Language support questions (Elixir)

pdgonz...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 7:25:10 AM7/23/20
to grpc.io
Hi!

Thanks for maintaining gRPC!

I wanted to reach out about a couple of questions I had about language support. I enjoy using the Elixir programming language and I know there are a few folks that use gRPC with it already, but the library[0] is not maintained by your project. With that said:
- have you considered adding Elixir[1] support?
- what are the requirements to support a language? Is there a formal request mechanism?
- I imagine you would not welcome a tutorial/examples (like the existing ones[2]) for a lib that is not maintained by your team, is that correct? If not,

Thanks you!

Paulo Daniel

[0] Existing gRPC Elixir library: https://github.com/elixir-grpc/grpc
[2] Currently supported languages: https://grpc.io/docs/languages/

pdgonz...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 7:26:37 AM7/23/20
to grpc.io
Sorry for the `If not, ` typo above.

PD

Patrice Chalin

Jul 23, 2020, 11:58:38 AM7/23/20
to grpc.io
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your post and your questions. The gRPC Docs Working Group started discussing these questions at their last meeting, a few days ago. I'll post here once we have some answers to share.

Patrice

zda...@google.com

Jul 29, 2020, 1:19:14 PM7/29/20
to grpc.io
On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 8:58:38 AM UTC-7 pch...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your post and your questions. The gRPC Docs Working Group started discussing these questions at their last meeting, a few days ago. I'll post here once we have some answers to share.

Patrice

Any update to share?

Patrice Chalin

Jul 29, 2020, 1:24:23 PM7/29/20
to grpc.io
Not yet since the Docs WG hasn't met -- we were all a gRPC Conf 2020 this week. I'll likely have something to share within the next two weeks.

Paulo D Gonzalez

Aug 28, 2020, 10:34:49 AM8/28/20
to grpc.io
Hi Patrice! Hope the world is not as crazy where you are as it is where I am! Lots of stuff going on, 2020 has been... interesting. :)

Hope you had a great time at the conference. I'm excited for a conference too, ElixirConf is next week!

Do you have any updates on this? Please let me know if there are any action points or anything I can do to help.

Thanks again!

Patrice Chalin

Aug 28, 2020, 12:46:43 PM8/28/20
to grpc.io
Hi Paulo! The topic was discussed in our last meeting, and action items were assigned. I don't have much more to report at the moment. I'm OOO for another couple of weeks, and I won't have more news to share before I'm back. Thanks for your patience. Patrice

Paulo D Gonzalez

May 12, 2021, 10:48:08 PM5/12/21
to Patrice Chalin, grpc.io
Hi Patrice!

Are there any updates on this? Hope you have been doing well,

Thanks,

Paulo

Patrice Chalin

May 19, 2021, 10:29:54 AM5/19/21
to grpc.io
Hi Paulo! Thanks for the ping. Probably the best thing to do is to present your case at the next community meeting. See the grpc.io Community page for a link to the meeting calendar, Meetup event page, Meeting doc, etc. Cheers, Patrice

Paulo D Gonzalez

May 19, 2021, 10:43:10 AM5/19/21
to Patrice Chalin, grpc.io
Hi Patrice,

I'm not sure I have a case to present, I was just curious if folks in your project had intentions to support Elixir in the future. Happy to join the next meeting if you think is necessary, but I guess all I'd do is ask that question?

PG

Patrice Chalin

May 20, 2021, 9:09:34 AM5/20/21
to Paulo D Gonzalez, grpc.io
Right.

Paulo D Gonzalez

May 26, 2021, 12:42:20 PM5/26/21
to Patrice Chalin, grpc.io
Patrice, I had a family emergency and was not able to attend the meeting.

I will try to make the June one.

Thanks,

Paulo

Patrice Chalin

May 26, 2021, 12:43:57 PM5/26/21
to Paulo D Gonzalez, grpc.io
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 12:42 PM Paulo D Gonzalez <pdgonz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrice, I had a family emergency and was not able to attend the meeting.

Sorry about the emergency, Paulo.

I will try to make the June one.

Sounds good.