[android banner questions] Can I preload banners?

wanm...@gmail.com

May 21, 2021, 4:53:56 AM5/21/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

   I have a lot questions about AdMob banners in Android.

   1. Can I preload banners?

    For example, I load banners at Activity.onCreate(), then I show the preloaded banner when I go to a specific fragment.

   2. AdView can be clicked multi times?

    As you know, there is a refresh frequency for AdView(or Banners).
    If I click "Youtube Ad", after a minute, the same banner shows a "Google Drive" ad, is it a valid click to click the "Google Drive"  ad?

  3. When I destroy the AdView object?

   In my opinion, the best practice of calling Adview.destory() is when the adView was clicked, because the clicked banner is "consumed", I have to reload a new banner.
   For sure, you have to call Adview.destory() in Acitvity.onDestory().

   Is it reasonable?

   4. Same AdView should be attached to different screens?

   For example, A activity has 4 fragments, every fragments will show a banner, but the fragments never be in the same screen simultaneously.
   So is it ok to make same AdView be attached to different screens?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 21, 2021, 10:13:46 AM5/21/21
to wanm...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wan,

Thank you for bringing your questions to our attention. Allow me to answer them as best we can.
  1. At this moment we do not have a way to preload banners
  2. The ad can only really be clicked once, but as the ad that can be displayed may be the same or some variance of a certain ad. This could seem to be the same but in our system would be considered a different ad/click.
  3. Calling the .destroy on a click would actually not be the best use of it. As once that is done, you have removed all reference to that AdView, this will lead to Null Pointer errors and for that you want to not use it. When would .destroy() be good? If you are offering the user a paywall for no ads? If you definitely will not want to be using the AdView again. Thinsg like that.
  4. Yes you can put adViews in multiple locations or fragments.
Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref

wanm...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 2:34:13 AM5/24/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi William,

Thanks very much for replying me, But I had to ask more questions about your reply.

Your Reply ---> 1. At this moment we do not have a way to preload banners

I have known AdMob doesn't offer the apis to preload banners, what I wanna know is : is it legal to preload banners?

For example, I load banners at Activity.onCreate(), but I don't display it immediately at the same time.
After ten minutes later, I display the banner preloaded at Activity.onCreate() when I enter a fragment.

Your Reply --->  2. Yes you can put adViews in multiple locations or fragments.

I don't think I have describe the questions clearly. Now I wanna ask the question one more time. Sorry for my poor english.

+ First, I load a AdView at MyActivity.onCreate(), and I make it a member of MyActivity named banner. Then I can get it by MyActivity.banner.
+ Second, I enter my fragment A, I displayed the MyActivity.banner
+ Third, I quit the fragment A, and I remove MyActivity.banner from the UI tree.
+ Fourth, I enter my fragment B, then displayed the MyActivity.banner

So is it ok to show the same AdView object on different fragments?

My new Question : Does AdView will auto refresh not matter it is displayed or not?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 24, 2021, 3:47:12 AM5/24/21
to wanm...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I work along with William. Let me do the best I can to answer your inquiries.

As much as you want to implement your use case, I'm afraid that you can only preload interstitial ads, and is the expected pattern for application to use. On the other hand, preloading banners is a violation of AdMob policy. Please do note that every time your app requests a banner ad, it's expected to display that banner to the user immediately after receiving it. Otherwise, advertisers can be charged for ads that are never shown.

With that all said, it's best and recommended to follow our banner implementation help center article instead.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie Pimentel
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref

wanm...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 4:52:45 AM5/24/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Wennie,

I pretty appreciate your kind reply.

As you said, preloading banners is a violation of AdMob policy.

Can you show me a url clearly tell me the violation of AdMob policy for preloading banners.

Thanks a lot

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 24, 2021, 9:46:23 AM5/24/21
to wanm...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wan,

Thank you for responding back to us. I have been looking more into this for you. II did find some more information about this for you. While it does not exactly fit your use case, it does show you some ways that you could go about achieving the effect that you are looking for. Here is our recylcerView example that has a built in way to gather multiple banner ads and display them based on a programmatic setup.

Also at the same time, we would suggest reaching out to your ad service providers to make sure that if you do this, you are not violating any of there policies too.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref

wanm...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 11:21:23 PM5/24/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi William and Wennie,

 As Wennie said, preloading banners is a violation of AdMob policy.

Can you give me more information to know how does preloading banners violate the AdMob policy?

Such as a AdMob policy URL.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 25, 2021, 1:58:28 AM5/25/21
to wanm...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I work with William and Wennie. Allow me to assist you on this. As I checked your concern in this thread, I'm afraid I can't give further insight since this is more of policy related rather than anything specific to code implementation of the Mobile Ads SDK. For policy related concern, we recommend raising this to Product support team for better insight.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela Pineda
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref

AdilAli

Jan 2, 2023, 6:21:51 AM1/2/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello everyone,

w.r.t. preloading the Admob Banner Ads, I came across the following thread in Mobile Ads SDK forum. If you follow the below thread to the end, Sam & Eric Leichtenschlag (from Mobile Ads SDK Team) stated that it is safe to preload Native Advanced and Banner Ads since an impression is now recorded when the first pixel of an ad is displayed on screen.

So the information becomes contradicting between these two conversations. Request you to please let us know if it is acceptable to pre-load Banner Ads or not (from AdMob perspective and not from mediation).

Thank you
Adil Ali

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jan 3, 2023, 12:34:05 AM1/3/23
to adil....@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi AdilAli,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

With regard to your concern, as per our team on the forum thread you've provided, you may use our sample banner recyclerView app that load banner ads as preloading for reference in your application. Just kindly make sure that you follow the recommend banner implementation and avoid the discourage banner implementation to avoid any policy violation.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref

AdilAli

Jan 3, 2023, 8:09:57 AM1/3/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Dear Princess Pamela,

Thank you for your response, it helps a lot.
Could you also please let me know what is the expiry time of a loaded Banner Ad? After which, if we show the Banner Ad, an impression is not counted.

Thanks
Adil Ali

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jan 3, 2023, 2:14:28 PM1/3/23
to adil....@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I work along with Princess Pamela. Allow me to assist you in this.

The expiration depends on the creative, reference and memory of the device and does not have a single constant on how long it will be valid within the app. This is the reason why we recommend to use the Google-optimized automatic refresh rate. More information can be found here.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref

AdilAli

Jan 3, 2023, 3:25:04 PM1/3/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello Teejay,

Thanks a lot for your response.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Feb 23, 2023, 1:37:25 PM2/23/23
to adil....@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

To set the record straight, preloading ads in 2023 is still fine. The guidance from https://groups.google.com/g/google-admob-ads-sdk/c/BuczXZG9AeU still stands - AdMob and Ad Manager use a 1px impression definition for all network/backfill based ads, so an impression isn't counted until the ad is shown.

For preloading, after roughly an hour, the server may consider the ad "expired" and not count the impression, even if an impression ping is sent from the client. This is only documented on native ads today (https://developers.google.com/admob/android/native/start#when_to_request_ads) but applies similarly to all formats. I will say though, that generally you shouldn't need to preload banners for an hour. Unlike full screen ads which need to be preloaded because the user experience changes drastically on show, and you need to have an ad ready for the show opportunity, banners space can be reserved and the ad can come in whenever. For a feed style app, you may preload some banners so they show up in the feed loaded, but that may only be on the order of seconds or maybe a few minutes that you'd need to preload.

If you're preloading a banner for an hour, perhaps reconsider if there's a better point in time you could preload that banner so that it doesn't need to be an hour, or a different place to show that banner. Also note that banner ads will reload (assuming you set a refresh rate) once on screen, so even if the first banner impression gets discounted, refreshes would happen if the banner is on screen long enough, and impressions from the refreshes would get counted for the next ~hour.

Thanks,
Eric, Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HCdk7:ref