Michelia champaka -blooming in Chennai

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 11, 2010, 3:43:03 PM7/11/10
to indiantreepix
This tree with fragrant flowers is blooming in Chennai now.
Padmini Raghavan.
At Rani's 013.jpg
At Rani's 015.jpg
At Rani's 018.jpg
At Rani's 020.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Jul 12, 2010, 3:11:24 AM7/12/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Padmini jee this is not Michelia champaka

this is Desmos praecox
Family: Annonaceae

Tabish

Jul 12, 2010, 3:31:02 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
This looks like Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Ylang%20Ylang.html
- Tabish

On Jul 12, 12:11 pm, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Padmini jee this is not Michelia champaka
>
> this is Desmos praecox
> Family: Annonaceae

mani nair

Jul 12, 2010, 3:31:11 AM7/12/10
to ajinkya gadave, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Yes this Desmos praecox from the Sitaphal family.

Regards,

Mani.

Tabish

Jul 12, 2010, 3:35:32 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
I think Mani's suggestion is right, Desmos praecox. Looks quite
similar to Ylang Ylang.
- Tabish

On Jul 12, 12:31 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes this Desmos praecox from the Sitaphal family.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Padmini jee this is not Michelia champaka
>
> > this is Desmos praecox
> > Family: Annonaceae

ajinkya gadave

Jul 12, 2010, 4:01:41 AM7/12/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Difference between

1) Michelia champaka 2) Desmos praecox 3) Cananga odorata

123.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 7:39:28 AM7/12/10
to ajinkya gadave, Tabish, efloraofindia
Desmos praecox indeed!!
Close up of the flowers from the link below
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Desmos_praecox.htm
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Rashida Atthar

Jul 12, 2010, 9:42:36 AM7/12/10
to ajinkya gadave, Tabish, efloraofindia
Excellent comparative pictures Ajinkya ji. Thanks.

regards,
Rashida.

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 13, 2010, 1:29:34 PM7/13/10
to mani nair, ajinkya gadave, indiantreepix
I can appreciate the fact that it is related to Sitaphal as the leaves were hanging down in pairs just like those of Sitaphal.
Padmini Raghavan.

malyada

Jul 13, 2010, 11:58:31 PM7/13/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, the comparative pictures are great. Does anyone know the common
name for Desmos?
Checked out on flowersofindia, not present there as well.

On Jul 13, 10:29 pm, Padmini Raghavan <padi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can appreciate the fact that it is related to Sitaphal as the leaves were
> hanging down in pairs just like those of Sitaphal.
> Padmini Raghavan.
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:01 PM, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes this Desmos praecox from the Sitaphal family.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Mani.
>
> >   On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM, ajinkya gadave <
> > ajinkyagad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Padmini jee this is not Michelia champaka
>
> >> this is Desmos praecox
> >> Family: Annonaceae

Tabish

Jul 14, 2010, 12:51:16 AM7/14/10
to efloraofindia
Desmos species are commonly known as Unona. Desmos praecox may be
called Early-Flowering Unona.
- Tabish

Tabish

Jul 14, 2010, 2:41:33 AM7/14/10
to efloraofindia
After looking at this closely, it appears to me that instead of being
Desmos praecox, this one could be Desmos chinensis (Syn: Unona
discolor), for the following reasons:
1. Desmos praecox is supposed to flower in February, much earlier than
other Desmos species, as indicated by the species name "praecox" which
means early flowering. Padmini's pictures were taken in early July.
So, flowering time doesn't quite agree.
2. Leaves of Desmos praecox are described as lanceshaped, long-pointed
(acuminate). Leaves of Desmos chinensis are described as ovate-
lanceshaped, with somewhat cordate base. Leaves in Padmini's pictures
appear to be with a flat base, not really a pointed base, and look too
broad to be called lanceshaped.
3. Leaves of Desmos chinensis are described to be smooth above, and
glaucous below. In Padmini's 3rd picture, the galucous underside of
some leaves is visible.
4. Flowers of Desmos chinensis are supposed to be very fragrant. I
could not find mention of any prominent fragrance in the description
of Desmos praecox.
Comments from experts are needed.
PS: Pictures on toptropicals.com may not be 100% trustworthy.
- Tabish

Tabish

Jul 14, 2010, 2:43:04 AM7/14/10
to efloraofindia
One more this which I forgot to add is that in Desmos praecox the
flowers appear either before the leaves, or with young leaves. Here,
they appear with seemingly mature leaves.
- Tabish

J.M. Garg

Sep 4, 2010, 6:21:01 AM9/4/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish, mani nair, Padmini Raghavan, ajinkya gadave, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara Swamy, Smilax004

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Padmini jee this is not Michelia champaka

this is Desmos praecox
Family: Annonaceae” from Ajinkya ji.

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

At Rani's 013.jpg
At Rani's 015.jpg
At Rani's 018.jpg
At Rani's 020.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2010, 8:44:20 AM9/9/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish, mani nair, Padmini Raghavan, ajinkya gadave, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara Swamy, Smilax004
A reply from Mahadeswara ji:
" Looks like Desmos praecox only. Change in Blooming period may be  due to  change in climatic conditions."

JM Garg

Mar 15, 2014, 1:39:04 PM3/15/14
to efloraofindia

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please as Desmos chinensis or Desmos praecox pl.

At Rani's 013.jpg
At Rani's 015.jpg
At Rani's 018.jpg
At Rani's 020.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 15, 2014, 1:42:02 PM3/15/14
to efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan
Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please as Desmos chinensis or Desmos praecox pl.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2265 members & 1,82,700 messages on 28/2/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9000 species & 1,80,000 images).

At Rani's 013.jpg
At Rani's 015.jpg
At Rani's 018.jpg
At Rani's 020.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2021, 2:01:42 AM4/4/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Desmos chinensis ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2021, 2:03:07 AM4/4/21
to indiantreepix, pad...@gmail.com
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Desmos chinensis ?
Group discussion at

At Rani's 013.jpg
At Rani's 015.jpg
At Rani's 018.jpg
At Rani's 020.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Apr 4, 2021, 6:23:52 AM4/4/21
to efloraindia, pad...@gmail.com
Desmos chinensis Lour. could be the closest match though
peduncle looks a bit longer .
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Chennuru Nagendra

Apr 5, 2021, 1:23:27 AM4/5/21
to efloraofindia
Good presentation of flowers

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 04/05/21, 10:52:52 AM

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2021, 7:33:22 AM4/8/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Padmini Raghavan
Thanks, Saroj ji, for the validation.
I also agree with you for Desmos chinensis as per Wikipedia, Useful tropical Plants, Toptropicals, POWO, Hong Kong herbarium, Gardino, FoPI

With regards,
J.M.Garg
At Rani's 013.jpg
At Rani's 015.jpg
At Rani's 018.jpg
At Rani's 020.jpg

navendu page

Apr 8, 2021, 7:34:53 AM4/8/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Padmini Raghavan
Looks like Cananga odorata

Navendu

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2021, 8:06:21 AM4/8/21
to navendu page, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Padmini Raghavan, Tabish, ajinkya gadave
Thanks, Navendu ji,
There was a long discussion at Michelia champaka -blooming in Chennai
I also go with you after seeing images at Cananga odorata
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 12, 2021, 6:29:38 AM6/12/21
to efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan
it looks like Artabotrys harmandii- from Mohamed Shawqi ji

Jun 12, 2021, 6:31:15 AM6/12/21
to efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan
Hi, Shawqi ji,
It has been identified as Cananga odorata
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

paradesia...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2021, 9:36:59 AM6/12/21
to efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan
Yes it's Garg Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/12/21, 07:06:23 PM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 at 15:58, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
it looks like Artabotrys harmandii- from Mohamed Shawqi ji

Mahadeswara

Jun 13, 2021, 12:01:29 AM6/13/21
to efloraofindia
It is Cananga odorata only.  Common here .

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:06:59 PM UTC+5:30 paradesia...@gmail.com wrote:
Yes it's Garg Ji,
With regards.