Interesting: Chrome DISABLED ForecastFox and Screengrab in the last 24 hours on 2 Windows devices

Ellen Sleeter

Jun 18, 2024, 1:36:26 PMJun 18
to forecastfox-users
[Not looking for answers.  Just reporting my observations]

Apologies if anyone else has reported this, but I have not seen this before or heard about it:

anticipating dangerous heat today, I looked for ForecastFox icons on Chrome, and found, this morning, that the icons and weather menus were gone from Chrome.

Went to "Manage Extensions" in Chrome, and found that FF had been "disabled by Chrome."  This is the first time I have encountered such pushback from Google.  I was able to re-enable it on this panel, but... how many more times will I be able to re-enable?

image.png

Also, FF is condemned in the Google Store.  Also from "Manage Extensions > Safety Check"

image.png

I have vanilla installations on Thinkpad Ultra X25 and HP-ENVY-AIO:  Windows 11x64, Chrome (latest) with MalwareBytes Premium, Adblock Plus Premium.

I have never needed/chosen to uninstall FF, or add to a new computer since the Google store debacle, so I am disheartened by Chrome deciding summarily to disable FF overnight.

Next thing -- Google could uninstall FF, I suppose.

Again, not looking for suggestions/work-arounds.  Don't have the bandwidth for those.  Just reporting my observations.

Dismayed in Philly

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ellen Sleeter

Chris Groszczyk

Jun 18, 2024, 3:47:07 PMJun 18
to forecastfox-users
I'm seeing the same issues, it started this morning and has been "can't connect to weather service" all day.

some other threads are saying that Google disabled something on their side and the developer would need to update...

smf

Jun 19, 2024, 9:41:42 PMJun 19
to forecastfox-users
I just saw something on another one of these forums regarding a change in the backend of these extensions that Google made recently.  Essentially it's an upgrade to a new version of the base of the extension.  Extensions that are not updated when Google finally disables the old one in June 2024 will just be disabled.  My guess is the developer, being in Ukraine, probably cannot keep up with this anymore in a war-torn country,.  Very sad.

Here's the link of what I am referring to:

Jason Bourne

Jun 23, 2024, 9:15:35 PMJun 23
to forecastfox-users
I'm using a Portable version of Chrome ( 120.0.6099.225 ) which is the last version to have the downloads tab at the bottom.

Chrome can't force Portable versions to update - the directory structure is just different from the regular installed versions.

I also had the extension disabled. I simply re-enabled it.

My guess is that the V2/V3 thing is handled by the browser, which Chrome can't do anything about since I won't be using the latest version of the browser.

They can flag an extension but that's about it.

I would guess that for people trying to use this extension with the latest version of Chrome, it will no longer work because the browser will simply have dropped support for V2 (depreciated).

It should continue to work for me and the version I'm on and, in fact, as of now today is working fine.

Just more nonsense from Chrome.