Hoppea dichotoma

Santhan P

Nov 14, 2013, 3:03:06 AM11/14/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
I have observed this herb when i am made my field work near Chennai(Kancheepuram DT). It is Hopea dichotoma of Gentianaceae

Date/Time- 16/02/2013

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS - Chunamped (east coast area near Marakkanam) 50m

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- : Paddy field area, unused well boundary

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- : herb

Height/Length-30- 45 cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- lanceolate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-branched  raceme

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-  Petals white.

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- capsule

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- less frequent
Hoppea dichotoma.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2013, 3:08:24 AM11/14/13
to Santhan P, efloraofindia
Thanks, Dr. Santhan.
Welcome to efloraofindia.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2190 members & 1,72,300 messages on 31/10/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 9000 species & 1,80, 000 images).

Mayur Nandikar

Nov 14, 2013, 4:17:35 AM11/14/13
to J.M. Garg, Santhan P, efloraofindia
Dear Santhan ji,
Thank you for sharing this tiny and endemic herb.
It was described Willdenow in 1801, from Tamil Nadu, the place from which he had the specimen is Tharangambadi (formerly Tranquebar), Nagappatinam district.
Mayur D. Nandikar,
Department of Botany,
Goa University,
Taleigao Plateau,
Goa 403 206

J.M. Garg

Nov 24, 2017, 6:38:05 AM11/24/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Hoppea dichotoma.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 24, 2017, 6:39:53 AM11/24/17
to efloraofindia
Hoppea dichotoma.JPG

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Nov 24, 2017, 8:46:00 AM11/24/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
 It is Hoppea fastigiata (Griseb.) C.B.Clarke, Corolla is exserted here.

J.M. Garg

Nov 24, 2017, 10:18:53 AM11/24/17
to Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, efloraofindia
Thanks, Santhan ji, for your views.

J.M. Garg

Nov 24, 2017, 11:10:48 PM11/24/17
to M Swamy, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, efloraofindia

On 25 November 2017 at 08:57, M Swamy <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
How does it differ from  Hoppea dichotoma.  The plant  in the photograph posted by Santhanm ji  is seen around Chennai also and earlier (many years back)  was identified  as  H.dichotoma, ofcourse not by me.  Hence the question.

J.M. Garg

Nov 26, 2017, 12:03:15 AM11/26/17
to efloraofindia

Dec 1, 2017, 7:46:37 AM12/1/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P, M Swamy

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Looks much different from images at Hoppea dichotoma Willd.
Appears close to images at Hoppea fastigiata (Griseb.) C.B.Clarke (but I am totally unsure).
I am doubtful in view of details & illustration at
http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ac.in/hjcb2/herbsheet.php?id=2263&cat=1 - from me

It is Hoppea fastigiata (Griseb.) C.B.Clarke, Corolla is exserted here. - from Santhan ji

How does it differ from  Hoppea dichotoma.The plant  in the photograph posted by Santhanm ji  is seen around Chennai also and earlier (many years back) was identified  as  H.dichotoma, of course not by me. Hence the question. - from Mahadeswara ji

Thanks, Mahadeswara ji.

Pl. check details & illustration at

Dec 1, 2017, 11:04:42 PM12/1/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P, M Swamy
Thanks, Mahadeswara ji.

Dec 2, 2017, 2:31:42 AM12/2/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P, M Swamy
A reply:
This is a member of Gentianaceae but does not match with Hoppea species.
Kind regards,
Varun

Thanks, Varun ji.

J.M. Garg

Dec 3, 2017, 4:30:08 AM12/3/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P
Thanks, Kunhikannan ji.

Dec 7, 2017, 11:35:19 PM12/7/17
to Santhan P, efloraofindia
Hi, Santhan ji,
What are your final thoughts?
Dec 8, 2017, 11:50:30 AM12/8/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I am seeking the possibility of Centaurium roxburghii or a variation of Hoppea

Thanks &regards
Dr. Santhan P
Senior consulting Botanist/Plant taxonomist
Medicinal & aromatic plant expert
9444813474/9620389349
Our life will be green when we keep our surroundings green

J.M. Garg

Dec 8, 2017, 12:05:10 PM12/8/17
to Santhan P, efloraofindia
Thanks, Santhan jim

J.M. Garg

Dec 15, 2017, 11:37:51 AM12/15/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P
Does not matches with images of any species of Centaurium

Sep 28, 2021, 10:33:27 AM9/28/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at