Insurance

Alex Meade

Jan 11, 2024, 11:28:32 AMJan 11
to Framebuilders
As I'm sure many of us know,  PMA (Penn. Mfg. Assoc. Insurance) is no longer insuring framebuilders and presumably bike shops (though I don't know for sure about bike shops).  If you have a frame builders liability policy through PMA, you won't be able to renew it this year.

My agent has dug around for me and found some insurers who will cover me, but the premiums range from 1/3 more than PMA to 3X PMA.

So my question for those that carry insurance:  how and through what company are you being covered now that PMA is out of the business?

TIA

Alex

Buck Kempner

Jan 11, 2024, 11:38:25 AMJan 11
to Framebuilders
Sorry forgot to reply all

Buck Kempner
Unified Bikes, LLC
45 Forge Road
Cambridge, Vermont 05444
Shop:   802-899-9188
Mobile: 802-318-0566

Jan 11, 2024, 11:40:22 AMJan 11
to Alex Meade, Framebuilders
Painfully, I know this all too well. For me, it doubled in price and the new policy is thorough - Mesa Underwriters Specialty Insurance Company ( MUSIC ), somehow I find irony in that acronym.

David @
Dogwood Cycleworx

david levy

Jan 11, 2024, 11:51:59 AMJan 11
to David Johnson, Alex Meade, Framebuilders
I use Insurance World out of Eugene OR, try:

Ali Baker:  a...@iwagents.com

Dave
Ti Cycles Fabrication

--

Dave Levy
Ti Cycles Fabrication (Bicycle stuff)

https://www.facebook.com/Cedar-Ridge-Fabrication-LLC-1709306112629624/

meriweth...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2024, 12:32:37 PMJan 11
to Framebuilders
I changed from ISU to Berkley and saved a lot:
This is from Amanda Gearheart, amanda.g...@marshmma.com

I have a company that I work with, Berkley Aspire who has a competitive program right now for bicycle framebuilders. Their minimum premium for this business is $1,500 plus tax and fees. They are the most competitive in pricing at this time. The General Liability limits offered are $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000 aggregate and includes product liability coverage

Hope that helps,
Whit

Jim Gourgoutis

Jan 11, 2024, 3:11:17 PMJan 11
to Alex Meade, Framebuilders
There is a thread on the Custom Frame Forum with some good info on insurance providers.

https://forum.customframeforum.com/t/insurance-for-things-you-make/638

Hope that helps!

-Jim G

On Jan 11, 2024, at 8:28 AM, Alex Meade <alexd...@gmail.com> wrote:

As I'm sure many of us know,  PMA (Penn. Mfg. Assoc. Insurance) is no longer insuring framebuilders and presumably bike shops (though I don't know for sure about bike shops).  If you have a frame builders liability policy through PMA, you won't be able to renew it this year.

Alex Meade

Jan 12, 2024, 10:07:54 AMJan 12
to Framebuilders
Thank you to all who've responded.  My agent scoured the earth for underwriters and has recommended Nautilus Insurance Company, which several of you have mentioned as well.  For what I need they're probably the best-priced; it's just a bummer the cost has gone up as much as it has, relative to PMA.

Again, thank you - the information you've provided is super helpful.

Alex Meade

Richard Sachs

Feb 2, 2024, 7:50:31 AMFeb 2
to Framebuilders