Google map from place record?

Mark Smith

Jan 7, 2021, 5:55:45 AM1/7/21
to AtoM Users
Does anybody know if it's possible to associate a Google map with a Place record.  I know maps can be associated with Archival Institution records and digital objects, but being able to generate a map from a Place Access Point would be useful.

Dan Gillean

Jan 7, 2021, 12:45:42 PM1/7/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, AtoM used to have this ability, but changes in Google Maps have rendered the previous functionality in need of updates to be useful again.

Previously, you could input latitude and longitude values into the "Code" field in the Terms edit template, and AtoM would provide a static Google Map of the location. However, a couple of changes have since happened:
  • Changes were made so that all maps API calls require a key (with an associated account)
  • Google stopped providing free use of their map APIs
Some details on how this affects the static map generation previously available on terms:
Additionally, the change has meant that other Google Maps integrations in AtoM (such as the ability to generate a dynamic map for digital objects or repository records) also have a risk of costing users. All Maps API calls must be associated with a key tied to an account that has credit card information added to it for them to work. Prior to July 16, 2018 use of the standard API was free up to 25,000 map loads per 24 hours. Now Google requires billing to be enabled but the pay-as-you-go billing still will only kick in after you exceed the free usage limit of 25,000/day. See:
So, at this point, even with these existing dynamic map options in AtoM, you will need to enter credit card information. However, if your site traffic is low to moderate (i.e. less than 25K page views a day), you may never be billed. There's no way to set a limit in AtoM to avoid billing, however.

Ideally, this would mean that in the future, rather than just providing Maps API key support for the older terms map generation option, we would also provide a different configuration option, using something like OpenStreetMap for integration. However, doing so will require new development that will need community support for Artefactual to be able to implement, either via development sponsorship, or community-developed code shared with the public project. You can learn more about how we maintain and develop AtoM on this wiki page:
If this is a priority feature for your institution, and you might be interested in sponsoring development, please feel free to contact me off-list, and our team can follow up on options and development estimates. Alternatively, if you or your institution has development experience, check out the development resources on our wiki - and our team can try to provide some initial guidance via this forum.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 5:55 AM Mark Smith <markrya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anybody know if it's possible to associate a Google map with a Place record.  I know maps can be associated with Archival Institution records and digital objects, but being able to generate a map from a Place Access Point would be useful.

Mark Smith

Jan 8, 2021, 9:37:39 AM1/8/21
to AtoM Users
Many thanks Dan.  I understand this more clearly now.
Mark

Killian Downing

Jan 27, 2022, 9:22:45 AM1/27/22
to AtoM Users
Hi, thanks for this question Mark and helpful answer Dan. I would love to support an OpenStreetMap integration, how could users here coordinate this collectively? Could we petition/sponser this as a community-based development need with Artefactual? I think many users here would support and use a sustainable OpenStreetMap api. What would the best approach be to progress this Dan?

Thanks,
Killian
Dublin City University Library

Dan Gillean

Jan 27, 2022, 10:25:04 AM1/27/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Killian,

I'm less directly tied to Artefactual's sales process for development work these days, so the best way to discuss options for sponsorship will be to send an email with some details about your request to in...@artefactual.com. One of our team members there can follow up with you from there.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Séanadh Ríomhphoist/Email Disclaimer

Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin amháin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Read more here.