CSV Export for languages other than English

Ad Axem

Apr 19, 2018, 12:38:15 PM4/19/18
to AtoM Users
Good afternoon,

We are currently experimenting with the wonderful CSV export functionality from search results in version 2.4

We have managed to export archival descriptions where culture="en" but cannot find a way to export archival descriptions for languages other than English, e.g. where culture="el"

Any thoughts?

Dan Gillean

Apr 20, 2018, 11:00:33 AM4/20/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Your timing is interesting, because in my internal testing of AtoM, I've also recently encountered this issue. My delay in responding was because I wanted to better understand what was working and what was not to file an issue before replying, and ideally try to discover a workaround for you.

So, short answer is - I believe that you have encountered a bug in AtoM that we need to address. I have filed two tickets in relation to this - one is a bug ticket describing a couple related issues, and the other is a feature request filed in the AtoM Wish List, so we can improve the ability for users to specify the culture of an export via the user interface. Here are the related tickets:
Unfortunately, it appears that there is no easy way to export secondary language descriptions in AtoM (i.e. descriptions in a language different than the installation culture) via the user interface. I also discovered some issues where even when the installation culture is in a different language, controlled terms (like levelOfDescription, descriptionStatus, levelOfDetail, etc) are exporting using the English default terms, rather than the corresponding translations available in AtoM. Both of these issues are described in ticket #12155

Now, for the workarounds, until we can address these issues.

First, it appears that a full CSV export from the command-line will include all descriptions, including secondary culture descriptions and translations. For translations (e.g. when a description exists in English for example, and translations have been added in another culture as well), AtoM will export 2 rows with the same legacyID but different culture values.

So, it's not very convenient (sorry!), but you could:
  • Use the command-line to export all descriptions
  • Use the culture column in the resulting export to sort for the culture you want, and then delete any other rows
To run a full CSV export of descriptions from the command-line, you can use the following:

Since this is not ideal, I am also following up with a developer to see if there is a way we might use the --criteria option to limit the export to descriptions of a particular culture. The --criteria option can be used to provide a SQL query to limit the export to specific descriptions. I'm not personally familiar enough with SQL and AtoM's database schema to craft the query successfully myself, but I will let you know when I've heard back from our team, and hopefully we can provide you with something a bit more useful.

In the meantime, we will try to address the bug ticket! I can't guarantee it will be included in an upcoming release without community sponsorship - especially for the feature enhancement described in #12107. To learn more about how we maintain and develop AtoM, please see our Development philosophy page on the wik. If addressing this is a priority for your institution (or for anyone else reading this on the list!) and you'd be interested in potentially sponsoring this work so we can guarantee its inclusion in the next release, please feel free to contact me off-list, and Artefactual can prepare an estimate.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dan Gillean

May 9, 2018, 4:25:18 PM5/9/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Efthimios,

It looks like you can use the --criteria option to export only descriptions of a particular culture like so:
  • --criteria="i18n.culture='[CODE]'"
Replace [CODE] with the 2-letter ISO 639-1 language code for the culture you want to export.

So, for example, you could export all your Greek descriptions to a CSV called el-content.csv with a command like this:
  • php symfony csv:export  --criteria="i18n.culture='el'" /path/to/location/of/el-content.csv
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Ad Axem

Jun 12, 2018, 10:25:24 AM6/12/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Just read through the process my German colleague went through in this thread (https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/a8fbacd2-7cdb-4cd0-82b7-252ce738e511%40googlegroups.com) and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to try out the same approach, i.e. changing source_culture to el in settings.yml ?

What do you think?

Dan Gillean

Jun 14, 2018, 11:25:04 AM6/14/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi  Efthimios,

This would likely help you export your el descriptions, but if you have content in English, then you make experience the reverse issue (i.e. the same issue but now with those). It's also possible that problem 2 described in issue #12155 will still affect the descriptions - i.e. you will be able to export them easier, but in some cases the English taxonomy terms will still be used even when a translation is available.

I'm guessing, based on the issues as described (and as outlined based on my previous testing). However, it could still be worth trying! If you do try it, let us know how it goes! Also, don't forget to restart all services (PHP-FPM and memcached especially), clear the application cache, and repopulate the index after making a culture change in the configuration file!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Tatiana Canelhas

Apr 25, 2019, 12:35:47 PM4/25/19
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I would like to know if you changed the settings file and if it worked?

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Ad Axem

May 3, 2019, 6:39:58 AM5/3/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Tatiana,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Yes, the suggestion works.

Tatiana

May 3, 2019, 8:00:02 AM5/3/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I tried too but it did not worked for me.
:(