowerCollage.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Mar 22, 2009, 1:36:49 PM3/22/09
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian, JANAKI TURAGA
Looks like one of the bindweeds, perhaps Lesser bindweed, Convovulus arvensis.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Broward County, Florida USA

Saurabh Sawant

Mar 22, 2009, 1:27:43 PM3/22/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Ipomoea marginata

Regards,
Saurabh
--
Regards,
Saurabh Sawant

J.M. Garg

Mar 22, 2009, 10:57:18 PM3/22/09
to Saurabh Sawant, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Hi, Janaki ji,
I agree with Ken ji.
I think it's Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis). Attached my pictures here.
See from earlier post on it from Indiantreepix Database:
Convolvulus arvensis Convolvulaceae Field Bindweed On 20/7/08 around agricultural fields at Agriculture University in Hyderabad, AP. Convolvulus arvensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Ipomoea convolvulata - indiantreepix | Google Groups

2009/3/22 Saurabh Sawant <masterm...@gmail.com>

Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) in Hyderabad, AP I2 IMG_0133.jpg
Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_0133.jpg
Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_0134.jpg

Saurabh Sawant

Mar 22, 2009, 11:30:03 PM3/22/09
to J.M. Garg, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
This is Convolvulaceae. Ipomoea marginata and Convolvulus marginatus are same. And I still think this is Convolvulus marginatus.

Regards,
Saurabh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 23, 2009, 1:11:14 AM3/23/09
to Saurabh Sawant, J.M. Garg, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
... now there is some confusion in my mind ... I have come to believe Ipomoea marginata to be what I have here:

... and it would lead me to think like Saurabh ji
... UNLESS
1) what I have been considering as I. marginata is supposed to be C. arvensis
2) I. marginata and C. arvensis are very similar and easily confused.

The distribution of C. arvensis put at NPGS / GRIN, especially where it is native to, are countries in temperate regions.
Image results that show hastate leaves of C. arvensis seem to have a kind of bulge in the centre before narrowing to apex.

What I see as I. marginata, have its young leaves hastate and the older ones cordate.

I am eager to know where the confusion is.

Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Mar 23, 2009, 1:42:35 AM3/23/09
to Saurabh Sawant, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Greetings all--

 I am by no means an expert in this family, and I am not familiar with the technical differences between the species discussed.

 My chief experience with Convovulus arvanesis is as an extremely pernicious weed in Southern California (USA). It is perhaps the most difficult to control of landscape weeds there, particularly in groundcover beds. It develops a strongly-branched root system and is very resistant to most commercially-available herbicides. As such, I cannot recommend it as a landscape plant; enjoy it from a distance!

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 23, 2009, 11:56:58 AM3/23/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, Saurabh Sawant, J.M. Garg, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
APOLOGIES !!! (Ken ji, Garg ji, and to all)
Photo posted by Janaki ji could be C. arvensis just as Ken ji and Garg ji pointed out.

I mistook the photo attachments in Garg ji's post to be of Janaki ji's.
My earlier posted message in this thread referred to Garg ji's attached photos ... I see them as different flowers.

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2009, 12:15:14 PM3/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, fst...@yahoo.com, Saurabh Sawant, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Hi, Dinesh ji,
Do you mean to say that my attached pictures are not of C. arvensis?

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Dinesh Valke

Mar 23, 2009, 12:35:45 PM3/23/09
to J.M. Garg, fst...@yahoo.com, Saurabh Sawant, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
... yes, Garg ji ... that's what I believe ... not being adamant about it, however :)
I would want at least some friend(s) to validate that there is indeed difference in flowers (of Janaki ji's and Garg ji's)
and of course best if someone also considers the plant in your photo to be Ipomoea marginata (syn. Ipomoea sepiaria, Convolvulus marginatus).

Here is the fine and bold print: I may be wrong.

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2009, 1:03:05 PM3/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, fst...@yahoo.com, Saurabh Sawant, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Hi, Dinesh ji,
I think you are right. I am attaching an additional photo which I found on further checking & processed. It's of the same , picture of which I attached earlier. Pl. confirm.

Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_0135.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 23, 2009, 1:08:53 PM3/23/09
to J.M. Garg, fst...@yahoo.com, Saurabh Sawant, JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
Garg ji, yes, again - I. marginata.
Regards.

Tabish

Mar 23, 2009, 1:11:28 PM3/23/09
to indiantreepix
I think Dinesh has put it correctly:
1. Photo posted by Janaki is Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)
2. Photos posted by Garg ji are NOT Field Bindweed - most likely they
are of Ipomoea marginata
Although the leaves look very similar, the flower shape of the two is
different, if viewed from the side. I. marginata has funnel shaped
flowers with long, narrow "neck" of the funnel. Field Bindweed flowers
are more like cones, with almost no narrow tube above the sepals.
Also, the pink-white striping is typical in some forms of Field
Bindweed, although there are pure white forms also.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On Mar 23, 9:35 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... yes, Garg ji ... that's what I believe ... not being adamant about it,
> however :)
> I would want at least some friend(s) to validate that there is indeed
> difference in flowers (of Janaki ji's and Garg ji's)
> and of course best if someone also considers the plant in your photo
> to be *Ipomoea
> marginata* (syn. *Ipomoea sepiaria*, *Convolvulus marginatus*).
>
> I see your flowers matching what I have athttp://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344@N00&q=Ipomoea+marginata&m=text
>
> Here is the fine and bold print: *I may be wrong*.
>
> Regards.
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Dinesh ji,
> > Do you mean to say that my attached pictures are not of *C. arvensis?*
>
> > 2009/3/23 Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>
>
> >  APOLOGIES !!! (Ken ji, Garg ji, and to all)
> >> Photo posted by Janaki ji could be *C. arvensis* just as Ken ji and Garg
> >> ji pointed out.
>
> >> I mistook the photo attachments in Garg ji's post to be of Janaki ji's.
> >> My earlier posted message in this thread referred to Garg ji's attached
> >> photos ... I see them as different flowers.
>
> >> Regards.

JANAKI TURAGA

Mar 23, 2009, 2:01:37 PM3/23/09
to treepix Indian, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Thanks Saurabh, Ken, Gargji, Dinesh Valke, Tabish- not just for helping in identifying the flower, but also for a very envigorating discussion.
Additional information:
Janaki Turaga