Euphrasia himalayica in FOI

J.M. Garg

Sep 1, 2018, 8:47:27 AM9/1/18
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Thingnam Girija
To me Images of Euphrasia himalayica in FOI looks more closer to images and references at Euphrasia platyphylla Pennell rather than those at Euphrasia himalayica Wettst.
Pl. see GBIF (Specimens)  Gbif  High resolution image 1  Gbif High resolution image 2
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

Tabish

Sep 2, 2018, 3:01:53 AM9/2/18
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Girija Thingnam
Dear Garg ji,
   This is a difficult one. According to Pennell 1943, Euphrasia platyphylla is found in Kashmir & Lahaul. Uttarakhand is not mentioned. We have seen it growing only in moist place, so my own thinking is that it is not seen in Ladakh, which is between Kashmir and Lahaul.
  Euphrasia himalayica is found in Uttarakhand, among other places.
So, my guess is that the Euphrasia found in the Valley of Flowers, which well cataloged at EFI, should be Euphrasia himalayica. I am unable to point out botanical characteristics confidently to support this claim, except for the coarse triangular teeth of bracts.
  I am also presenting here some Euphrasia images from Lahaul, taken by myself and Girija. As you can see, its bracts are different from the images of Euphrasia from VOF. Also the markings on the upper lip of the flowers are different. Notice that the mid-lobe of the lower lip is somewhat longer. My thinking is that it is a plant different from the Euphrasia found in VOF.
   Any thoughts on this will be welcome.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Girija.jpg
Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Tabish1.jpg
Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Tabish2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 2, 2018, 7:29:49 AM9/2/18
to Tabish, indiantreepix, Girija Thingnam
Thanks, Tabish ji.
Jammu & Kashmir (Kashmir), NW-India, Nepal is the distribution as per Catalogue of Life;
Images of Euphrasia himalayica in FOI looks different from specimen available of this species at at GBIF (Specimens)  Gbif  High resolution image 1  Gbif High resolution image 2
These specimens are closer to images at Euphrasia himalayica Wettst.

Your Ladakh images definitely is from some other species than those available in efi site.

J.M. Garg

Sep 10, 2018, 8:51:33 AM9/10/18
to efloraofindia, Tabish
Images of Euphrasia himalayica in FOI looks different from specimen available of this species at at GBIF (Specimens)  Gbif  High resolution image 1  Gbif High resolution image 2

J.M. Garg

Sep 18, 2018, 11:48:15 AM9/18/18
to efloraofindia, Tabish, navendu page, Thingnam Girija

J.M. Garg

Oct 2, 2018, 2:18:56 AM10/2/18
to efloraofindia
Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Tabish1.jpg
Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Tabish2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 3, 2021, 6:19:20 AM3/3/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 3, 2021, 6:25:21 AM3/3/21
to indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Nov 27, 2021, 10:44:30 AM11/27/21
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Thingnam Girija, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, DineshValke, Rajesh Sachdev, Saroj Kasaju
Yes, attached images look closer to Euphrasia platyphylla as per GBIF specimen- one and two.

Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Tabish1.jpg
Euphrasia platyphylla-Lahaul-Tabish2.jpg

Tabish

Nov 29, 2021, 2:52:59 PM11/29/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji.