ATOM 2.8.1

Stuart Bligh

Feb 23, 2024, 11:09:42 AMFeb 23
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan - can I check whether there is any news on when ver 2.8.1 might be released? Is it imminent or a little way off?

Thanks

Stuart

Dan Gillean

Feb 23, 2024, 11:49:45 AMFeb 23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

There is an AtoM 2.8.1 release in the works, but no concrete timeframe for it yet. A few weeks perhaps? That's the best estimate the Maintainers have for right now.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Kayla Reed

Feb 23, 2024, 4:03:26 PMFeb 23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Is the new version going to use a newer version of elasticsearch?

Dan Gillean

Feb 23, 2024, 4:15:08 PMFeb 23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kayla,

Not in 2.8.1 - but quite possibly there will be search index changes included in the 2.9 release.

We generally divide our releases into two main types - major and minor.
  • Major release examples:  2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, etc
  • Minor release examples: 2.7.1, 2.7.2, 2.7.3; 2.8.1, etc
We try to keep any new features, database schema changes, and/or major dependency upgrades to major releases. That way, users who install from our GitHub code repository (Option 2 in our installation docs, as opposed to installing via the downloadable tarball on our website) can generally perform minor version upgrades easily in place simpy by running a pull against the repository and restarting services.

In general, it's also easier for system administrators to know that minor releases tend to contain bug fixes, security patches, and/or translation updates, but no big features or changes to the underlying dependencies. Users can more easily glance at the release notes and determine if they want the minor update, or if they are content to skip it in favor of the next major release.

LAst year, the Maintainers posted a general roadmap for upcoming releases in the forum, which I will link here again:
So far, they have been successful in sticking pretty closely to the timeline and release plans outlined there! So, per that announcement, the plan is hopefully address the following in the 2.9 release:

Upgrade to php 8.1, Mysql 8.0, Elasticsearch upgrade or swap tbd, support for Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9.0, removal of Bootstrap 2.x code

Please note that there is no firm release date for 2.9 at the moment - our team is hard at work and will release it as soon as we are confident it's ready!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Mar 7, 2024, 2:27:36 PMMar 7
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart and Kayla,

In case you haven't seen it, the Maintainers have just announced that an AtoM 2.8.1 security patch and bug fix release will be available on March 14th. See:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.