[iOS] Google IMA Picture in Picture Background Load Ads Issue

Joni Cong

May 19, 2022, 4:29:05 AM5/19/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK

Hi,

During integration Google IMA PiP based on this documentation, found some issues where ads loaded on background in PiP mode will have noticeable delay between next ads or resume content. This issue will disappear when PiP mode with the watch page visible. Issue can consistently be reproduced on both physical devices and simulators.

Are we missing something or is this an SDK issue and can be solved?

Please refer to the attachment for modified example source code to reproduce the current issue.

Also, for uncompressed demo video, can be download here

 Technical Detail:

- Using latest Google IMA SDK version 3.16.3

- Using Xcode 13.4 (13F17a)

- Demo using simulator iPad 9th iOS 15.4

 How to reproduce:

  1. Open AdvancedExample.xcworkspace from attached project

  2. Run on iPad simulator (PiP only available on this simulator, otherwise using real device)

  3. Taps VMAP Pods

  4. On Watch page, during ads playing,  go to home device (cmd+shift+h)

  5. Observe ads load behavior

Thank you.

- Joni Cong

IMA SDK

May 23, 2022, 6:29:57 AM5/23/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Michael here from IMA SDK Team. Thank you for reaching out to us.

I do not see any attached sample project that can replicate the issue, perhaps you forgot to attached it on your post. Would you be able to share that so we can further investigate? Kindly also share a screen recording of the behavior for better illustration of the issue specially on step 4 of reproducing it.

If the file(s) you are looking to share are less than 25mb in total you can attach them to this case on your next reply. If you are having trouble attaching your file to this case or if your file(s) are larger than 25mb, you can share your files with me by performing the following steps:

1. Navigate to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkAiXMeYP-fw1W3Z-tT9uwmATEKO5X6S-th0gR2ezdKaaqfg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.400550049=IMA+SDK&entry.460850823=5004Q00002Ybmw4QAB&entry.80707362=00108297

2. Fill out all fields, and attach your file(s).

3. Please reply back on this thread when you have uploaded your file(s). Please do not share this link.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2Ybmw4:ref

Joni Cong

May 23, 2022, 9:07:07 AM5/23/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK

Hi Michael,

Already re-upload demo videos and sample project files to large attachment form link.

Thank you.

- Joni Cong

IMA SDK

May 23, 2022, 9:24:13 PM5/23/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Michael here from IMA SDK Team. Thank you for reaching out to us.

This appears to be same issue with the one you have recently opened with us with also same subject title. That being said, please refrain from opening multiple threads with same concern for better tracking of the issue. We recommend to continue our communication on the previous thread as investigation of the issue on that is already being conducted.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2YbnJm:ref

Joni Cong

May 23, 2022, 9:31:59 PM5/23/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Michael,

Could you send me previous thread link? i only see current thread being posted on this conversation.

Thank you.

- Joni Cong

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 08.30.16.png

IMA SDK

May 25, 2022, 4:11:11 AM5/25/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Thank you for sharing the requested details. I have raised the issue now to the rest of our team. We will provide more information once we get the result of the investigation.

IMA SDK

May 25, 2022, 4:19:42 AM5/25/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Thank you for your response.

Here is the forum thread link that you previously opened. However, the original post from that thread appears to be deleted already. Nonetheless, rest assured that our succeeding responses on that thread are still valid and going through our support channel. As a matter of fact, I have responded there already and raised the issue to the rest of our team for further investigation. You may disregard responding here to avoid confusion on your end and let us continue our communication on the active thread mentioned.

Regards,

Joni Cong

Jun 1, 2022, 9:24:26 PM6/1/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Michael,

Any updates from this issue?

Thank you.

- Joni

IMA SDK

Jun 2, 2022, 4:23:44 AM6/2/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joni,

Thank you for your response. However, this is still under investigation. Let me follow up on our team to get further updates on this. We will let you know once they have responded.

As a side note, we recommend to continue our communication on the other thread you opened with the same concern as I have associated the ticket I raised on that thread instead.

Joni Cong

Jun 2, 2022, 4:29:12 AM6/2/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Michael,

How to access previous thread? from my side only can see current thread, and if access this forum thread link, it said "The requested conversation cannot be found. It might have been deleted."

Thank you.

- Joni

IMA SDK

Jun 3, 2022, 1:49:43 AM6/3/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Thank you for your response. I will try to update you on the other thread for this reason and let us know if it is still visible on your end. If you did not receive any or this is a problem on your end, feel free to get back on this thread and we will make it the main thread instead for your convenience.

Regards,

IMA SDK

Jun 3, 2022, 1:51:38 AM6/3/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

First, I would like to let you know that the issue here is still being investigated. Additionally, responding here also as an update to know if this main thread for your issue is still available on your end. If not, you may disregard this message if found in the future, and we will update you on the other thread instead that is visible for you for your convenience.

Joni Cong

Jun 3, 2022, 2:36:32 AM6/3/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Michael,

It seems both your messages is visible on this conversation
Attached screenshoot for your visibility.

Thank you.

conversation.png

IMA SDK

Jun 3, 2022, 10:58:08 AM6/3/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joni,

I work with Michael. Thank you for sharing, we will continue on this thread and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2Ybmw4:ref

Joni Cong

Jun 28, 2022, 10:54:39 PM6/28/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

Any news so far?

Thanks.

- Joni Cong

IMA SDK

Jun 29, 2022, 5:25:59 AM6/29/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Thank you for responding back to us. However, we still does not have significant information from the investigation we can share to you. I have already followed up on the ticket raised for this to get an update, we will get back to you the soonest possible.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2Ybmw4:ref

Joni Cong

Aug 2, 2022, 11:39:37 PM8/2/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Michael,

Looks like it's been a long time since posting, wondering any updates from the investigation?

Thank you.

- Joni

IMA SDK

Aug 3, 2022, 9:43:41 AM8/3/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joni,

I work with Michael. I raised your comments to my team and we will get back to you as soon as we have actionable information.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2Ybmw4:ref

IMA SDK

Aug 4, 2022, 5:50:02 AM8/4/22
to joni...@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Joni,

Hope you are doing fine. I just want to get back here as we already received feedback from our team.

This is currently a problem with iOS thread handling, where backgrounded threads are severely throttled, thereby slowing the rate at which the IMA can fire events or update state. Our team have been collaborating with Apple to try to produce a workaround for this problem, but at the moment it has to be considered a platform limitation.