Update on plans for AtoM 2.9

Sarah Romkey

Jun 11, 2024, 3:05:17 PMJun 11
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dear AtoM community users,

We at Artefactual wanted to give you all an update on our progress with AtoM 2.9 and beyond.

As we reported last year, AtoM has a number of major dependency and OS upgrades needed. As our Maintainers began investigation and work, it became clear that the Elasticsearch replacement should become the priority, as many other dependencies and libraries will depend on what Elasticsearch is replaced with. As the Elasticsearch work has gotten underway, it is clear to us that it is a large enough change that it should be handled in its own release. The chosen replacement is Solr, an open-source search tool with a long and stable history.

In summary, AtoM 2.9 will only address critical bug fixes as well as replace Elasticsearch with Solr. All further dependency updates previously mentioned (php, MySql, Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9) will wait for a further release. We will also delay removing Bootstrap 2.x until AtoM 2.10 (although as of 2.8.x it is considered to be deprecated, meaning we have not been testing it).

Prior to releasing AtoM 2.9, we will be preparing a beta release for testing. We would be most appreciative if institutions who have a testing site available to them would install the beta release and give us their feedback. Details on how to do so will be announced with the beta release.

Thank you for your attention!

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Head of Hosting and SaaS Products
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

Johan Pieterse

Jun 12, 2024, 12:23:22 PMJun 12
to AtoM Users
Hi Sarah

I have a development environment available. Must it be accesable from the world or only for my internal testing?

Johan
Plain Sailing Information Systems

Sarah Romkey

Jun 13, 2024, 9:00:12 AMJun 13
to AtoM Users
Just your internal testing is great! We'll have a process in place for giving us feedback etc.

Cheers,

Sarah