ID request-080610-PKA1

Prashant awale

Jun 8, 2010, 9:32:56 AM6/8/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this Shrub in Mizoram. Creamy white coloured shining fruits were noticeable even from a distance in forest cover. Do have a look at these snaps.

Date/Time: 9th Nov./11:20AM
Location: Ailawng, Mizoram
Habitat: Wild
Plant Habit: Shrub
Height:70 to 90cm
Leaves: Opposite, 8 to 12 cm, elliptic, lanceolate, acuminate, nerves 10 to 12 pairs, base tapering, petiole 1 to 2cm, tomentose beneath.
Flowers: Not seen
Fruits: Globuse, Creamy white coloured shining, 10 to 12mm dia.

regards
Prashant

DSC00238.JPG
DSC00345.JPG
DSC00239.JPG

tanay bose

Jun 8, 2010, 9:55:11 AM6/8/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant ji,
I have a strong feeling that this may may be Sorbus hupehensis from the family Rosaceae. Kindly validate.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Rashida Atthar

Jun 8, 2010, 10:10:49 AM6/8/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Or may be Sorbaria tomentosa (Lindley) Rehder as per Aima's book. common names Bhiloka, Kathi, kyans.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 8, 2010, 10:13:31 AM6/8/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Tanay
You seem to have caught it, but leaves would be helpful
Prashant ji, bechare patoon ko bhi apne camerey men kaid kar lijeye ga.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jun 8, 2010, 10:28:27 AM6/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan ,
According to the description of the plant provided by Prasant Ji it looks like the plant it Sorbus hupehensis. This plant is common in forests of North-Eastern India growing as a wild variety, originally migrated from China to this place. There are reports of its distribution in that region.
Regards
Tanay

tanay bose

Jun 8, 2010, 10:32:24 AM6/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Rashida ji,
Sorbaria tomentosa has an extremely acute leaf, with coarsely serrate margin and sunken lateral veins and a dense inflorescence. Among the photos provided by Prasant Ji only in one photo a complete leaf is visible which doesn't match the leaf morphology of S tomentosa.
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 8, 2010, 11:34:40 AM6/8/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Rashida ji
Sorbaria is a split from Spiraea in which the carpels are free and as such more than one fruitlets. Sorbus has carpels adnate to hypanthium forming single unit as you can see in this case. I am uploading single photograph of fruiting Sorbaria sorbifolia.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Sorbaria-sorbifolia-Manali-.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 8, 2010, 11:37:50 AM6/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Really great justification Sir Ji
Tanay

Rashida Atthar

Jun 8, 2010, 12:28:36 PM6/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Thank you  for the illustrated explanation Sir, great learning for me.

regards,
Rashida.

Prashant awale

Jun 8, 2010, 12:34:06 PM6/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Thanks Gurcharan Singh ji, Tanay ji for the lead.

"Camera me... "Na kaid ho paye patte, na kaid ho paye phool,
                             Falo ke is duniya me hui hai hamse ye bhool
"..
Mafi cahate hai..

I think the ID Sorbus hupehensis seems to be closely tallying this plant..
regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Jun 8, 2010, 12:37:13 PM6/8/10
to Prashant awale, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sayari Mubarakho Prasant Ji
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 8, 2010, 10:24:56 PM6/8/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Prashant ji
I have discovered a new way to extract poetry from you.
It was very good, thanks.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Sep 15, 2011, 8:41:30 AM9/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

I was looking for something else and found this...
what a great poetry session...
lets have some more... one of these days

Prashantji and Gurcharanji

Usha di
===========

On Jun 9 2010, 7:24 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Prashant ji
> I have discovered a new way to extract poetry from you.
> It was very good, thanks.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:07 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sayari Mubarakho Prasant Ji
> > Tanay
>

> > On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks Gurcharan Singh ji, Tanay ji for the lead.
>

> >> "Camera me... "*Na kaid ho paye patte, na kaid ho paye phool,
> >>                              Falo ke is duniya me hui hai hamse ye bhool*
> >> "..
> >> Mafi cahate hai..
>
> >> I think the ID *Sorbus hupehensis *seems to be closely tallying this
> >> plant..
> >> regards
> >> Prashant

JM Garg

Jun 4, 2022, 9:12:58 AM6/4/22
to Prashant awale, efloraofindia
DSC00238.JPG
DSC00345.JPG
DSC00239.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 4, 2022, 9:14:30 AM6/4/22
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, GurcharanSingh
I have doubts about the id of images as Sorbus hupehensis as per POWO and Flora of China.
Also they do not show its distribution in India. Also not shown in BSI flora of India.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
DSC00238.JPG
DSC00345.JPG
DSC00239.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 4, 2022, 11:58:47 AM6/4/22
to efloraindia, flowers...@gmail.com, Tabish, Prashant awale, GurcharanSingh
This is Mycetia. Fruit looks matching with Mycetia acuminata (Wight) Kuntze but did not
find distribution for that  area. Mycetia mukerjiana Deb & Ratna Dutta, Mycetia stipulata (Hook.f.) Kuntze, Mycetia longifolia (Wall.) Kuntze
and Mycetia nepalensis H.Hara has got distribution for that area and may be close to Mycetia nepalensis H.Hara.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jun 10, 2022, 8:01:16 AM6/10/22
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Tabish, Saroj Kasaju

Some earlier relevant feedback:

I have doubts about the id of images as Sorbus hupehensis as per POWO and Flora of China.

Also they do not show its distribution in India. Also not shown in BSI flora of India.- from me

This is Mycetia. Fruit looks matching with Mycetia acuminata (Wight) Kuntze but did not
find distribution for that  area. Mycetia mukerjiana Deb & Ratna Dutta, Mycetia stipulata (Hook.f.) Kuntze, Mycetia longifolia (Wall.) Kuntze
and Mycetia nepalensis H.Hara has got distribution for that area and may be close to Mycetia nepalensis H.Hara.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 10, 2022, 8:03:09 AM6/10/22
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Tabish, Saroj Kasaju
Feedback from Tabish ji from Sorbus hupehensis in FOI:
From the limited view of the plant in Prashant's images, this was the best match people could come up with. I agree that distribution in India is not shown anywhere, but then it is a bordering area. The general agreement with Sorbus hupehensis appears reasonable, if not good
however, I wouldn't bet on it very strongly.
  Tabish
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

navendu page

Jun 10, 2022, 1:01:59 PM6/10/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Tabish, Saroj Kasaju
Agree with Saroj Ji about Mycetia

Navendu
--
Navendu Page

Scientist-C
Wildlife Institute of India,
Dehradun - 248001.
Ph: +91 9611053510

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 10, 2022, 1:12:17 PM6/10/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Tabish

J.M. Garg

Jun 10, 2022, 7:45:44 PM6/10/22
to navendu page, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Tabish, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Navendu ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 11, 2022, 2:48:32 AM6/11/22
to J.M. Garg, navendu page, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Tabish

Thank you Navendu Ji !

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jun 14, 2022, 2:09:45 AM6/14/22