2024.04.25 HYH Results

Eric Ose

May 12, 2024, 10:40:11 AMMay 12
to HSL Google Group
I'm posting these so they are searchable here.

    Note Taker: Bob
    Moderator: Rick
    Number of Members Present: 14 (12 cardmember)
        Limary, David, Rick, Eric, Moheeb, Dave, Embry (non-member), Sheldon, Bob, Shaundra, Beau, Darryll, Elljay, Luis

New Business

    Two new fundraising events are going well!
    Shaundra has a plasma cutter on long-term loan.
    Shaundra may have to step down as treasurer.
        David is prepared to take over.
        Action Item: Add David to finances email (Bob will ping Jeff Sittler)
            Update 2024-05-02: Jeff has added David to the appropriate message groups.

Proposals
Arnob Key Access

    Proposed By: Robot Ambassador Eric Ose

    Reminder this Thursday for HYH we have a proposal for @ATK to have 24/7 lab access. I'm trying to confirm we have enough people going to be there to vote. Arnob has a very busy week and school. I'm not sure he will be there in person, but we can still vote on this.

    Oh this is the proposal; https://groups.google.com/g/heatsynclabs/c/agqWr0QGwN0

Discussion

Good discussion had, some questions raised and addressed.

Consensus: Some mentoring, maybe a few co-hosting sessions with an experienced host would be good.
Vote

Unanimous assent.

Eric notifying him. David or Nate can create the key.
Financial Report

    See #Discussion Items Below

Operations
HVAC Status
Station Reports
Vinyl Cutter

    Someone used it last Saturday.
    Darryll helped a little girl make a shirt.
    There's a new (to us) Silhouette Cameo 3 sitting in the back, same model as the teal one at the station. Mystery donation.

Electronics

    Getting used a lot.

Microcontrollers

    We received some really nice microcontroller donations. David has been sorting and storing.
    Planning a redesign of the microcontroller display.
    Moving some of the less used shields to the bin shelf.

Woodworking

    An issue has been reported with the planer. Eric intends to check it out.
    Eric may shift the woodworking day to earlier for the next couple sessions.
    When Summer gets fierce, Eric may pause Woodworking day.

Machine Shop

    Light is out by the drill press.
    CNC is still malfunctioning, complicated things are causing it to get lost, diagnosis in progress.
    There is an additional mini mill that is being prepared for service. Darryll is finding space for it.
        It's currently in the biochemlab, Darryll is very conscious of the misuse of space and is addressing it ASAP.

Welding

    Shaundra has taught a few classes this year, but Summer is here.
    Shaundra is looking toward doing classes with a focus on sculptural artworks.
    Sheet goods are from a project Eric was helping with, but they left.
    Action Item: Bob to red-tag
        Update 2024-05-02: Bob moved the wood so it is not in the way of storing the welding table, and added a parking ticket. He intends to make some risers for the front window display area. The parking permit has today's date and a recommended disposal date of June if not used by then.

Screenprint

    Gretchen used it a few weeks back and it worked well.
    Beware, it's messy, plastisol ink doesn't dry and gets on everything.
        Similar to resin printing in terms of high priority of diligent cleaning.

Chemistry
Laser

    Bed leveling has been fixed.
    Missing rail has been found (it was in the side of the laser, having fallen there when the bed was lowered).
    It has been cutting really well, service to lenses not needed, mirrors are regularly cleaned.
    Oven cleaner may not be great for cleaning, since it can erode aluminum. Eric researching.

Bike
Jewelry
Sewing

    The old industrial sewing machine left, the new one is working and is heavier duty.
        The old one kept losing its timing, which is set with a set screw on a round shaft.
        It wasn't a heavy duty machine, but people were running heavy stuff though it, which was probably the cause.
    Lots of people using the station (standard machines) during open hours.
    Sewing meetup on Tuesdays is extremely popular.

Snacks
Lego
3D Printing

    1 of the FDM printers is down.
    Bob and Beau have been using the Mars, it's running well.
    Beau's friend donated a Photon 1X, Beau bought a power supply for it.
    Ultimaker is working, but nobody uses it.
    Wash & Cure station does not turn on. The power supply is good and the switch is good, but the UV light doesn't come on.
    Beau suggests bypassing the built-in circuitry and use a microcontroller to switch the LEDs and drive the stepper.
    Beau is interested in installing OctoPrint on the Longer LK5 Pro and finding a place for it. (approved / no approval needed / git 'er done)
        Action Item: Beau is free to install OctoPrint.
        Update: OctoPrint is installed and working, and the printer has a camera now.

Discussion Items
Wiki Upgrade

Topic By: Bob Bushman

The new wiki is live (this is it). I have a point version upgrade to do and a bit of documentation, and it will be fully live.

Proposal for HYH 2nd Thu in May: I propose that we point wiki.heatsynclabs.org at heatsynclabs.wiki.
Window Flyers

Topic By: Bob Bushman

I briefly had posted window flyers for my recurring fundraiser events, and intend to again.

Purpose: People walk by and only dwell for a few tens of seconds. They look in the windows. If, within 15 seconds, they can see an appeal that will bring them in the doors, we win. Our rotating signage does not satisfy that purpose, since they have to wait more than a minute to see all the screens. The calendar is - while excellent for engaged members and students - ineffective for initial impact outreach.

Goal: As a pedestrian with 15 seconds of attention, I want to see several events I can come to, so that I can become an engaged HSL member.

Proposal for HYH 2nd Thu in May: Flyers in the front window will be used for recurring monthly events that directly benefit HeatSync Labs. They will remain eligible for display as long as there is an upcoming event within the next month, open to the public, and recurring. This proposal is not intended to place limits on other things that may or may not be permitted, and is not intended to imply that these ones are currently forbidden. This is only intended to create guidelines for things that are clearly in the interest of increasing community engagement.

    Update 2024-05-02: Proposal withdrawn. Bob learned from others that his approach was sub-optimal and is now working with a person who has window display experience to come up with a more professional looking solution. See: Window Display

Discussion

    Flyers beget more flyers - including those from outside the shop (on the outside of the window).
    Laser print looks cheap.
    Can we do something that looks more professional.
    The scroll doesn't give immediate view of the available events.
    2 existing screens do "What you can make" and "Here's everything if you are willing to wait and watch".
    Action Item: Bob to put up a screen driven by a Raspi with 6 panes of the most "Welcome to HeatSync, stranger" style events (lego day, gaming nights, etc).
        Update 2024-05-02: Upon further investigation, Bob found that his idea is a bit undercooked compared to contemporary retail window display standards. He is working with others to try something a bit more professional looking. See: Window Display

Square Account

Topic By: Bob Bushman

In my new events I am selling things (proceeds going to HSL). Currently I only accept cash. I'd like to accept cards. Square charges $0.30 + 3.5% (or something like that) and we use it happily at Bike Saviours.

I'm going to set up an account that I can use for my events. I'd like to set it up in HSL's name (or someone else can, if they want), so the money goes straight to HSL's account. If that isn't acceptable, I will make my own account and pass the cash through, but that seems overly complex and unhelpful to anyone else who wants to sell things on behalf of HSL.

Proposal for HYH 2nd Thu in May: HeatSync should open a Square account and get one of those headphone jack credit card swipe thingies.
Discussion

    Make a proposal.
    That's what this is.

Financial Report

Topic By: Bob Bushman

What are the steps to resurrect the financial report?

I think I know the answer, and I think I (Bob, Secretary) am the current bottleneck. Here's my understanding:

    Update our board of directors registration with the government. (Bob)
    Wait for update to propagate so it is visible in public records.
    Go to bank and ask them to change our account's accessors to the appropriate board members (Shaundra and who else? I (Bob) would like to be on it, since I love finance data).

Open questions:

    Should any current bank accessors who are not on the board continue to have access? For example, David does a lot of good for us managing the actual account balances.
    Are the above steps wrong?
    What board members should have access to the bank account?
    Who else should have access?

Proposal for HYH 2nd Thu in May: I propose that Bob Bushman update the government records then chaperones the rest of the process, doing as much of the leg work as he is able to do, and requesting support from others where necessary (eg: Shaundra or David may be needed to help with the bank account transfer work).

    Update 2024-05-02: Proposal withdrawn. This doesn't affect cashflow, rules, bylaws, or how the space is used. The official records should be updated and working with David and Shaundra to offer support on creating financial reports would be nice.

Discussion

    CPA might be the one to update the AZ corporation commission.
    Action Item: Bob to contact CPA to request update.

Action Items

    Action Item: Add David to finances email (Bob will ping Jeff Sittler)
        Update 2024-05-02: Jeff has added David to the appropriate message groups.
    Action Item: Bob to red-tag (wood in welding area)
        Update 2024-05-02: Bob moved the wood so it is not in the way of storing the welding table, and added a parking ticket. He intends to make some risers for the front window display area. The parking permit has today's date and a recommended disposal date of June if not used by then.
    Action Item: Beau is free to install OctoPrint on the Longer LK5 Pro.
        Update: OctoPrint is installed and working, and the printer has a camera now.
    Action Item: Bob to put up a screen driven by a Raspi with 6 panes of the most "Welcome to HeatSync, stranger" style events (lego day, gaming nights, etc).
        Update 2024-05-02: Upon further investigation, Bob found that his idea is a bit undercooked compared to contemporary retail window display standards. He is working with others to try something a bit more professional looking. See: Window Display
    Action Item: Bob to contact CPA to request update.

Eric Ose
Robot Ambassador
It's just an idea until there's a date and time included.