Critical Bug reported in GoFish when deleting from the Search History form...

Matt Slay

Mar 24, 2021, 10:02:23 PM3/24/21
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com, FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
TLDR - Please. Update. GoGish. Immediately.

Hi GoFish users!  I need to alert everyone about a *very critical bug*
in GoFish that was reported last Friday March 19 2021.  The error is
only in a certain condition when using the "Delete" button at the bottom
of the Search History form. Sadly, if this specific error condition is
triggered, GoFish will begin deleting *all* files and folders at the
root level of the disk. Yes, all of them! Please read on...

The error condition is that if you use the Delete button to delete all
of the Search History records from the grid, even after the last record
is deleted, the Delete button will still remain enabled, and if you
click it again, while there are no rows in the grid, it will pass an
empty string to the GF utility function named RemoveFolder(tcFolder),
and the code in that method does not test for empty string, and it uses
the ADir() function on that empty string, which results in the starting
folder for deletion being the root folder of the disk, and it iterates
through all the folders from there attempting to delete them and the
contents. This actually happened to a new user who was testing GF and
then deleted his initial 3 or 4 Search History records, then he clicked
the Delete button again, and the mass-delete unfolded from there. He was
(is), understandably, very upset with me (just read the Issue #9 comment
stream and you will see.)

The error condition was reported first hand by user @grkncl as reported
in Issue #9 on the GitHub repo. If you want to read all the comments
about his experience with this issue you can find it here:
https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish/issues/9

The good news is that the error has been safely and thoroughly fixed in
the latest release of GoFish (ver 5.0.169) which you can get through
Thor Check For Updates. Other features have been added in this release
also, so I recommend upgrading as soon as you can. Of course, the full
and latest source code is available at: https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish

You can see a the recent updates listed in the Change Log section at the
bottom of the page.

Rick Schummer

Mar 24, 2021, 10:14:31 PM3/24/21
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick fix Matt. I’m grateful this nasty bugger was a very underused feature and specific and unusual circumstances.

Regards,

Rick Schummer

Mar 25, 2021, 8:30:48 AM3/25/21
to GoFish
Hi,
where can I find the 'instrctions' to install the new version 1.70?
Stay healthy,
Koen

Matt Slay

Mar 25, 2021, 9:31:38 AM3/25/21
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com

>> where can I find the 'instrctions' to install the new version 1.70?

The latest version is 5.0.170

Typically, GoFish is installed by users using Thor Check For Updates.

Or, you can get the GoFish5.app file here:  https://github.com/mattslay/GoFish/blob/master/Source/GoFish5.APP

  (Use the Download button on the page...)