Dregea volubilis ID 310809GS1

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2009, 2:03:28 PM8/31/09
to indiantreepix
This is what I think Dregea volubilis in flower, please confirm

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Dregea-volubilis.jpg
Dregea-volubilis-2.jpg
Dregea-volubilis-3.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 31, 2009, 2:13:37 PM8/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
... indeed, Gurcharan ji.

Regards.
3538864606_9c7d68281d_b.jpg
2617414125_fd7e7dfbb4_b.jpg
2618382224_bb4e9dc277_b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2009, 2:21:07 PM8/31/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
My specimens seem to be much more velvety, is it normal?

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Dinesh Valke

Aug 31, 2009, 2:29:43 PM8/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
... I am afraid I cannot voice on that, Gurcharan ji.
I will take it as normal; however hoping some friend comes to rescue, and validates :-)

Adding common names of this plant: cotton milk plant, green milkweed climber, green wax flower, sneezing silk • Assamese: খমল লতা khamal lata • Bengali: titakunga • Gujarati: માલતી malati • Hindi: अकड़ बेल akad bel, हरणडोडी harandodi, नखछिकनी nak-chikni • Kannada: ದುಗ್ಧಿವೆ dugdhive • Konkani: अमरी ambri • Malayalam: velipparuthi • Marathi: हरणदोडी harandodi, नखसिकणी nakhasikani • Oriya: dudghika • Sanskrit: हेमजिवन्ती hemajivanti • Tamil: கொடிப்பாலை koti-p-palai • Telugu: దూదిపాలతీగ dudipalatiga

Neil Soares

Aug 31, 2009, 11:19:57 PM8/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Hi Prof. Singh & Dinesh,
          Sending you some of my photographs for comparison.
                           Regards,
                             Neil Soares.

--- On Mon, 8/31/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wattakaka volubilis.jpg
Wattakaka volubilis flowers.jpg
Wattakaka volubilis flowers 1.jpg

Pardeshi S.

Sep 1, 2009, 1:35:07 AM9/1/09
to indiantreepix
Hello Singh Ji, Dinesh Ji and Neil Ji
please check in Cooke's Flora
it says
Corolla hairy outside......Marsdenia tenacissima (Dregea Tenacissima)
Corolla glabrous outside......M. volubilis

the description of M. tenacissima: A large twinning shrub, old stem
with grey corky bark, BRANCHLETS SOFTLY PUBESCENT.

the description of M. volubilis: A large twinning shrub, older BRANCES
GLABROUS.
Hence i feel it can be Marsdenia tenacissima
however i had not seen Marsdenia tenacissima, but collected Dregea
volubilis and can say the pubescent plant is different that D.
volubilis.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 2:49:18 AM9/1/09
to Pardeshi S., indiantreepix
Satish ji and friends, ... a search on internet, I found these links, possibly may help in ID of Gurcharan ji's plant.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 4:04:39 AM9/1/09
to satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix
Below is Satish ji's response ...

Gurcharan ji, you had rightly doubted about your plant being Dregea volubilis. Many thanks to you; an enlightening post.
Please check Marsdenia tinacissima (syn. D. tinacissima) as pointed out by Satish ji.

Regards.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM, satish pardeshi <satishp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Dinesh Ji
looking at the pic of the plant which you provided in the link
i believe the plant is Marsdenia tinacissima ie D. tinacissima

regards
Satish Pardeshi

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2009, 8:27:29 AM9/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish pardeshi, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks Satish ji
I will concentrate on Marsdenia tenacissima and report back soon.

Garg ji, with persons  like Satish Valke, Satish Phadke. Dinesh, Devendra, Tabish, Neil, Prashant, Swagat, Nayan,  Pankaj, Rani, Yazdi, Thiru (and several others actively contributing in the group), who have such a keen eye, zeal to investigate and not take a names published in Floras  foregranted, the group has a great future. We should not be surprised if the real face of Indian Flora has a changed look soon. Recent interactions on the group give a strong indication that probably Indian Flora is much more and different than what we know at present.
   Not to forget the inputs of our keen photographers in the group, with little or no training in the study of plants, supplying a wide array of beautiful photographs from different parts of India.

Please keep up the spirit.

Satish Phadke

Sep 1, 2009, 8:59:45 AM9/1/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
I believe this is Wattakaka volubilis
 a climber
from Aesclepediaceae.Very common in Pune
Don't know which is the latest name.
Dr Phadke Satish

2009/8/31 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2009, 9:23:44 AM9/1/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, satish pardeshi, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix
Satish ji
I think you missed the thread. It has travelled a long distance. Here it is

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Sep 3, 2009, 3:31:02 PM9/3/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, satish pardeshi, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix
Here are the fruits, it probably finally confirms Marsdenia tenacissima. please verify.
Marsdenia-tenacissima-.jpg

Tabish

Sep 27, 2009, 1:54:12 PM9/27/09
to indiantreepix
This doesn't look like Marsdenia tenacissima for the following
reasons:
1. The peduncle (the stalk carrying the flowers cluster) in the
picture looks nearly as long as a leaf. In Marsdenia tenacissima,
leaves are 8-10 cm long, whereas the peduncle is only up to 2 cm long.
Infact, leaf stalks are supposed to be longer than the peduncle.
2. The paired seedpods are stalkless here, whereas in the illustration
at Flora of China, they are clearly stalked, and of a different shape
too:
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=85989&flora_id=2
3. In Marsdenia tenacissima, the flowers are borne in branched
clusters, whereas in the pic here, they are in a very symmetric
cluster, reminiscent of Dregea volubilis.
Interestingly, the paired fruit of Dregea volubilis is stalkless. So,
it maybe something close to Dregea volubilis.
- Tabish

On Sep 4, 12:31 am, "Gurcharan Singh" <sin...@sify.com> wrote:
> Here are the fruits, it probably finally confirms Marsdenia tenacissima. please verify.
>
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Associate Professor
> SGTB Khalsa College
> University of Delhi, Delhi
> Indiahttp://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
>     On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM, satish pardeshi <satishparde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       Hello Dinesh Ji
>       looking at the pic of the plant which you provided in the link
>       i believe the plant is Marsdenia tinacissima ie D. tinacissima
>
>       regards
>       Satish Pardeshi
>
>       On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Dinesh Valke<dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
>       > Satish ji and friends, ... a search on internet, I found these links,
>       > possibly may help in ID of Gurcharan ji's plant.
>
>       > 1)http://www.plant.ac.cn/dan_tu/26/20897.htm
>       > 2)http://www.plant.ac.cn/dan_tu/13/10834.htm
>       > 3)
>       >http://www.botanypictures.com/plantimages//marsdenia%20tenacissima%20...
>
>       > Regards.
>
>       > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Pardeshi S. <satishparde...@gmail.com>
>       > wrote:
>
>       >> Hello Singh Ji, Dinesh Ji and Neil Ji
>       >> please check in Cooke's Flora
>       >> it says
>       >> Corolla hairy outside......Marsdenia tenacissima (Dregea Tenacissima)
>       >> Corolla glabrous outside......M. volubilis
>
>       >> the description of M. tenacissima: A large twinning shrub, old stem
>       >> with grey corky bark, BRANCHLETS SOFTLY PUBESCENT.
>
>       >> the description of M. volubilis: A large twinning shrub, older BRANCES
>       >> GLABROUS.
>       >> Hence i feel it can be Marsdenia tenacissima
>       >> however i had not seen Marsdenia tenacissima, but collected Dregea
>       >> volubilis and can say the pubescent plant is different that D.
>       >> volubilis.
>
>       >> regards
>       >> Satish Pardeshi
>
>       >> Neil Soares wrote:
>       >> > Hi Prof. Singh & Dinesh,
>       >> >           Sending you some of my photographs for comparison.
>       >> >                            Regards,
>       >> >                              Neil Soares.
>
>       >> > --- On Mon, 8/31/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Marsdenia-tenacissima-.jpg
> 150KViewDownload

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Sep 27, 2009, 3:50:08 PM9/27/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix

Dear Tabish
I had initially identified and uploaded the photographs as Dregea volubilis (as reported in Flora of Delhi), but after a lot of discussions on Indiantreepix, and the fruit led to its identification as Marsdennia tenacissima, because the fruits in Dregea volubilis are 10-15 cm long and longituninally ribbed. Here they are less than 5 cm long, smooth and brown hairy. However, your observations are very valid. We will explore it further. Let us hope to find a close fit. I tried to fit with other species of Dregea but could not find any near match.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

J.M. Garg

Nov 15, 2009, 12:40:34 AM11/15/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, satish pardeshi
"'After ossilating between Dregea volubilis and Marsdenia tenacissima for a long time,  I revisited the plant  after returning from California. I photographed nearly mature fruits which have grown to about 10 cm in length. I want to finally settle for Dregea volubilis. It matches with Dinesh ji's photographs on Flikr. Need your comments.
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

2009/9/28 Dr Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)