Browser contents shake when scrolling in Admin>Settings page at low resolution

lib-s...@unbc.ca

Aug 17, 2023, 11:20:28 PM8/17/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

Minor bug report. Confirmed happening on 2.7.1 and 2.7.3. Not sure when was first introduced, might be a very old issue. My apologies if this is a duplicate, I couldn't find anything here in Google Groups or in the bug tracker, but I wasn't quite sure of the correct search terms to use.

This bug definitely occurs in the Admin > Settings page. Not sure if anywhere else.

To reproduce:
  1. Shrink the browser window vertically, until the left side nav menu (CSV Validator, Clipboard, DIP upload, etc) extends past the bottom of the screen
  2. Select a Setting page that is shorter than the left side nav menu (eg. DIP upload)
  3. Try to scroll down (to get to the bottom of the left side nav menu)
  4. The browser contents, for lack of a better term, shake like crazy.
This was discovered by someone using a laptop with a 1366x768 resolution. It has been reproduced on a higher resolution monitor by manually shrinking the browser window. It has been reproduced in Chrome and Edge.

David

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2023, 10:10:33 AM8/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I tested this using the default Bootstrap 2 theme on our public demo site (running 2.7.3-v192), using both Firefox and Chromium on Ubuntu 22.04 this morning, and was unable to recreate the issue. Assuming Groups allows this, see the attached screen capture. I also repeated the same test on a Windows laptop with Chrome and Firefox, and also was not able to reproduce this.

Does your site have a custom theme by chance, or any other local code customizations? Are you following the recommended installation instructions, or have you made changes (and if yes, what changes)? Does your system meet the recommended minimum technical requirements (described here) for a production-ready system? Have you tried clearing the browser cache before repeating this test, and/or testing in an incognito / private browser window, where the cache is typically disabled by default?

Additionally, I would be curious to know (since the responsiveness is massively improved in later versions of Bootstrap) - assuming you don't have a custom theme in place, if you switch from the default Bootstrap 2 Dominion theme to the newer BS5 one (go to Admin > Themes to make this change), are you still seeing the same behavior?

I'm not sure what else to suggest or check at this point. Hopefully with a bit more information we can narrow this one down!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

atom-lowRes-screenShake-test-2023-08-18.mp4

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2023, 10:29:48 AM8/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again David,

My apologies - I misread your instructions to reproduce, and was using Setting sections that were LONGER than the left-hand navigation menu, rather than shorter. When I repeated this with the DIP upload settings, I think I can see the issue now.

It appears that a bit of Javascript or similar is attempting to ensure that the top of the navigation menu remains in focus, so scrolling down causes it to activate and try to force the view back to the top of the page, which creates a sort of stuttering effect (and prevents you from getting to the lower sections of the navigation menu).

The good news is: this does not seem to be the case in the new Boostrap 5 Dominion theme! If your site does not have a custom theme in place, you might consider using the newer B5 version of the Dominion theme as your default now. As you may be aware, this is part of a multi-release process to upgrade Bootstrap, the underlying framework used for the themes in AtoM.

The current default uses Bootstrap 2, which was deprecated in 2013 - which is why we are in the process of replacing it! However, since custom themes tend to extend from the base Dominion theme, we have been trying to stage this dependency upgrade across multiple releases, so that our community will have time to upgrade their own custom themes when we fully remove the legacy Bootstrap 2 version.

As of now, the plan is:
  • 2.7 release - introduce the new BS5 Dominion theme, but focus all release testing on the older default theme.
  • 2.8 release - Deprecate BS2 theme, but keep it in the release. All release testing will now focus on the newer Bootstrap 5 theme templates, and we encourage users to begin using this as their new default. However, legacy custom themes will still work since BS2 will still be included. Also in this period, our Maintainers will begin releasing more resources to help community developers upgrade their custom themes
  • 2.9 release - fully remove Bootstrap 2. Any legacy custom themes that have not been upgraded will no longer work.
This, along with some other noteworthy upgrade plans, was mentioned by the roadmap announcement made in the forum by our Maintainers, here:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.