Ipomoea convolvulata

J.M. Garg

Aug 2, 2008, 11:51:51 PM8/2/08
to indiantreepix
On 20/7/08 around agricultural fields at Agriculture University in Hyderabad, AP. Identification was done by Chitra ji in the field. I am not finding any details/ pictures in the books I have & on the net.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Aug 3, 2008, 7:16:36 AM8/3/08
to indiantreepix
Here is reply from Shrikant ji identifying it as Convolvulus arvensis:
"Dear Mr. Garg
You have probably not opened the Identick CD as yet. You could have clicked in Identify mode on the convolvulaceae family, herb habit and cultivations habitat for zeroizing on Convolvulus arvensis. You can get remaining details by clicking on the Sc, name in the search mode. You will find this extremely user friendly. Pls send your comments. Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar"

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus_arvensis

Convolvulus arvensis (Field Bindweed) is a species of bindweed, native to Europe and Asia. It is a climbing or creeping herbaceous perennial plant growing to 0.5-2 m high. The leaves are spirally arranged, linear to arrowhead-shaped, 2-5 cm long, with a 1-3 cm petiole. The flowers are trumpet-shaped, 1-2.5 cm diameter, white or pale pink, with five slightly darker pink radial stripes.

There are two varieties:

  • Convolvulus arvensis var. arvensis. Leaves broader.
  • Convolvulus arvensis var. linearifolius. Leaves narrower.

Although it produces attractive flowers, it is often unwelcome in gardens as a nuisance weed due to its rapid growth and choking of cultivated plants. It has been introduced to North America, where it is an invasive species in some areas. Its dense mats invade agricultural fields and reduce crop yields; it is estimated that crop losses due to this plant in the United States exceeded US$377 million in the year 1998 alone. [1]

Other common names, mostly obsolete, include lesser bindweed, European bindweed, withy wind (in basket willow crops), perennial morning glory, smallflowered morning glory, creeping jenny, and possession vine. It is called leli in Punjabi.

In one of the tales collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Our Lady's Little Glass, this flower is used by Our Lady to drink wine with when she helps free a wagoner's cart. The story goes on to say that "the little flower is still always called Our Lady's Little Glass."

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2009, 10:04:26 PM3/23/09
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Tabish, JANAKI TURAGA, Kenneth Greby
Thanks, Dinesh ji, Tabish ji, Ken ji & Janaki ji.
In view of discussions in recent thread: http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/49aaedfd56d52399
Correct Id for this thread also will be Ipomoea marginata. I am also attaching one more picture of the same plant.
2008/8/3 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) in Hyderabad, AP Im IMG_7910.jpg

satish phadke

Mar 24, 2009, 2:30:10 AM3/24/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I have shot these flowers near Baramati Pune on 15 Mar 2009.I think this is again Convolvulus arvensis.
Satish

2008/8/3 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
Covolvulus arvensis.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 24, 2009, 2:39:02 AM3/24/09
to satish phadke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Satish ji, this is Ipomoea marginata (syn. I. sepiaria, Convolvulus marginatus).
Regards.

satish phadke

Mar 24, 2009, 10:48:10 AM3/24/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Ok Thanks................Not much knowledge about Ipomoeas.
Satish

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com