WTB: Cantilever Brake Boss Fixture

smo...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 3:45:18 PM7/8/21
to Framebuilders
Hi All,
Before I go out and build my own, I was wondering is anyone has a cantilever brake boss fixture for sale? Let me know what you got :)
Thanks!
Christian
Berkeley, CA

christian poppell

Oct 9, 2021, 1:04:36 AM10/9/21
to Framebuilders
How about now? Anyone got something to sell? If rim brakes really are dead then release yourself of the things that do not bring you joy :)
Christian
Phoenix, AZ

On Jul 8, 2021, at 12:45, smo...@gmail.com <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/framebuilders?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Framebuilders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/framebuilders/a55d0d1c-5321-4b48-8d5c-a1ed5cffe85cn%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Wetmore

Oct 9, 2021, 11:10:54 PM10/9/21
to christian poppell, Framebuilders
My best one is still two pieces of angle iron with holes 80mm apart for the bosses.  I've used fancier ones, but this setup is really easy and makes the bosses very square (important for centerpulls, not so important for cantis).

Like this (though these are 65mm apart because they are for centerpulls):

Oct 10, 2021, 3:24:08 AM10/10/21
to Alex Wetmore, christian poppell, Framebuilders
Christian-
The only thing I would add to Alex's comment is that a good way to measure the distance from the axle is a piece of brazing rod with a "J" shape bent on one end to hook over the dummy axle. trim it to the length that equals the radius you want the bosses at. Bonus points if you make one at the same time for spacing the bridges equally.
Hahn Rossman

Message has been deleted

smo...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2021, 1:06:50 PM10/12/21
to Framebuilders
Thanks for the ideas and tips everyone.

Alex, How are you measuring to keep the bosses aligned with the axle? Are you always using both pieces of angle together to keep the bosses in plane with the stays?

Hahn, Good thought with the rods, reminds me of the photo of Hirose where he has all the rods of diffrent lengths :)  https://www.renehersecycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/gauges.jpg?w=640

Thanks again all,
Christian
Phoenix, AZ