seeking cnc recomendation(s) and a supplier for sealed B.B. cups

good friend

Feb 12, 2024, 4:51:18 AMFeb 12
to Framebuilders
Greetings great hive-mind
   I am aiming to create something that needs B.B. cups that have lips
on them so they stop at the B.B. and can not be screwed in further.
Most bottom brackets come with only one side having this lip and I need
the other side to also have a lip.
I could use either 73mm complete B.B.s with this feature, or just some
cups.   Any leads/suggestions deeply appreciated!

I am also seeking recommendations for something like sendcutsend that
does 3D work, the single piece I need is extremely simple and I might
resort to doing it with a drill press, but I'd prefer the accuracy and
volume and speed of a c-n-c.
   thanks for any suggestions
noMadic  Thomas
      (Yes, I'm nomadic, so asking for mail-service c-n-c, local to
anywhere)

Truls Erik Johnsen

Feb 12, 2024, 6:56:24 AMFeb 12
to Framebuilders
Hi Thomas,

There's plenty of bottom bracket cups with lips/shoulders. Most modern
through-axle cranksets use cups like this. So it's more a question
about what kind of axle diameter you want.

Truls
> --
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/framebuilders?hl=en
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Framebuilders" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/framebuilders/7f7d667b-3ac1-4430-b22d-2aee3befc56d%40kokopedli.com.

good friend

Feb 12, 2024, 12:09:10 PMFeb 12
to frameb...@googlegroups.com
either I'm way behind the times (I use only square-taper B.B. of
old-standard sizing)
Or maybe I did not express myself well enough...    what I mean...
The cartridge B.B. that I have used almost all have a cup on one side
that screws in (usually first) and has a lip that stops it from screwing
further in...   then the cup on the other side screws in and stops where
the bottom bracket bearing stops it.
   I need cups that get stopped by the B.B. shell, the part of the
frame, NOT the bearing or axle...    this is NOT for holding in a B.B.
axle/bearings, it is just for use in a B.B. shell situation.
    There, clear as mud ??

Thanks for any further thoughts    !!
   noMadic  Thomas

Jim Adney

Feb 12, 2024, 2:30:31 PMFeb 12
to frameb...@googlegroups.com
On 12 Feb 2024 at 9:09, good friend wrote:

>    I need cups that get stopped by the B.B. shell, the part of the
> frame, NOT the bearing or axle...    this is NOT for holding in a B.B.
> axle/bearings, it is just for use in a B.B. shell situation.

If ;you can use French or Italian threading, you could use two right hand
cups. If you're set on English or Swiss, I don't know of any way to do that,
unless you braze a lock ring to a left hand cup.

--
*******************************
Jim Adney, jad...@vwtype3.org

good friend

Feb 14, 2024, 12:17:59 PMFeb 14
to frameb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the thoughts all of you...
   I actually have a few cups with lips from the dead-B.B. box at a few
bike co-ops that are perfect, but I want/need more and could not tell
what B.B. the loose cups came from...
   I was hopeful that someone knew...
I could just go with the brazing, that might be easiest.

noMadic  Thomas

Truls Erik Johnsen

good friend

Feb 18, 2024, 11:20:35 AMFeb 18
to frameb...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Truls, (lots going on, just got back to this)
       Not sure if this description will make enough sense, but, being more specific, I'm aiming to use the flange on a sealed bearing cup to hold a separate assembly onto the side of the Bottom Bracket shell...   (a 73mm cartridge used in a 68mm B.B. so I have 5mm extra) 2 flat sheets of 2.6mm steel with a hole in each, clamped to the sides...   a lock-ring style could maybe work, but I'm preferring a cup with a lip built-in/on..    i suspect I will resort to brazing a lock-ring onto a cup.
    with a cartridge bearing system I do not need to adjust the width quite as exactly...

Now I think this external bearing system might just be perfect solution
 I have never used any of these and need to look into cranks built to maintain chainline when the bearings are so much wider!
I tend to use old used (therefore inexpensive) components, so this is a whole new learning curve for me!
I even wonder if I can use a set of cups from an external bearing set-up to hold an older style cartridge bearing B.B. ?
I'd cut the external bearings off and have the shape I need while still using my old cranks!
   more research for me, thanks for the direction!!

noMadic  Thomas

Matt Wilkinson

Feb 18, 2024, 11:41:51 AMFeb 18
to good friend, Framebuilders
The Brompton BB cartridge bearing made by Thun costs £20 in the UK and has 2 plastic cups with shoulders. I wouldn't torque it up much as it will deform easily, but at least they never get stuck.

Matt
Wilkinson Cycles
London, UK