22032011PJ1 ID REQUEST

PUTTARAJU K

Mar 22, 2011, 9:15:25 AM3/22/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
tO MY KNOWLEDGE THIS IS t.aRJUNA,pL COMMENT

Date/Time-: 13/03/11   -     1 1:40

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-    Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Tree

Height/Length-17m

--
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,

Vijayasankar

Mar 22, 2011, 1:05:36 PM3/22/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indian...@googlegroups.com
To some extent it looks like T.arjuna. You may like to do the following to confirm the id:
1. Pl look for fallen fruits (5-winged/angled) and leaves (simple, unlobed, oblong-lanceolate...), and share the pictures here.
2. make a slight cut in the bark to observe fleshy pinkish red inner bark.
3. observe the habitat. T.arjuna usually grows near watercourses.
4. try to record the local name & use of the tree.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Rashida Atthar

Mar 22, 2011, 11:53:50 PM3/22/11
to Vijayasankar, PUTTARAJU K, indian...@googlegroups.com
Would like to add one more characteristic to the above :  two glands on each side can be seen at the back of the leaf on the leaf stalk. This is very characteristic of Terminalia arjuna.

regards,
Rashida.

Smilax004

Mar 23, 2011, 2:59:53 AM3/23/11
to efloraofindia
The presence of one/two gland/s on the base of the back side of leaves
are characteristics of most of the species of Terminalia.

The tree in the picture could be mostly T. arjuna.
By the way, do you have a close up of the leaf of this plant? What was
the vegetation type? Evergreen or Deciduous?

Regards,
Giby

On Mar 23, 8:53 am, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would like to add one more characteristic to the above :  two glands on each
> side can be seen at the back of the leaf on the leaf stalk. This is
> very characteristic of Terminalia arjuna.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > To some extent it looks like T.arjuna. You may like to do the following to
> > confirm the id:
> > 1. Pl look for fallen fruits (5-winged/angled) and leaves (simple, unlobed,
> > oblong-lanceolate...), and share the pictures here.
> > 2. make a slight cut in the bark to observe fleshy pinkish red inner bark.
> > 3. observe the habitat. T.arjuna usually grows near watercourses.
> > 4. try to record the local name & use of the tree.
>
> > Regards
>
> > Vijayasankar Raman
> > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > University of Mississippi
>
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM, PUTTARAJU K <pakshirajka...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> tO MY KNOWLEDGE THIS IS t.aRJUNA,pL COMMENT
>
> >>  Date/Time-: 13/03/11   -     1 1:40
>
> >> Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs
>
> >> Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-    Wild
>
> >> Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Tree
>
> >> Height/Length-17m
>
> >> --
> >> With Regards,
> >> PUTTARAJU K,
> >> SCIENTIFIC OFFICER,
> >> KAIGA ATOMIC POWER PLANT,
> >> POST-KAIGA, U.K.DISTRICT,
> >> KARNATAKA -581400
> >> MOB : 9448999150
> >> EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
> >>              kputtar...@npcil.co.in

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Mar 23, 2011, 3:21:42 AM3/23/11
to efloraofindia
My dear Giby and Vijay
Those reddish bark and branching patterns do not point towards
arjuna...
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Jul 1, 2011, 1:23:53 AM7/1/11
to efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorie new, patang_p...@yahoo.in, Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSC_0276.JPG

H S

Jul 2, 2011, 2:09:04 AM7/2/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorie new, patang_p...@yahoo.in, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Please also give some photos of clear leaves, flowers and fruit.
identifying with this photo will be wrong even we any how guess
something, there are several trees with such bark and branching
pattern.

regards,

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

Mahadeswara

Jul 3, 2011, 10:37:47 AM7/3/11
to efloraofindia
I agree with the views of Dr H. S.

On Jul 2, 11:09 am, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please also give some photos of clear leaves, flowers and fruit.
> identifying with this photo will be wrong even we any how guess
> something, there are several trees with such bark and branching
> pattern.
>
> regards,
>
> > EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
> >              kputtar...@npcil.co.in
>
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
> > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
> > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1600 members &
> > 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website:
> >https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/(with a species database of

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2021, 12:14:04 AM7/31/21
to efloraofindia