Malbar Pied hornbills favourite hont - The Yellow teak trees.

raghu ananth

Nov 22, 2009, 8:57:41 AM11/22/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Malbar Pied hornbills favourite hont  - The  Yellow teak trees.

Local Names: Heddi, Arishina thega, Hettega)

English Yelow Tteak

Scientific: Adina cordifolia

Fam Rubiaeae

/*

 Excerpts from our travelogue.....

We reached Dandeli in the morning and the first place on our itinerary was the old Timber Yard which falls under the purview of the Forest Department. An unorthodox choice one would think except for one small significant detail – the opportunity to see a good number of Malabar Pied Hornbills all in one place. Many of them nest in the larg Heddi trees (Yellow teak). On reaching here, we found that the rains had turned the ground into a green carpet while the trees looked lush and green. We had barely walked a kilometer when the first Hornbill we sighted was met with a whoop of joy. These creatures are wary of people and the moment they spot them, they try to hide in the branches or fly to a far off tree. Not an easy thing to do, given their large and curved yellow beaks which can be seen sticking out, however high in the tree they perch themselves. We walked on and at one place counted ten Hornbills on a tree. Our guide said early mornings are the best time to spot them and it is not uncommon to see hundreds of them here. Another creature that delighted us thoroughly was the Malabar Giant squirrel. We followed the antics of one as it feasted on some leaves and then raced down a tree to pick up some berries from the ground and then race back up the tree again.

*/

Regards

Sunita / Raghu /Sunil

Dandeli Timber Yard, Uttara Kannada District, June 2009

DSC_4253.jpg
DSC_4273.jpg
DSC_4278.jpg
DSC_4288.jpg
DSC_4309.jpg
DSC_4303.jpg

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Nov 22, 2009, 9:25:35 AM11/22/09
to indiantreepix
There are two orchids on the branches in the fourth pic. One on the
right hand side in the middle and second on the left hand side - +
quarter. Dont know what, as the pic is not clear!! so cant confirm.On
the riht hand side plant, if those are long stalks of dry
inflorescence then it has to be something interesting.
Regards
Pankaj

Neil Soares

Nov 22, 2009, 10:33:59 AM11/22/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi Raghu,
 Beautiful photographs but this is not a Haldu / Hedu [Haldina cordifolia] tree. Please check.
                   With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

--- On Sun, 11/22/09, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

English Yelow Tteak

Scientific: Adina cordifolia

Fam Rubiaeae

/*

 Excerpts from our travelogue.....

*/

Regards

Sunita / Raghu /Sunil

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 22, 2009, 10:42:53 AM11/22/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
the leaves rather remind me of Tectona grandis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Nayan Singh

Nov 22, 2009, 9:21:44 PM11/22/09
to raghu ananth, indiantreepix
Are all the photos of same plant ???
the cordate leaves area missing
the bark on trunk is looking different
thanks

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Nov 23, 2009, 1:38:52 AM11/23/09
to Nayan Singh, raghu ananth, indiantreepix
Magnificent pics, Sunita / Raghu /Sunil. I wonder why the hornbill would favour the teak tree? Perhaps because they are shy as you mentioned and the various teaks tend to have broad shade-providing leaves. Hornbills otherwise require a considerable tree hollow for nesting and their diet is cheifly fruit/nuts partuculalrly figs. Let's not be niaive in thinking they are pure vegetarians as they do take the occasional bit of 'non-veg' particularly while nesting, besides, every fig contains fig wasp larvae.

All the best and thanks!

James

2009/11/23 Nayan Singh <ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in>

--