Language support questions (Elixir)

pdgonz...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 7:25:10 AM7/23/20
to grpc.io
Hi!

Thanks for maintaining gRPC!

I wanted to reach out about a couple of questions I had about language support. I enjoy using the Elixir programming language and I know there are a few folks that use gRPC with it already, but the library[0] is not maintained by your project. With that said:
- have you considered adding Elixir[1] support?
- what are the requirements to support a language? Is there a formal request mechanism?
- I imagine you would not welcome a tutorial/examples (like the existing ones[2]) for a lib that is not maintained by your team, is that correct? If not,

Thanks you!

Paulo Daniel

[0] Existing gRPC Elixir library: https://github.com/elixir-grpc/grpc
[2] Currently supported languages: https://grpc.io/docs/languages/

pdgonz...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 7:26:37 AM7/23/20
to grpc.io
Sorry for the `If not, ` typo above.

PD

Patrice Chalin

Jul 23, 2020, 11:58:38 AM7/23/20
to grpc.io
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your post and your questions. The gRPC Docs Working Group started discussing these questions at their last meeting, a few days ago. I'll post here once we have some answers to share.

Patrice

zda...@google.com

Jul 29, 2020, 1:19:14 PM7/29/20
to grpc.io
On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 8:58:38 AM UTC-7 pch...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your post and your questions. The gRPC Docs Working Group started discussing these questions at their last meeting, a few days ago. I'll post here once we have some answers to share.

Patrice

Any update to share?

Patrice Chalin

Jul 29, 2020, 1:24:23 PM7/29/20
to grpc.io
Not yet since the Docs WG hasn't met -- we were all a gRPC Conf 2020 this week. I'll likely have something to share within the next two weeks.

Paulo D Gonzalez

Aug 28, 2020, 10:34:49 AM8/28/20
to grpc.io
Hi Patrice! Hope the world is not as crazy where you are as it is where I am! Lots of stuff going on, 2020 has been... interesting. :)

Hope you had a great time at the conference. I'm excited for a conference too, ElixirConf is next week!

Do you have any updates on this? Please let me know if there are any action points or anything I can do to help.

Thanks again!

Patrice Chalin

Aug 28, 2020, 12:46:43 PM8/28/20
to grpc.io
Hi Paulo! The topic was discussed in our last meeting, and action items were assigned. I don't have much more to report at the moment. I'm OOO for another couple of weeks, and I won't have more news to share before I'm back. Thanks for your patience. Patrice

Paulo D Gonzalez

May 12, 2021, 10:48:08 PMMay 12
to Patrice Chalin, grpc.io
Hi Patrice!

Are there any updates on this? Hope you have been doing well,

Thanks,

Paulo

Patrice Chalin

May 19, 2021, 10:29:54 AMMay 19
to grpc.io
Hi Paulo! Thanks for the ping. Probably the best thing to do is to present your case at the next community meeting. See the grpc.io Community page for a link to the meeting calendar, Meetup event page, Meeting doc, etc. Cheers, Patrice

Paulo D Gonzalez

May 19, 2021, 10:43:10 AMMay 19
to Patrice Chalin, grpc.io
Hi Patrice,

I'm not sure I have a case to present, I was just curious if folks in your project had intentions to support Elixir in the future. Happy to join the next meeting if you think is necessary, but I guess all I'd do is ask that question?

PG

Patrice Chalin

May 20, 2021, 9:09:34 AMMay 20
to Paulo D Gonzalez, grpc.io
Right.

Paulo D Gonzalez

May 26, 2021, 12:42:20 PMMay 26
to Patrice Chalin, grpc.io
Patrice, I had a family emergency and was not able to attend the meeting.

I will try to make the June one.

Thanks,

Paulo

Patrice Chalin

May 26, 2021, 12:43:57 PMMay 26
to Paulo D Gonzalez, grpc.io
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 12:42 PM Paulo D Gonzalez <pdgonz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrice, I had a family emergency and was not able to attend the meeting.

Sorry about the emergency, Paulo.

I will try to make the June one.

Sounds good.