Critical Bug reported in GoFish when deleting from the Search History form...

Matt Slay

Mar 24, 2021, 10:02:23 PM3/24/21
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com, FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
TLDR - Please. Update. GoGish. Immediately.

Hi GoFish users!  I need to alert everyone about a *very critical bug*
in GoFish that was reported last Friday March 19 2021.  The error is
only in a certain condition when using the "Delete" button at the bottom
of the Search History form. Sadly, if this specific error condition is
triggered, GoFish will begin deleting *all* files and folders at the
root level of the disk. Yes, all of them! Please read on...

The error condition is that if you use the Delete button to delete all
of the Search History records from the grid, even after the last record
is deleted, the Delete button will still remain enabled, and if you
click it again, while there are no rows in the grid, it will pass an
empty string to the GF utility function named RemoveFolder(tcFolder),
and the code in that method does not test for empty string, and it uses
the ADir() function on that empty string, which results in the starting
folder for deletion being the root folder of the disk, and it iterates
through all the folders from there attempting to delete them and the
contents. This actually happened to a new user who was testing GF and
then deleted his initial 3 or 4 Search History records, then he clicked
the Delete button again, and the mass-delete unfolded from there. He was
(is), understandably, very upset with me (just read the Issue #9 comment
stream and you will see.)

The error condition was reported first hand by user @grkncl as reported
in Issue #9 on the GitHub repo. If you want to read all the comments
about his experience with this issue you can find it here:
https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish/issues/9

The good news is that the error has been safely and thoroughly fixed in
the latest release of GoFish (ver 5.0.169) which you can get through
Thor Check For Updates. Other features have been added in this release
also, so I recommend upgrading as soon as you can. Of course, the full
and latest source code is available at: https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish

You can see a the recent updates listed in the Change Log section at the
bottom of the page.

Rick Schummer

Mar 24, 2021, 10:14:31 PM3/24/21
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick fix Matt. I’m grateful this nasty bugger was a very underused feature and specific and unusual circumstances.

Regards,

Rick Schummer

Mar 25, 2021, 10:44:30 AM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Where on earth (URL, please) do I download GoFish? I do not have Thor.

Thanks,

Hans L
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/a87e1afd-d550-2344-cdfc-63b05da27009%40jordanmachine.com.

Tore Bleken

Mar 25, 2021, 10:56:40 AM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

May I suggest that you wash your glasses? 😊

Further down, you will see the URL: https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish

Tore Bleken
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/20210325104425.D962.1E9AB279%40gmail.com.

Matt Slay

Mar 25, 2021, 11:12:11 AM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hans -

Typically, GoFish is installed by users using Thor Check For Updates.

Or, you can get the GoFish5.app file here:  https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish/blob/master/Source/GoFish5.APP

  (Use the Download button on the page...)

On Mar 25, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Hans <hans...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where on earth (URL, please) do I download GoFish? I do not have Thor.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 11:23:24 AM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, smart Alec (or Tore), and now tell me, where on that page (on which I have been umpteen times) the download link is!

Hans L
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB33977E680DA3FFD4347301D6D2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 11:25:16 AM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Matt. "Thor Check For Updates", is that Heimdal?

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:12:09 -0500
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/9EB76701-D055-4F55-920E-3EFE822D26EC%40jordanmachine.com.

Matt Slay

Mar 25, 2021, 11:30:56 AM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hans - Check out Thor here:

On Mar 25, 2021, at 10:25 AM, Hans <hans...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, Matt. "Thor Check For Updates", is that Heimdal?

Koen

Mar 25, 2021, 11:50:08 AM3/25/21
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hans,
you have 2 options to get the update:
1.the easiest one , when you have Thor installed:  Menu : Thor->Check for Updates.
When you activate that, Thor is checking for updates, what else would you think he is doing, this will take some time, a lots of wait window messages will popup and disappear but finaly after a while a grid will be presented with all the applications managed by Thor, the apps which will need to be updated are listed on top. Check GoFish5 and click on the button "Install Updates" on the bottom left.
Now Thor will update the apps you have selected.
2.the other option is to go to htpps://github.com/mattslay/GoFish  here you will find a green button with caption Code and a downarrow at left  click and a menu will open with on the bottom bar "Download Zip" .  Now you can save the file GoFish-Master.zip
Unzip this file anywhere you like and look for GoFish5.app this file you should replace the current GoFish5.app on your HD (backup 1st please)

Stay healthy,
Koen

Matt Slay

Mar 25, 2021, 12:02:04 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
If all you want is to get the GoFish5.APP file, and not the entire source code, you can get just the one file using this link:

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 1:00:14 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore, I hope you did not get offended by my "Smart Alec" comment. It was meant in jest, mainly because it is not very obvious wehre you go to download on the page in question.

I always appreciate your assistance!

Hans L

Okay, smart Alec (or Tore), and now tell me, where on that page (on which I have been umpteen times) the download link is!

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:56:36 +0000
Tore Bleken <to...@bleken.no> wrote:

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB33977E680DA3FFD4347301D6D2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Tore Bleken

Mar 25, 2021, 1:02:37 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

No problem, I am no easily offended. However, I am surprised that you haven't installed Thor. I simply couldn't live without it. I recommend that you look at a few of the videos.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/20210325130010.B838.1E9AB279%40gmail.com.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 1:15:15 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore, I will install it now.

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:02:34 +0000
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB3397678F4C71457FDE838CAFD2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Tore Bleken

Mar 25, 2021, 1:17:45 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Fine, if you have any questions or comments, please post them on Foxite or Level Extreme.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/20210325131510.B84A.1E9AB279%40gmail.com.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 7:34:09 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Matt, again, no idea where on the page I download Thor.

Without diminishing the contribution of all the great VFP people, let me ask: what the heck is the great secret about downloading?

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:30:45 -0500
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/EF99798C-90A3-4B3B-98AB-5EDC31D183EC%40jordanmachine.com.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 7:40:45 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Will certainly do, Tore.

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:17:43 +0000
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB3397DA807A4C4516955E9A8FD2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 7:46:27 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore, a technical question about something that I do not understand:

When installing Thor, I am asked for the VFP disk (something that is not unique at all). But why isn't it enough that I have VFP installed on my hard drive?

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:17:43 +0000
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB3397DA807A4C4516955E9A8FD2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Matt Slay

Mar 25, 2021, 7:52:29 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Matt Slay

On Mar 25, 2021, at 6:46 PM, Hans <hans...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tore, a technical question about something that I do not understand:

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 7:57:27 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Matt, no text. Is there a message in that? :-)

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 18:52:24 -0500
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/EA9008CC-0D5B-4072-A0B1-8AFE42D5A141%40jordanmachine.com.

Matt Slay

Mar 25, 2021, 8:01:47 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

See:

    "Getting Started: Click here for installation instructions" on the page.

Matt Slay, President
Jordan Machine Co.
355 Clow Lane
PO Box 170339
Birmingham, AL 35217
Ph: 205-849-5050
Fx: 205-849-5075
matt...@jordanmachine.com
http://www.JordanMachine.com

Rick Schummer

Mar 25, 2021, 8:09:50 PM3/25/21
to foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

I am curious if you are installing Thor into the VFP9 folder or a sub folder. I’ve seen developers do that with third party components, which is why I am asking. My recommendation is to install it outside of the VFP9 folder because there are DBFs used by Thor internally and if you install it with VFP9 these files will be virtualized by Windows.

Thor does not normally prompt for the VFP install CD. I have seen Windows Update mess with components installed by VFP and this prompts for the installer when the install is considered in need of repair.

Regards,

Rick Schummer

Mar 25, 2021, 10:15:50 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Matt!

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 19:01:44 -0500
Matt Slay <matt...@jordanmachine.com> wrote:

> See:
>
> *    "Getting Started:*Â Click here for installation instructions <https://github.com/VFPX/Thor/blob/master/Docs/Thor_install.md>" on the page.
>

> *Matt Slay*, President
> Jordan Machine Co.
> 355 Clow Lane
> PO Box 170339
> Birmingham, AL 35217
> Ph: 205-849-5050
> Fx: 205-849-5075
> matt...@jordanmachine.com <mailto:matt...@jordanmachine.com>
> http://www.JordanMachine.com <http://www.JordanMachine.com>
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/fff2dfff-096f-87c4-aeba-fb552cd6bd6a%40jordanmachine.com.

Hans

Mar 25, 2021, 10:18:50 PM3/25/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Rick, I had not entertained the idea of installing into a VFP directory. Did not seem to make sense to me. And, after Matt's reference to "Getting Started:*Â Click here for installation instructions <https://github.com/VFPX/Thor/blob/master/Docs/Thor_install.md>" on the page", I am sure everything will work out okay.

Thanks for your concern.

Hans L
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/CH2PR12MB3958F48C8E4BD44F1BD39F2DAB619%40CH2PR12MB3958.namprd12.prod.outlook.com.

Hans

Mar 27, 2021, 2:12:18 PM3/27/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen, thanks. I have installed Thor. I have updated, and GoFish has been added here.

Best,

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 08:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
Koen <koen....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hans,
> you have 2 options to get the update:
> 1.the easiest one , when you have Thor installed: Menu : Thor->Check for
> Updates.
> When you activate that, Thor is checking for updates, what else would you
> think he is doing, this will take some time, a lots of wait window messages
> will popup and disappear but finaly after a while a grid will be presented
> with all the applications managed by Thor, the apps which will need to be
> updated are listed on top. Check GoFish5 and click on the button "Install
> Updates" on the bottom left.
> Now Thor will update the apps you have selected.
> 2.the other option is to go to htpps://github.com/mattslay/GoFish here you
> will find a green button with caption Code and a downarrow at left click
> and a menu will open with on the bottom bar "Download Zip" . Now you can
> save the file GoFish-Master.zip
> Unzip this file anywhere you like and look for GoFish5.app this file you
> should replace the current GoFish5.app on your HD (backup 1st please)
>
> Stay healthy,
> Koen
> Op donderdag 25 maart 2021 om 16:30:56 UTC+1 schreef MattSlay:
>
> > Hans - Check out Thor here:
> >
> > https://github.com/VFPX/Thor
> >

> > *Matt Slay*, President
> > Jordan Machine Co.
> > 355 Clow Lane
> > PO Box 170339
> > Birmingham, AL 35217
> > Ph: 205-849-5050
> > Fx: 205-849-5075
> > matt...@jordanmachine.com
> > http://www.JordanMachine.com <http://www.jordanmachine.com/>
> >

> > On Mar 25, 2021, at 10:25 AM, Hans <hans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Matt. "Thor Check For Updates", is that Heimdal?
> >

> > Hans L
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:12:09 -0500
> > Matt Slay <matt...@jordanmachine.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hans -
> >

> > Typically, GoFish is installed by users using Thor Check For Updates.
> >

> > Or, you can get the GoFish5.app file here:
> > https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish/blob/master/Source/GoFish5.APP
> >

> > (Use the Download button on the page...)
> >

> > Matt Slay, President
> >
> > Jordan Machine Co.
> >
> > 355 Clow Lane
> >
> > PO Box 170339
> >
> > Birmingham, AL 35217
> >
> > Ph: 205-849-5050 <(205)%20849-5050>
> >
> > Fx: 205-849-5075 <(205)%20849-5075>
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/20210325104425.D962.1E9AB279%40gmail.com
> > .
> >

> > --

> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/9EB76701-D055-4F55-920E-3EFE822D26EC%40jordanmachine.com
> > .
> >

> > --

> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/20210325112511.B828.1E9AB279%40gmail.com
> > .

Hans

Mar 27, 2021, 2:12:45 PM3/27/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Matt. Thor installed, and all is well.

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 11:02:02 -0500
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/BE0EF55D-21E4-43EF-B106-A844063F94B2%40jordanmachine.com.

Hans

Mar 27, 2021, 2:14:04 PM3/27/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thor installed, videos next.

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:02:34 +0000
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB3397678F4C71457FDE838CAFD2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Hans

Mar 27, 2021, 2:14:23 PM3/27/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore, will do.

Hans L

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:17:43 +0000
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/AM6PR0102MB3397DA807A4C4516955E9A8FD2629%40AM6PR0102MB3397.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Matt Slay

Mar 27, 2021, 2:39:56 PM3/27/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hans - there are now two more steps to becoming a pro Thor user...

1. Learn how to use Thor To configure hot keys to launch all these cools like, like GoFish, etc. I use Ctrl+Shift+G for my GF hot key(s)

2. Discover all the awesome tools that are available in the Thor Repository. I think if you try the Thor Launcher from the menu you will be able to search and see and filter all the various tools. It’s a long process to learn what they all are and what they do, but you will find a few gems in there if you spend the time to do so.

The tools in the Tho Repository are already installed when you installed Thor, so it’s just a matter of discovering what they are and how to launch them.

There are several white papers available on the Internet and even some videos and even documentation in the Thor GitHub repository pages.

Matt Slay

On Mar 27, 2021, at 1:14 PM, Hans <hans...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thor installed, videos next.

Hans

Mar 27, 2021, 2:43:15 PM3/27/21
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Matt. I have watched two videos already, and will go on.

Hans L

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 13:39:53 -0500