Newbie Looking For Guidance

Paul Robertson

Aug 19, 2022, 9:50:38 PM8/19/22
to goestools-users
I am new to his group and want to  learn all I can copying GOES 16. I just purchased the Nooelectric GOES bundle  I am receiving a signal using SDR# and a new laptop running Windows 11. (I fully realize that Raspberry Pi is the way to go following this group. However the only thing I know about Raspberry Pi is that it is good with vanilla icecream at this point....but I hope to learn all about it.

My question is...I understand Satdump works with Windows as does another program called LeanHRIT. Could someone please advise me the settings for Satdump in order that I can see if I can copy an image or even if my signal is strong enough.
I may look at purchasing the commercial software at some time but would like to confirm if I am on the right track by using Satdump first.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Paul
VE3HFQ

Pieter Noordhuis

Aug 21, 2022, 7:21:56 AM8/21/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

You can try and pull up a frequency waterfall around 1694.1 MHz to check if your signal is strong enough to receive the signal.

This screenshot shows what it should look like: https://groups.google.com/g/goestools-users/c/iu0xnMHwyf0/m/XX4KNT9EBAAJ

A broad signal centered at 1694.1 MHz (about 1 MHz wide) with a narrow signal on the left hand side (at 1693 MHz).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Pieter

Paul Robertson

Aug 21, 2022, 8:54:06 AM8/21/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the reply Peter. Here is a screenshot of my signal. I have downloaded satdump onto Windows 11 but when I click  “ receive live” I get lines that say “no sync”. I think I need the settings for satdump in order to receive my first picture. Do you or anyone know of the settings for satdump?

Paul

Pieter Noordhuis

Aug 27, 2022, 3:08:09 AM8/27/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I'm not familiar with satdump so can't help you there. The waterfall looks good, but a bit faint for reception. Looks like the big lump is at about 5dB over the noise floor. I recall a couple dB more is needed for good reception. You could try optimizing the dish aim, tweak the gain settings on your SDR, or even remove superfluous cabling, if any to try and improve the signal.

Cheers,
Pieter

Aleksey Smolenchuk

Aug 28, 2022, 4:29:59 PM8/28/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
I also always advice to check the antenna polarization (rotation) as I was making that mistake early on. Good luck! This is such a fun project.