Re: [atom-users] Abridged summary of ica-atom-users@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 2 topics

Daniela Moneta

Jan 10, 2021, 12:05:56 PM1/10/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
We want to preserve the many audio tapes in our collection. Looking at the Format policies on Archivematica, I see that the preservation format for Audio tapes is WAVE (LPCM). My organization is sending LTOs of those recordings to our five international archives in various parts of the world as backup. I understand that the LTOs need to be migrated every few years to a new format. To preserve these audio recordings for future generations, shouldn't we be putting the WAVE (LPCM) in an application to be sure that it doesn't deteriorate? Sorry for this simple question but we are just starting out to preserve our digital records.

We are currently using AtoM for access to our collections. I am one of the five international archivists for our non-profit organization. I am concerned that we are not preserving the digital format of these recordings. Is upgrading the LTO a form of preservation? I am just exploring what would be our best option and how soon we need to get the WAVE (LPCM) into an application like Archivematica.

Many thanks,
Daniela

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:57 PM <ica-ato...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mark Smith <markrya...@gmail.com>: Jan 07 02:55AM -0800

Does anybody know if it's possible to associate a Google map with a Place
record. I know maps can be associated with Archival Institution records
and digital objects, but being able to generate a ...more
Dan Gillean <d...@artefactual.com>: Jan 07 12:45PM -0500

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, AtoM used to have this ability, but changes in Google Maps
have rendered the previous functionality in need of updates to be useful
again.

Previously, you could input ...more
"Robin François" <robin.f...@cinematheque.ch>: Jan 07 12:11AM -0800

Dear all,

First, I am wishing you all the best wishes for 2021.

We have described a fonds of photographs to the item level and each item is
going to be digitalised. We would like to associate ...more

Dan Gillean

Jan 11, 2021, 5:19:22 PM1/11/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Daniela,

This is a great question.... but one around which I suspect you might not find clear consensus on the best course of action, as there are many different opinions on preservation best practices. I recommend that you post this one in the Archivematica user forum, where you'll find many more professionals with experience in digital preservation who might share their opinions.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056