Installing AtoM 2.7.3 on Ubuntu 23.04

Marco Valentim

Aug 3, 2023, 10:50:30 AM8/3/23
to AtoM Users
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to install AtoM. I already installed all dependencies, including all the mandatory extensions of php7.4. However, when I try to run the installer with php symfony tools:install the following appears as response:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught sfInitializationException: arElasticSearchPlugin needs cURL PHP extension in /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arElasticSearchPlugin/config/arElasticSearchPluginConfiguration.class.php:32
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/config/sfPluginConfiguration.class.php(47): arElasticSearchPluginConfiguration->initialize()
#1 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/config/sfProjectConfiguration.class.php(93): sfPluginConfiguration->__construct()
#2 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/config/sfProjectConfiguration.class.php(64): sfProjectConfiguration->loadPlugins()
#3 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/command/sfSymfonyCommandApplication.class.php(37): sfProjectConfiguration->__construct()
#4 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/command/sfCommandApplication.class.php(61): sfSymfonyCommandApplication->configure()
#5 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/command/cli.php(19): sfCommandApplication->__construct()
#6 /usr/share/nginx/atom/symfony(14): include('...')
#7 {main}
  thrown in /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arElasticSearchPlugin/config/arElasticSearchPluginConfiguration.class.php on line 32

What went wrong? I installed php7.4-curl with all the other required extensions... If some more information is needed, please tell me...

Thanks in advance!

Dan Gillean

Aug 3, 2023, 11:10:39 AM8/3/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

Did you manually install PHP 7.4 from a third-party repository? Or are you just using the PHP version bundled with your chosen Ubuntu release? If the latter, this might be your issue - I believe that Ubuntu 23.04 ships with PHP 8.1 by default. Meaning you have installed a bunch of PHP 7.4 extensions for a version of PHP you likely don't have installed, which is probably what is causing the error.

You can try checking this by running the following in your command-line terminal:
  • php -version
Please note that we have NOT tested AtoM 2.7.x with later versions of Ubuntu. There are definitely known backwards-compatibility issues with PHP 8 that we will address in one of our upcoming releases (currently, per this announcement by the Maintainers, they are currently targeting AtoM 2.9 for Ubuntu, PHP, and search index upgrades, which is currently loosely slated for Q1 2024).

This means that for now, if you want to continue using Ubuntu 23.04:
  • You will need to manually remove PHP 8.1 and install PHP 7.4 instead
  • You may encounter other unexpected issues that we have not discovered yet, due to changes in either Ubuntu itself or the available packages
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Marco Valentim

Aug 3, 2023, 12:55:45 PM8/3/23
to AtoM Users
Hi, thanks for answering!

I installed PHP 7.4 from ppa:ondrej/php, along with adding the repositories ppa:ondrej/nginx and ppa:ondrej/pkg-gearman to support nginx and gearman.
By running the command you mentioned, I got PHP 8.2, even though I had installed a bunch of PHP 7.4 extensions and PHP 7.4 was installed. I just removed PHP 8.2 packages and it already tells me I have PHP 7.4.
A new message appears by running 'php symfony tools:install' :

Failed to make cache directory "/usr/share/nginx/atom/cache/qubit/cli/config" while generating cache for configuration file "config/config_handlers.yml".

By the way, since I installed nginx I can't restart it. Now, when I run 'sudo systemctl restart nginx' it shows:

Job for nginx.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status nginx.service" and "journalctl -xeu nginx.service" for details.

By running 'systemctl status nginx.service' it shows:

× nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2023-08-03 17:49:13 WEST; 50s ago
       Docs: man:nginx(8)
    Process: 60258 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 13ms

ago 03 17:49:13 [my laptop] systemd[1]: Starting nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
ago 03 17:49:13 [my laptop] nginx[60258]: nginx: [emerg] open() "/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/atom" failed (2: No such file or directory) in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:>
ago 03 17:49:13 [my laptop] nginx[60258]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
ago 03 17:49:13 [my laptop] systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
ago 03 17:49:13 [my laptop] systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
ago 03 17:49:13 [my laptop] systemd[1]: Failed to start nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
lines 1-13/13 (END)

I checked /etc/nginx/sites-enabled and there is an invalid shortcut in there... In /etc/nginx/sites-available there is "atom".
If it's possible to solve these problems, it'd be great; otherwise, I'll try to install it on Ubuntu 20.04...

Dan Gillean

Aug 3, 2023, 1:56:23 PM8/3/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I may need to check with our developers on any further suggestions, but here are a few initial ones:

A new message appears by running 'php symfony tools:install' :

Failed to make cache directory "/usr/share/nginx/atom/cache/qubit/cli/config" while generating cache for configuration file "config/config_handlers.yml".

I wonder if this might just be an issue with the filesystem permissions. AtoM expects all files and directories below the root installation directory to be owned by the www-data user. You can try resetting the filesystem permissions with:
Then, when you run Symfony commands, you can always specify the user if needed - for example:
  • sudo -u www-data php symfony tools:install
However, you'll also need to resolve the Nginx issue before you are able to access your site, even if that helps with installation.

Did you follow the instructions in this section? In the very first step, you should be creating an atom file in the sites-enabled directory... see:
It sounds like you did create the file, but I am just double-checking in case you missed a step somewhere - did you also do these?
  • sudo ln -sf /etc/nginx/sites-available/atom /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/atom
  • sudo rm /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
And, did you populate the atom Nginx config file with the recommended server block?

If that doesn't help, I will see if a developer can follow up further - let us know!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Message has been deleted

Marco Valentim

Aug 3, 2023, 4:21:01 PM8/3/23
to AtoM Users
Hey there!

Good news: your suggestion for symfony worked and I'm already using AtoM!
Also, I restarted my laptop and it no longer shows me that message!
Thank you so much for helping me out!

With my very best regards,
Marco

Dan Gillean

Aug 4, 2023, 8:09:26 AM8/4/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear it, Marco!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Aug 8, 2023, 8:41:31 AM8/8/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

It sounds like you have other things installed on this server, including an Apache web server - are there other applications running?

This is getting a bit beyond the level of support we can freely provide via the user forum, but it sounds like you will need to review the configuration for the Apache web server (when you find it) and/or your AtoM Nginx configuration block. These configuration files are telling the associated applications where to listen for AtoM, and are likely defaulting to the same locations / IPs and ports.

This part of the Nginx configuration block is telling Nginx where to find your server / what port to listen to:

server {

   listen 80;
   root /usr/share/nginx/atom;

   # http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#server_name
   # _ means catch any, but it's better if you replace this with your server
   # name, e.g. archives.foobar.com
   server_name _;

Right now it is very general, only specifying to catch anything on port 80 (of localhost by default, I am assuming? But as an archivist and not a system administrator, I'm not totally sure on that). In any case, I suspect that this is conflicting with the Apache web server, which likely has similar parameters. I think you'll have to modify one or the other to be more specific, listening on specific IPs and ports and/or using a server name, etc.

You can read more about the server_name and listen parameters in the Nginx documentation, here:
See also:
Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 5:27 PM Marco Valentim <marco.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions! Your suggestion for the symfony command worked out, I already got this installed. However, I can't set it up.
Even repeating your double-check, and repopulating the Nginx config file at /etc/nginx/sites-available/atom, I still can't start nginx, and for some reason when I enter localhost or http://127.0.0.1, it shows an index.html file at /var/www/html called Apache2 Default Page...

Thanks for all your help!