Preloading ads

Raphael Nubage

Feb 15, 2015, 3:29:34 AM2/15/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I wonder, if preloading ads is illegal. I do this to reduce the time to show them and noticed that my impressions has risen because of that.

In my app, I have a button called "Support :)" and the user will only see an ad if he clickes there, otherwise not (but I still get +1 Impression when he opens the app). In my understanding, only clicks bring money, so does it matter if my impressions aren't real anymore?

I had a loading time of about 2 seconds (~12000kbits internet), now that I preload, I come to around 0.3-0.5 seconds i think. This should make an impact since I assume that a lot of users "check the whole app" and leave the support-menu after a short time without even be able to see the ad in some cases.

Andrew Brogdon (Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Feb 17, 2015, 2:36:34 PM2/17/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Preloading interstitial ads is completely correct, and is the expected pattern for applications to use.  Preloading banners, on the other hand, is a violation of AdMob policy.  Every time your app requests a banner, it's expected to display that banner to the user immediately on receiving it. Otherwise, advertisers can be charged for ads that are never shown.

If your support menu is something that users frequently open and close very quickly, it's probably not a good placement for a banner ad. If that's the case, I would recommend placing banners elsewhere in your application.

-Andrew

Raphael Nubage

Feb 18, 2015, 7:52:41 AM2/18/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer! :) Good to know that it's a violation.
Does this mean, that I will get paid even for impressions (at some range)?

--

---

Andrew Brogdon (Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Raphael Nubage

Feb 18, 2015, 1:22:26 PM2/18/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
This is sad. :(
If I preload an ad I can safe around 2-3 seconds which makes a huge impact on the clickrate I suppose. It would be nice if I could preload it without incrementing the impression count.

But of course, I have to adapt. Thank you very much for your help.

Eric Leichtenschlag (Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Mar 13, 2018, 7:45:08 PM3/13/18
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
For posterity, AdMob changed the impression definition for banners in late 2016 to count impressions when the first pixel of an ad is displayed on screen, instead of when the banner is loaded. That means it is now safe to preload ads from the AdMob perspective.

Note that if you're using AdMob mediation, you'll want to confirm with your other ad network partners whether they are ok with preloading.

Thanks,
Eric, Mobile Ads SDK Team

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Andrew Brogdon (Mobile Ads SDK Team) <mobileadssdk-advisor+andrew@google.com> wrote:
[...]

Gullu Studios

mobileadssdk...@google.com

Mar 11, 2019, 6:57:14 AM3/11/19
to Gullu Studios, Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Yes, you may.  We have an example that loads banner ads for a RecyclerView at https://github.com/googlesamples/android-ads/tree/master/advanced/BannerRecyclerViewExample.

Regards

Sam

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-admob-ads-sdk/95a2c297-d492-4bc4-9d3a-1d558f3e7109%40googlegroups.com.

Liran Barsisa

Jun 24, 2023, 4:31:32 AM6/24/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Your sample doesn't show how to preload an ad.
It just loads and shows it like any normal one, yet inside a RecyclerView.
What preloading means is that you load the ad in the background (Activity instance might not even be available), and later you show it, be it in a Fragment, Activity, or even a floating UI (using SAW permission).
Please show some sample of how it's done for AdView.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jun 26, 2023, 11:10:30 AM6/26/23
to lbl...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Liran,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you confirm if you've checked our sample (https://github.com/googleads/googleads-mobile-android-examples/tree/main/java/advanced/BannerRecyclerViewExample) for reference for preloading ads? You can use it as reference on how the preloading ads works in your project. However, if this still is not what you're referring to, kindly provide us the use case or more information on how you want it to work so we can check it with the wider team for review.

This message is in relation to case "ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2mX8rK:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team