ID Request 3 - North Bengal White Wildflowers - 10May09SJ

Sushmita Jha

May 10, 2009, 5:37:16 AM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
And the third one.

Danke Schon.

Sushmita Jha
WildflowrID-Lava,north bengal, Oct08- 739.jpg
Wildflower ID-Lava,north bengal, Oct08- 742.jpg

ranjini kamath

May 10, 2009, 6:12:41 AM5/10/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Have been enjoying the series.Thanks Sushmita.

Ranjini Kamath

Tabish

May 10, 2009, 9:48:31 AM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Sushmita,
Beautiful flowers - thanks for the continuing show!
These look like species of Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis). These two
pictures could easily be different species - the leaves seem different
in the two.
The first one could be Anaphalis margaritacea
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Western%20Pearly%20Everlasting.html
The flowers are not yet open.
The second one could be Anaphalis busua or Anaphalis contorta. I am
assuming that some of the flowers are actually open, but the petal-
like white bracts remain erect and do not spread out, which is a
characteristic of these two species.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On May 10, 3:12 pm, ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have been enjoying the series.Thanks Sushmita.
>
>    Ranjini Kamath

Sushmita Jha

May 10, 2009, 11:50:06 AM5/10/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Tabish,
Thank you again for your enlightening response and the ID.
When I looked at the two photos again (after posting them), I did notice the difference in the leaves. I have another similar one (I think), which I am attaching (Garg-ji, please excuse me for crossing my posting limits - doing it simply because it is relevant to this discussion).
Shall I go ahead and take Anaphalis margaritacea as confirmed for the first one? And await confirmation on busua or contorta?
Regards,
Sushmita Jha

Wildflower ID-north bengal, Oct08- 062.jpg

Tabish

May 10, 2009, 1:49:18 PM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Sushmita,
This one is completely unrelated to the previous ones. It should be
a Spermacoce species. I would make a guess, Spermacoce pusilla, but it
has to be passed by Dinesh. :)
- Tabish

On May 10, 8:50 pm, Sushmita Jha <sushmitas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Tabish,
> Thank you again for your enlightening response and the ID.
> When I looked at the two photos again (after posting them), I did notice the
> difference in the leaves. I have another similar one (I think), which I am
> attaching (Garg-ji, please excuse me for crossing my posting limits - doing
> it simply because it is relevant to this discussion).
> Shall I go ahead and take Anaphalis margaritacea as confirmed for the first
> one? And await confirmation on busua or contorta?
> Regards,
> Sushmita Jha
>
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Sushmita,
> >   Beautiful flowers - thanks for the continuing show!
> > These look like species of Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis). These two
> > pictures could easily be different species - the leaves seem different
> > in the two.
> > The first one could be Anaphalis margaritacea
>
> >http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Western%20Pearly%20Everl...
> > The flowers are not yet open.
> > The second one could be Anaphalis busua or Anaphalis contorta. I am
> > assuming that some of the flowers are actually open, but the petal-
> > like white bracts remain erect and do not spread out, which is a
> > characteristic of these two species.
> >  Cheers!
> >  - Tabish
>
> > On May 10, 3:12 pm, ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Have been enjoying the series.Thanks Sushmita.
>
> > >    Ranjini Kamath
>
> >  > On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Sushmita Jha <sushmitas...@gmail.com>

>  Wildflower ID-north bengal, Oct08- 062.jpg
> 89KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

May 10, 2009, 2:39:44 PM5/10/09
to Tabish, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Oh dear Tabish, I am far far away from that status, at least not in this life :) especially in this case I think I am on a trial !!!!
... I believe it to be S. pusilla. (my attempted ID: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344@N00&q=Spermacoce+pusilla&m=text)
... BUT dear friends, please validate. There are chances that it could be S. ramanii.
Regards.

Tabish

May 10, 2009, 3:00:18 PM5/10/09
to indiantreepix
Well, I don't know about other species, but it is unlikely to be
Spermacoce ramanii. I read that the two species, although being quite
similar, do not interbreed because of separated flowering periods. S.
pusilla flowers from July to September and S. ramanii flowers from
late October to November. Although Sushmita's picture is named
"..Oct08- 062..", the EXIF information shows that it was taken on 28th
September.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On May 10, 11:39 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh dear Tabish, I am far far away from that status, at least not in this
> life :) especially in this case I think I am on a trial !!!!
> ... I believe it to be *S. pusilla*. (my attempted ID:http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344@N00&q=Spermacoce+pusilla&m=text)
> ... BUT dear friends, please validate. There are chances that it could be *S.
> ramanii. *
> Regards.

Sushmita Jha

May 10, 2009, 11:43:17 PM5/10/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Tabish and Dinesh,
thank you so much for your enlightening conversation about pusilla and ramanii! God, there is so much to learn in this beautiful world!
For some reason I labelled all my North Bengal pix as Oct08 (it was over 1-4th) We started our trip on 26th Sept. EXIF caught me out and just as well if one is to determine through such a fine (flowering) line betweeen the two species.

I eagerly await the next chapter of this interesting conversation!
Thanks again.
Sushmita Jha

Dinesh Valke

May 11, 2009, 12:53:08 AM5/11/09
to Sushmita Jha, Tabish, indiantreepix
Thank you very much Tabish for the resolving my doubt.
Regards.

Sushmita Jha

May 11, 2009, 1:21:01 AM5/11/09
to narendra joshi, indiantreepix
Thank you Narendra-ji. Are you talking about the third white flower i posted yesterday evening?
Sushmita Jha

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:21 AM, narendra joshi <nare...@yahoo.com> wrote:
the flower look likes to be White Clover (Trifolium repens ) recently I have also come across these type of flowers in Sikkim and North Bengal area.

Narendra Joshi

Sushmita Jha

May 12, 2009, 5:26:18 AM5/12/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Tabish,
shall I take the ID as Spermacoce pusilla? And which of the two photos? What about the other one, given the difference in the leaves?
Thank you.
Sushmita

Navendu

May 12, 2009, 8:21:20 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix

Looks to me like Mitricarpus hirtus, I am not sure if its a synonym of
Spermacoce pussila.

navendu

kiran srivastava

May 12, 2009, 9:10:03 AM5/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Great series!
Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai

Tabish

May 12, 2009, 9:49:30 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix
Navendu,
Seems to agree very well, better than Spermacoce pusilla. Synonyms
of Mitracarpus hirtus :
Spermacoce hirta, Spermacoce villosa, Mitracarpus villosus
Cheers!
- Tabish

Sushmita Jha

May 12, 2009, 10:46:45 AM5/12/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Tabish,
where can i find photos of pusilla, villosa, villosus and hirta? I have spent quite a lot of time looking for them but obviously I am doing something wrong!
Here is a link to a flower which I thought could be the third of these spermacoce series. Would appreciate your (and other expert) views.
Many thanks.
Sushmita

Tabish

May 12, 2009, 12:29:18 PM5/12/09
to indiantreepix
Sushmita,
Search for Mitracarpus hirtus, which is rge currently accepted name
of the plant - you should find many images - Spermacoce hirta,
Spermacoce villosa, Mitracarpus villosus are synonyms.
- Tabish

On May 12, 7:46 pm, Sushmita Jha <sushmitas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tabish,
> where can i find photos of pusilla, villosa, villosus and hirta? I have
> spent quite a lot of time looking for them but obviously I am doing
> something wrong!
> Here is a link to a flower which I thought could be the third of these
> spermacoce series. Would appreciate your (and other expert) views.http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/flora-kiuic/s/spermacoce_densi...
> Many thanks.
> Sushmita

Sushmita Jha

May 12, 2009, 12:39:24 PM5/12/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
I did a google search by each of those names and went into all kinds of sites without success of finding photos with which I could compare my photos.

Tabish

May 12, 2009, 12:44:39 PM5/12/09
to indiantreepix
Try this:
http://www.conabio.gob.mx/malezasdemexico/rubiaceae/mitracarpus-hirtus/fichas/pagina1.htm
- Tabish

On May 12, 7:46 pm, Sushmita Jha <sushmitas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tabish,
> where can i find photos of pusilla, villosa, villosus and hirta? I have
> spent quite a lot of time looking for them but obviously I am doing
> something wrong!
> Here is a link to a flower which I thought could be the third of these
> spermacoce series. Would appreciate your (and other expert) views.http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/flora-kiuic/s/spermacoce_densi...
> Many thanks.
> Sushmita

Sushmita Jha

May 12, 2009, 12:50:58 PM5/12/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Thank you, Tabish. The pictures in this site resemble the third one I sent in this chain - not the first two pearl type of flowers. So I am assuming the last few exchanges of this email chain are on that photo and not the first two originally posted.
Thank you for your patience with my ignorance.
Sushmita

Sushmita Jha

May 14, 2009, 11:16:17 AM5/14/09
to Tabish Qureshi, indiantreepix
Hello all,
confirmation of ID of this one is still pending. Would appreciate your views/cnfmn please.
Thanks.
Sushmita

Dec 16, 2020, 9:29:29 AM12/16/20
to efloraofindia
Dear Sushmita Ji,
Please post different species in different mail with
basic informations like location, date and elevation,
and more images of sp. would help to ID fast.
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2021, 4:43:02 AM5/25/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2021, 4:43:54 AM5/25/21
to indiantreepix, Sushmita Jha
WildflowrID-Lava,north bengal, Oct08- 739.jpg
Wildflower ID-Lava,north bengal, Oct08- 742.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

May 25, 2021, 5:35:52 AM5/25/21
to efloraindia, Sushmita Jha, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish
First image looks like A. triplinervis and second one  A. contorta!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju