Add Global Contact?

Ullfig, Roberto Alfredo

Mar 31, 2021, 3:05:31 PM3/31/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to add a Global Contact to GSuite with GAM. This is for a contact outside the GSuite instance/domain. I believe it's supported via an API.

---
Roberto Ullfig - rul...@uic.edu
Systems Administrator
Enterprise Applications & Services | Technology Solutions
University of Illinois - Chicago

Ross Scroggs

Mar 31, 2021, 3:07:57 PM3/31/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Ullfig, Roberto Alfredo

Mar 31, 2021, 3:21:07 PM3/31/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Robero,

Advanced GAM is a superset of Standard GAM, you can use it for all of your GAM needs.

Ross

Ullfig, Roberto Alfredo

Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 2:20 PM

Ian Crew

Mar 31, 2021, 4:03:10 PM3/31/21
to GAM for G Suite

Ian Crew

Solutions Architect
Productivity & Collaboration Services
Information Services and Technology

Gabriel Clifton

Mar 31, 2021, 4:29:26 PM3/31/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
They are both currently being developed. Both are developed by people doing this in their "free" time so some changes can take time. Also, the two different programs are like a light and extreme version of another program. Not everyone needs everything that GAMADV does so regular GAM fills in perfectly. Why have Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise, why not just have one version? Not everyone needs everything in the Enterprise version so why have it there and not used.

--

Gabriel Clifton | Network Administrator

Fort Stockton ISD | Technology Center
gabriel...@fsisd.net | http://www.fsisd.net
Office (432) 336-4055 ext 2

Fax (432) 336-4050
1204 W. Second St.,
Fort Stockton, TX 79735

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

"You must always be willing to work without applause."
— Ernest Hemingway

"You just have to find that thing that's special about you that distinguishes you from all the others, and through true talent, hard work, and passion, anything can happen."
— Dr. Dre

Kim Nilsson

Apr 1, 2021, 5:55:47 AM4/1/21
to GAM for Google Workspace
Same question covers Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, iOS, car manufacturers and car models (!), and different brands of cheese and soap.

Ullfig, Roberto Alfredo

Same question covers Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, iOS, car manufacturers and car models (!), and different brands of cheese and soap.

Trevor Scanlan

Apr 1, 2021, 10:32:46 AM4/1/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Gam and Advanced GAM are treated with different approaches, different developers and are FREE. I don't see how merging them actually improves security, it just keeps you from having to do some paperwork but you wouldn't be improving security. You have a shared code base but each would still be extended independently of each other with different risks based on the customizations of each product. It separates features as well, maybe a workplace doesn't want their techs to have access to the features of Advanced GAM. For these and everyone else's reasons, it is not needlessly complicated. If anything I would say do the research of the available products before going through the approval process of a program that didn't have the features you needed.

--
Trevor Scanlan
Technology Assistant

Ian Crew

Apr 1, 2021, 10:39:38 AM4/1/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Several thoughts:

In the FLOSS world, branches of products are really very common, and have been for decades now. As one major example, the family tree of shells—sh, csh, tcsh, bash, zsh and so on—is decidedly complex, and many *nix distributions contain more than one to this very day.

Ross and Jay both put tremendous amounts of time into GAM/GAM-ADVX, and to providing absolutely unreal levels of support for them, far more and better than many commercial products. This is above and beyond their day job, for both of them. To be explicit about that: neither of them get paid, by anyone, to do what they do for the Google Workspace admin community.

Ross and Jay have also decided that having two distributions, GAM and GAM-Advanced, is what works best for them. To unify into a single distribution would obviously add a bunch of additional administrivia and coordination. I can totally understand why they might have settled on this model, which allows each of them to spend more time doing the parts that they actually enjoy doing. And I honestly don’t think any of us have any leg to stand on to argue with that decision.

On a more practical level, as Advanced GAM is a superset of GAM that generally  tracks quite closely to the current GAM release, most folks I know who use GAM in a larger production environment tend to just install Advanced GAM (and run that version through any necessary security reviews, etc.), not both.

Ian

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman

Apr 1, 2021, 11:20:03 AM4/1/21
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
+1 regarding what Ian said

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman
Yeshiva Toras Chaim Toras Emes
305-944-5344 x222 (o)
305-494-2055 (c)
ytcte.org

Ullfig, Roberto Alfredo

Jan 21, 2022, 9:30:04 AM1/21/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Picking up on an old thread, if only to add a perspective to the archive: Google's stance on the issue of providing 'expert level' tooling, such as command line oriented facilities, is that they provide a set of APIs where a plethora of types of tooling (internal as wel as externally developed and maintained) can hook into. It is fairly well documented and supported in the sense of example documentation for all kinds of development tools and frequent (developer) community outreach.

GAM and its siblings are really nothing more than Python programs (scripts) that make extensive use of a wide range of these APIs. Significant changes to both programs more often than not reflect changes in those APIs, rather than new functionality based on the existing APIs.

Also, GAM(s) do a lot more than just exposing the API functionality to a command line interpreter. If Google were to develop this in-house, they would more or less be bound to exposing 100% of the API and i'm not convinced the user community would be better off with that.

The above said, I personally think Google should just award the GAM(s) developers a monthly "above and beyond the call of duty" award of a few thousand $s to reflect the hundreds, if not thousands of advanced paying users (or clients) for which they make Google Workspace a practical ecosystem to work with.

hth -- Peter

Kim Nilsson

Jan 21, 2022, 9:46:10 AM1/21/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Well said, Peter.

With Jay working at Google, one could say that Google is repaying that a little bit. :-)

Ross, the happy retiree who still works for fun every day, always says he's doing fine, when asked how to thank him, but please, help out expanding the wiki, and answer questions in the group - I don't know how to reward him, other than doing just that, so I do help out wherever I can. I ask weird and sometimes complex but hopefully relevant questions, and answer others' when possible.

/Kim