Uwe Jung

May 20, 2018, 2:01:48 AM5/20/18
to AtoM Users
Hello,

I'm still working with the same AtoM 2.4 on Ubuntu Server 16.04. Here comes a description of my current problem.

Doing some export of archival descriptions using the clipboard the resulting csv file will be almost empty. It contains data in the fields referenceCode, legacyId, parentId, identifier, language, languageNote, descriptionIdentifier, pubicationStatus, culture and all the event... fields. Instead I miss the content of such important fields like title, scopeAndContent, repository, levelOfDescription or arrangement. For other fields I can't say because I am note using all the fields.
I marked ISAD as the description standard. There is no matter if I am logged in or not or which language I use on the surface. But I can tell you that all archival description, repository information, authority data and so on are stored within the _i18n tables only with the culture tag "de". Curiously the xml export of the same data seems to work .

So any idea what is going on there?

Thanks a lot for your help...

Uwe Jung

Dan Gillean

May 21, 2018, 2:14:57 PM5/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Uwe,

My guess is that your descriptions were created in the user interface in a different culture than the default installation culture. We've discovered this is an issue in AtoM recently in another thread - for more details including a bug ticket and a wishlist ticket for a new language selection on export feature, as well as for a workaround you can use from the command-line, see this thread and its following messages:
If this is a critical issue for your institution and you might be interested in sponsoring the bug ticket and the feature request, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Uwe Jung

May 21, 2018, 2:48:22 PM5/21/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. I presume that there are more issues connected with the newly installed language. In my case it's German who needs to be added after installation. As an example I am still not able to start AtoM in German. It always comes up with the English version. Even if I changed default_culture in apps/qubit/config/settings.yml to de_DE. There is also an error with ES who is related to the language issue.
So for the moment I would like to try to change the "installation culture" to de_DE. Maybe this could help to solve the problem. Where is the installation language stored? And could it have other bad consequences if I would modify something at this point?

Greetings

Uwe Jung

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 2:01 AM, Uwe Jung <jung...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Dan Gillean

May 21, 2018, 3:07:27 PM5/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Uwe,

I always strongly recomend making sure you have a back up of your data before making configuration changes, just in case! However, it should be possible to change the default installation culture without messing anything up.

Unfortunately, the PHP framework that AtoM was built with (Symfony 1.x) is fairly limited in the sublocales it can support for culture settings - so while de  (aka German) will likely work, it appears that de_DE (german (Germany)) is not supported. You can review a full list of supported cultures here:
Changes to default installation culture can be made in  in apps/qubit/config/settings.yml - docs here.

You will need to restart PHP-FPM and memcached, repopulate the index, and clear your application cache after. Instructions for all of these tasks can be found on the following page:
When you add or modify languages in the user interface (in Admin > Settings > i18n languages), you also need to repopulate the search index - and ideally, clear the cache, etc.  as well. If you are not seeing changes take effect, if could be an issue with your web browser cache. Try repeating the test of the interface using a Private / Incognito browser window, where the web cache is generally disabled by default.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Uwe Jung

May 23, 2018, 3:10:20 AM5/23/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. Changing source_culture from de_DE to de in settings.yml seems to help. At least I noted that the site now starts with in German as the default language. I will check later this week if  other problems have been resolved too.

Greetings

Uwe Jung

Uwe Jung

May 28, 2018, 5:24:02 AM5/28/18
to AtoM Users
Hello again,

I can now confirm that changing source_culture from de_DE to de in settings.yml resolves also the problem with csv export of archival descriptions. All formerly missing fields have been well exported. Thanks again for the hint.

Greetings

Uwe Jung

Dan Gillean

May 28, 2018, 10:41:25 AM5/28/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Great! Glad to hear it worked out, and thank you for updating the thread, Uwe!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Tatiana Canelhas

Apr 25, 2019, 1:46:59 PM4/25/19
to AtoM Users
Hi guys,

is the source culture the same field as the default culture in the settings.yml file?

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Am Sonntag, 20. Mai 2018 08:01:48 UTC+2 schrieb Uwe Jung:
[...]

Dan Gillean

Apr 25, 2019, 4:22:15 PM4/25/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tatiana,

Yes - I don't believe there is actually a source_culture setting in apps/qubit/config/settings.yml - I think Uwe may have just misspoken. The default installation culture is set via the default_culture parameter - in the temporary file you can see in our code repository, it's on line 56:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.