Brakes

cmr7...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2016, 2:15:03 PM7/4/16
to FlyARV
Hello All

The braking system in the ARV is gloriously simple, but now very old.
Some parts are only available as used items.
I have been hunting for brake parts over the last few years.
I have put my experiences down in a pdf.
If it is any help to others who have not yet had to delve into the brakes, it is attached here.

I cannot take any responsibility for any incorrect or misleading information.
You need to be satisfied that what I have said is correct and the work you do has been approved by your LAA inspector.

Regards

Chris
XARV
Brakes.pdf

Doug Blair

Jul 4, 2016, 5:23:50 PM7/4/16
to fly...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I no longer have an ARV but do have a new wheel cylinder if anyone needs one.  I replaced my wheel cylinder pistons with stainless ones at the time I resealed the brakes  Very easy to turn and much less likley to corrode. If the seals are compatable it would be worth using silicone brake fluid as it is not hydroscopic and less likley to cause corrossion.

I also have a layout drawing of the engine which has part number references for the commercial bits used like bearings bolts and seals. I might be able to get it scanned if any one wants a copy. It is A0 or A1.

Derek Davidson  ( adverises flying courses in Light Aviation ) once told me he had some spare brake discs.

A vey usefull brake .pdf for existing owners.

Best Regards

Doug Blair

PS if you want horrible to work on brakes buy a Jodel !

Neil Onions

Jul 5, 2016, 2:36:58 AM7/5/16
to do...@isallt.co.uk, fly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,
That drawing of the engine would be very useful if you could get it scanned.....

Regards

Neil
G-BNGV G-BNHB

AMO

Oct 13, 2016, 1:50:59 AM10/13/16
to FlyARV, cmr7...@gmail.com
That's very public spirited of you  .... Thanks Chris

Doug Blair

Oct 13, 2016, 9:03:34 AM10/13/16
to fly...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I have a spare brake caliper p/n 20516181 which also says on the packaging discontinued use 20516143.  It has pads pins and clips with it. If any one wants it let me know.

I turned some stainless pistons for G BSRK when I owned it.  Easy to do and keeps corrossion an bit more at bay.

Doug Blair

ex GBSRK

Doug Blair

Oct 13, 2016, 9:11:06 AM10/13/16
to fly...@googlegroups.com

A second reply !

googling Brembo 20516181 has produced several results. This might worry me a bit that the caliper I have would not fit an ARV. Does anyone have the part number ?

Doug

ex GBSRK