How to create Item Group ID for the products having many variants

Spencer's Pashmina

Sep 17, 2022, 6:28:55 AM9/17/22
to Google Content API for Shopping
Hi,

My products have many variants. Google Merchant Center is showing all of these variants as separate products. My products are linked with Google Merchant Center via Content API from Shopify. Please advise how I should create Item Group ID for each product.

Shopping API Forum Advisor

Sep 19, 2022, 1:33:30 AM9/19/22
to spencers...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Ciara here, from the Content API support team. Thank you for reaching out to our public forum.

The item_group_id attribute allows you to group product variants in your product data and also your product variants are shown to customers as a group, instead of separately. From the Content API’s perspective, to programmatically add item_group_id attribute to your products uploaded in the Content API feed within your merchant account, you can use the Supplemental feed or products.update method that allows you to make partial updates to your product data and to provide additional attributes, both required and optional, that may be missing from your primary feed.

However, if you are using a third party application to send your products to your merchant account, then it would be best to reach out to their support team and ask for their assistance on where and how you can include the item_group_id attribute to your product variants using your application as product data modification is being made within their platform.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Google Logo
Ciara
Content API for Shopping Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ePkWh:ref

Spencer's Pashmina

Sep 19, 2022, 10:32:55 AM9/19/22
to Google Content API for Shopping
Thanks for your input. I am a novice. I request you to please guide me a step further by giving an example of adding one Item Group Id

Shopping API Forum Advisor

Sep 19, 2022, 8:59:15 PM9/19/22
to spencers...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

We cannot perform any actions on your Merchant Center account for you. Instead, we can only provide guidance on how you can resolve a specific issue within the Content API. With that, allow us to assist you to the best of our ability through email.

From the Content API’s perspective, you may refer to this documentation on how to format your API call to include the itemGroupId. On the other hand, it appears that you are using Shopify to submit your products into your Merchant account. If you are not familiar with the Content API method, I would recommend including the item group ID attribute via your Shopify application as the Content API methods are already implemented within their platform’s backend. Should you need further assistance in including the said attribute within Shopify, kindly reach out to the Shopify support team through this contact support link.

Please be informed that we cannot further comment on what goes on the Shopify Application as our API team does not have access or any visibility to the platform. Also, even though it uses Content API to perform its tasks, the application may have additional functionalities and behavior that we are not familiar with.

Another option in adding the Item Group Id is via the Merchant Center UI’s supplemental feed. You may refer to this article for instructions on how to create a Supplemental feed(non-Content API input method). If you have any questions on the given article, kindly raise it to the merchant center support team as they are the primary support of this functionality within the merchant center. You can contact the merchant center support team through this contact support link.

Best Regards,

Google Logo
Angel Maia