Re: Digest for harp-l-meta-discussions@googlegroups.com - 12 Messages in 2 Topics

Richard Owen

Aug 28, 2012, 6:21:19 PM8/28/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
There's a transitional leadership vacuum here.

Bill, do you want to be the new leader? Does anyone else? Let's identify the candidates.

Once we have a new leader, we can start supporting that person and following the lead.

I see enough willingness to contribute money and possibly (not completely sure) enough volunteers with skills and time. We just need to mobilize.

Richard

William Lifford

Aug 30, 2012, 1:00:57 PM8/30/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I am willing to help.  If the list needs me to be the listowner, then I'll do it.  I don't have a lot of time for it, but I certainly will take the job on rather than see Harp-L die out.

There are most likely better candidates, but in the absence of a more qualified person, the list can count on me.

Please do not see this as any sort of power grab.  I don't care for

There is no way I can tolerate Harp-L going the way of the dinosaur, because I don't play many gigs and I'm pretty sure I will never get spousal clearance to attend SPAH.  Harp-L is my main connection to the harmonica world.

John Concilus

Aug 30, 2012, 2:43:07 PM8/30/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Because the actual transition is not quite as abrupt as I had feared, I am willing to assist.  I had no time this month or in early September, so was a little hesitant to raise my hand until now.. ;-)

Like William, I do not particularly want the leadership role, per se, but am willing to do it if needed. I do not want to see the list go away, even though I am more of a lurker than a poster. It serves a valuable role in the harmonica community. I am only a yucker as a harp player when compared to most of our members, but I have enjoyed the list for many, many years.

I do have some experience with Mailman, I run numerous Linux-based VPS and colo server installations, and have no philosophical issue with keeping the fairly clear guidelines about topics and so on. I think the list should stay just that....a mail list.  I'm not entirely sure I need to be anonymous, but I'm not opposed to it.

Depending on the details of the total setup and synchronization with archives and so on, I am willing to put Harp-l on my own servers for an indefinite period,  and can do domain and DNS changes as needed.  Our servers are hosted with Servint, right off the Internet backbone in the Beltway area of Virginia. It's a very secure facility and we have nightly off-server backups for all our domains and so on.

Finally, I discussed it with my wife, as I realize it is a significant commitment. She says she doesn't mind sharing me, so....I'm here if there is a need for volunteers. However,  I would not be able to devote a ton of time to transition discussions until mid-September. because I am in the implementation phase a big project at the moment.

Hope this helps. If not, that's cool, too. So long as someone steps up, I'm available in some fashion.

Regards,

John