Re: [gears-users] Digest for gears-users@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Martijn van de Rijdt

Feb 6, 2011, 9:40:37 PM2/6/11
to gears...@googlegroups.com
In my testing Google Frame does not provide the applicationCache to IE either (it does provide localStorage to IE6 and IE7, not sure about Web SQL). It kind of makes sense because I believe Google Frame only starts doing its thing (take over) once it has read the special meta tag - so after the page is retrieved from the server.

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM, <gears-use...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/gears-users/topics

    MarkS <mark.s...@gmail.com> Feb 05 07:41PM -0800 ^

    I think Gears was deprecated too soon. Hopefully Google will continue
    to support it and keep it working for a while longer until the similar
    features in HTML5 get sorted out, fully implemented and established.

    For example, the need is for a local database and an offline app
    cache.

    The HTML5 Web SQL Database spec appears to be dead. [
    http://dev.w3.org/html5/webdatabase/ ]
    This was implemented in Chrome and Safari I think, will it continue to
    be supported in future versions or will it end up being deprecated
    since it is not part of the html5 spec? It likely won't be implemented
    in Firefox or IE.

    IndexedDB is not fully implemented yet. [
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(HTML_5)#Related_specifications
    ]
    This appears to be the HTML5 database spec going forward. This is
    probably the one to use for a local db, but not quite yet? It looks
    like IE9/Firefox,/Chrome will support it.

    For offline app cache, IE/Trident is a 'no' on the Wikipedia chart.
    That's a problem if your customers use IE. You'd need to use Google
    Chrome Frame in IE to get offline app functionality.

    Will Google Chrome Frame continue to be supported for IE9, or only for
    IE6,7,8?

    On Feb 3, 4:38 pm, Michael Nordman <gears.tea...@gmail.com>
    wrote:

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martijnvanderijdt

MarkS

Feb 7, 2011, 2:44:59 PM2/7/11
to Gears Users
Thanks for clarifying that. I hadn't tried using the offline/
applicationCache functionality via Chrome Frame. I looked around for
more information and saw this bug report/issue describing the problem,
basically what you outlined.

On Feb 6, 9:40 pm, Martijn van de Rijdt <mri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my testing Google Frame does not provide the applicationCache to IE
> either (it does provide localStorage to IE6 and IE7, not sure about Web
> SQL). It kind of makes sense because I believe Google Frame only starts
> doing its thing (take over) once it has read the special meta tag - so after
> the page is retrieved from the server.
>
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM, <gears-use...@googlegroups.com>wrote:
>

> >   Today's Topic Summary
>
> > Group:http://groups.google.com/group/gears-users/topics
>
> >    - do i initialize localserver & set manifest on EVERY page session?<#12dfdf02f65efc6f_group_thread_0>[1 Update]
>
> >   Topic: do i initialize localserver & set manifest on EVERY page session?<http://groups.google.com/group/gears-users/t/c9404b92f99238a1>
>
> >    MarkS <mark.shaw...@gmail.com> Feb 05 07:41PM -0800 ^<#12dfdf02f65efc6f_digest_top>
>
> >    I think Gears was deprecated too soon. Hopefully Google will continue
> >    to support it and keep it working for a while longer until the similar
> >    features in HTML5 get sorted out, fully implemented and established.
>
> >    For example, the need is for a local database and an offline app
> >    cache.
>
> >    The HTML5 Web SQL Database spec appears to be dead. [
> >    http://dev.w3.org/html5/webdatabase/]
> >    This was implemented in Chrome and Safari I think, will it continue to
> >    be supported in future versions or will it end up being deprecated
> >    since it is not part of the html5 spec? It likely won't be implemented
> >    in Firefox or IE.
>
> >    IndexedDB is not fully implemented yet. [
>
> >    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(HTML_5)#Re...
> >    ]
> >    This appears to be the HTML5 database spec going forward. This is
> >    probably the one to use for a local db, but not quite yet? It looks
> >    like IE9/Firefox,/Chrome will support it.
>
> >    For offline app cache, IE/Trident is a 'no' on the Wikipedia chart.
> >    That's a problem if your customers use IE. You'd need to use Google
> >    Chrome Frame in IE to get offline app functionality.
>
> >    Will Google Chrome Frame continue to be supported for IE9, or only for
> >    IE6,7,8?
>
> >    On Feb 3, 4:38 pm, Michael Nordman <gears.team.micha...@gmail.com>
> >    wrote:
>
> --http://www.linkedin.com/in/martijnvanderijdt

Martijn

Mar 2, 2011, 4:09:13 PM3/2/11
to Gears Users
I wasn't completely correct actually...

The Chrome Frame HTML5 applicationCache (tested in IE7 and IE8) does
seem to work, but you have to manually select 'Work Offline' before
browser cache?)