2023 release plans for AtoM and Archivematica

Sarah Romkey

Apr 26, 2023, 2:28:44 PM4/26/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com, ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dear AtoM and Archivematica community users,

I am writing to give you an update on our release plans for this year for both AtoM and Archivematica. As you may be aware, Artefactual staffed a team of Maintainers earlier this year (Archivematica Maintainers Douglas and Dhwani; AtoM Maintainers Anvit and TJ) and aside from getting to know the code bases, they have put their immediate focus on a plan for updating dependencies and supporting up to date operating systems.

A summary is below, but in a bit more detail: Archivematica will have two releases back to back, in the spring and summer. The first will be to “clear the decks” of a number of previously unreleased enhancements and fixes (see the 1.14 milestone on Github), and bringing PRONOM up to date. The 1.15 release that follows will have upgrades to MySql, Django, and support for Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9.0 (because of licensing changes in Centos, going forward we plan to use Rocky as the alternative to Ubuntu. Rocky, like Centos did previously, is intended to be the FOSS equivalent to Redhat distribution).

In the AtoM project, a 2.7.2 release will be coming soon to address a number of bugs found in the 2.7 release. Fall 2023 and Winter 2024 will see back to back AtoM releases: 2.8 in the fall will be a bug fix release primarily,  along with some new API endpoints. Release 2.9 will see some big upgrades: php 8.1, MySql 8.0, an upgrade to Elasticsearch or possibly a swap for another search library (we are being impacted by licensing changes to Elasticsearch as well), and support for Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9.0.

A note for AtoM users regarding Bootstrap 5: as you may already be aware, AtoM 2.7 upgraded Bootstrap to version 5, but still supports version 2.x. In AtoM 2.8, we intend to deprecate Bootstrap 2.x, meaning it will still be in the code but will not be tested. Bootstrap 2.x is slated to be removed by version 2.9 (early 2024). This means if you have a custom AtoM theme, you should plan to update it to use Bootstrap 5 before you upgrade to AtoM 2.9

Archivematica

1.14 release: Spring 2023
PRONOM update to current, better support for non-DC metadata, better handling of metadata on reingest, removal of outdated Python code, various bug fixes

1.15 release: Summer 2023
Upgrade to MySql 8.0, Django 3.2, support for Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9.0

AtoM

2.7.2 release: Spring 2023
Various bug fixes, support on Rocky Linux 8 (already supported on Ubuntu 20.04)

2.8 release: Fall 2023
Bug fixes and API additions; Bootstrap 2.x deprecated (not tested)

2.9 release: Winter 2024
Upgrade to php 8.1, Mysql 8.0, Elasticsearch upgrade or swap tbd, support for Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9.0, removal of Bootstrap 2.x code

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Archivematica Program Manager
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

meg.t...@gaiaresources.com.au

May 8, 2023, 9:01:00 PM5/8/23
to AtoM Users
Fantastic news - thanks Sarah for sharing this roadmap with us :-)

Humphrey Keah

May 9, 2023, 10:55:53 AM5/9/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear AtoM/Archivematica community,
I'm trying to migrate atom on a vmware virtual machine on my laptop to a PC by exporting the VM to an external hard drive then export to the PC but the vmdk file (25 GB) refuses to export at 30% of the process. Could anyone have encountered and resolved the same problem?
Many thanks in advance,
Humphrey

Dan Gillean

May 10, 2023, 9:47:29 AM5/10/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Humphrey,

That is more of a general question about managing VMs and migrations, and not something specific to AtoM that our team can really assist with - especially considering that this sounds like an issue unique to your environment and not a bug. It is also very unlikely that your laptop VM is properly configured for production use, and you may avoid issues by simply creating the VM first as you need it and then installing AtoM into it.

In terms of AtoM advice, my suggestion would be to do a fresh AtoM install on the PC, and simply use the existing Upgrading documentation to migrate the database and uploads directory from your local VM to your new production ready installation. See:
For general questions about VMWare, I would suggest that you might have better luck asking for assistance in one of their community forums, or in a general StackExchange thread.

Sorry we can't be of more assistance at this time, and best of luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Sasa Djukic

May 10, 2023, 10:05:00 AM5/10/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi, will there be a Bosnian translation in this edition 2.7.2 as you said before. Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZJ18SaJHJLCdo1tkU0uw6bYTrM%3DVsXJuQNnaXdDkQR%3DEQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

May 10, 2023, 10:33:06 AM5/10/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sasa,

I am very sorry to say that, according to our Maintainers, they do not yet have a fix for the issue with Bosnian described in this ticket:
Our Maintainers continue to investigate to try to work out the cause for this problem. It seems that Symfony's language support is very complex and difficult to troubleshoot, so it will still require more time for them to get to the bottom of the issue and resolve it.

My apologies!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Humphrey Keah

May 12, 2023, 3:44:27 AM5/12/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dan,
Thanks very much for taking your time to provide me with informative and useful feedback. I'll follow your advice to the letter and see how it goes.
Cheers
Humphrey

Hi Dan

Zardoz Plusbeaire

May 26, 2023, 10:25:16 AM5/26/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sarah,

Is there a way to have more technical information about a video, audio, or image file in the Digital object metadata such as height, width, length, codec, etc?

Thank you

Normand Gauthier

Dan Gillean

May 26, 2023, 11:08:10 AM5/26/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Normand,

Unfortunately, these technical metadata elements are not currently supported. You might consider using a field in the body of the related description, such as a notes field, or part of the Extent and medium statement? Not ideal, but perhaps a workaround for now.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Jun 8, 2023, 10:36:26 AM6/8/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Sasa,

I have some good news - our team has been investigating issue #13639 (the issue that prevented Bosnian translations from working in AtoM), and it appears the team has found a solution!

It's complicated to explain, but if you are interested in the technical details, you can read the developer notes on the linked issue ticket. The short version is: we should be able to include your Bosnian translations in the 2.8 release!

I'm sorry that it's taken a couple releases for us to be able to address this. Prior to 2.8's release, be sure to check Weblate, as I believe there will be some new strings added for new features included in 2.8. There is no firm date set for this release - as noted in the original post of this thread, the Maintainers are currently aiming for a Fall 2023 release.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.