Re: Digest for harp-l-meta-discussions@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

Richard Owen

Aug 31, 2012, 3:05:39 PM8/31/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
So we have two generous and humble candidates. Thank you. Might I suggest that the two of you talk off thread and decide which one of you will lead the transition. I suggest that we would benefit from a clear point person. Hopefully we will all rally around the new lead and get things sorted.

Will, John, let us know which one of you will run point during the transition.

Richard

On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:55 AM, harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/harp-l-meta-discussions/topics

    William Lifford <william...@gmail.com> Aug 30 01:00PM -0400

    Sorry for the delay in responding. I am willing to help. If the list
    needs me to be the listowner, then I'll do it. I don't have a lot of time
    for it, but I certainly will take the job on rather than see Harp-L die out.

    There are most likely better candidates, but in the absence of a more
    qualified person, the list can count on me.

    Please do not see this as any sort of power grab. I don't care for

    There is no way I can tolerate Harp-L going the way of the dinosaur,
    because I don't play many gigs and I'm pretty sure I will never get spousal
    clearance to attend SPAH. Harp-L is my main connection to the harmonica
    world.

    John Concilus <jcon...@gmail.com> Aug 30 10:43AM -0800

    Hello,

    Because the actual transition is not quite as abrupt as I had feared, I am
    willing to assist. I had no time this month or in early September, so was
    a little hesitant to raise my hand until now.. ;-)

    Like William, I do not particularly want the leadership role, per se, but
    am willing to do it if needed. I do not want to see the list go away, even
    though I am more of a lurker than a poster. It serves a valuable role in
    the harmonica community. I am only a yucker as a harp player when compared
    to most of our members, but I have enjoyed the list for many, many years.

    I do have some experience with Mailman, I run numerous Linux-based VPS and
    colo server installations, and have no philosophical issue with keeping the
    fairly clear guidelines about topics and so on. I think the list should
    stay just that....a mail list. I'm not entirely sure I need to be
    anonymous, but I'm not opposed to it.

    Depending on the details of the total setup and synchronization with
    archives and so on, I am willing to put Harp-l on my own servers for an
    indefinite period, and can do domain and DNS changes as needed. Our
    servers are hosted with Servint, right off the Internet backbone in the
    Beltway area of Virginia. It's a very secure facility and we have nightly
    off-server backups for all our domains and so on.

    Finally, I discussed it with my wife, as I realize it is a significant
    commitment. She says she doesn't mind sharing me, so....I'm here if there
    is a need for volunteers. However, I would not be able to devote a ton of
    time to transition discussions until mid-September. because I am in the
    implementation phase a big project at the moment.

    Hope this helps. If not, that's cool, too. So long as someone steps up, I'm
    available in some fashion.

    Regards,

    John

    On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM, William Lifford

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group harp-l-meta-discussions.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.