G29 wheel calibration

Moisés

Feb 24, 2024, 9:47:16 PMFeb 24
to Formula One Grand Prix / World Circuit
Hello,
I'm having some problems to get my wheel to work with the game.
I'm using the 1.05 version of the game running with DOSBOX ECE, tried to set up it with the help of TEDMEATs youtube video but the pedals doesnt work properly.
Using the Logitech GHub to combine pedals and setting it on Joy A I get response only from the clutch pedal.
If I don't combine it and set to Joy B, when asking to press forward to calibrate, only the brake pedal works.
I tried different combinations inside the game to try to get it working but nothing works.

I wonder if I need to run it with a different version of DOSBOX or do some changes for it to work.
Let me know if there is any suggestions.
Appreciate it, Thank you!

F1GP Archive

Feb 25, 2024, 11:01:30 AMFeb 25
to Formula One Grand Prix / World Circuit
Hello,

I don't have a steering wheel so I can't speak from experience, but I can tell you how things should work in theory.

The ideal setup would be with three separate axes:
1. Steering
2. Accelerator
3. Brake

The crucial thing is to check if everything is configured properly in the DOSBox keymapper.

When you start DOSBox check the status window to see if any joysticks were found. It should say how many joysticks and how many axes per joystick there are. Ideally, there would either be two joysticks or one joystick with 3 or more axes.

When you open the DOSBox keymapper (Ctrl + F1), both Joystick 1 (Axis 1/2) and Joystick 2 (Axis 3/4) should be enabled.

If no joysticks are found, you can try to force it by changing the DOSBox configuration file:
joysticktype=4axis

In the keymapper you need to define the controls for each axis. Let's use the following configuration:
Joystick 1:
X-axis = Steering (X- = steer left, X+ = steer right)
Y-axis = not used (don't need to map it)
Also map Joystick Button 1 (Fire) to some button on the keyboard or steering wheel.

Joystick 2:
X-axis = Brake
Y-axis = Accelerator

For the brake, the center position will be neutral (no braking). The left part of the axis won't be used, and the right part of the axis will be braking.
Map X- to some key on the keyboard or steering wheel (it won't be used while driving), and map X+ to pressed brake.

For the Accelerator the center position will be neutral (no throttle). The backward part of the axis won't be used, and the forward part of the axis will be acceleration.
Map Y+ to some key on the keyboard or steering wheel (it won't be used while driving), and map Y- to pressed throttle.
Also map Joystick Button 1 (Fire) to some button on the keyboard or steering wheel.

If you cannot map the controls in this way, they won't work properly in F1GP.
If that's case, check if you can configure the axes in a different way in the steering wheel drivers, or maybe use a virtual joystick driver like vJoy.

In any case, you must be able to control steering left, steering right, throttle and brake separately.

For the 3 axis configuration, set the following settings in F1GP:
Game Options Menu > Control Method > Edit Current Controls

Edit Steering Controls >
Device: Joystick A
Mode: Linear

Edit Accelerate/Brake Controls >
Acceleration Device:
Joy B: Stick
Mode: Linear

Braking Device:
Joy B: Stick
Mode: Linear

Edit Joystick Axes >
Throttle and brake on separate axes: Yes

When calibrating Joystick A (steering), the game will require the Left position (steer left), Right position (steer right) and Center position (wheel centered).
When calibrating Joystick B (throttle/brake),  the game will require the Left position (key mapped to X-), Right position (pressed brake), Forward position (pressed throttle), Backward position (key mapped to Y+), and Center position (nothing pressed).

Alternatively, you could try a configuration with throttle and brake on the same axis. In that case, one joystick with 2 axes will be sufficient (or two joysticks with one axis used):
X- = steer left
X+ = steer right
Y- = throttle
Y+ = brake

Cheers,
Hrvoje

Moisés

Feb 25, 2024, 6:01:57 PMFeb 25
to Formula One Grand Prix / World Circuit

Hello Hrvoje, thanks for the help!
I coud make it run with the correct input, thanks to your sugestion to map it with throttle and brake on the same axis.
About the game setup, I noted that there is like a big deadzone while driving.
Is there a sugested degrees of rotation for the wheel ? And what about the steering setuo within the game, it goes until 35 degrees.
Is there a way to make it run more smotthly with the wheel inputs ?
Thank you for your help!

F1GP Archive

Feb 25, 2024, 8:40:09 PMFeb 25
to Formula One Grand Prix / World Circuit
Hello,

Speaking from memory from previous discussions, I think the most important settings are:
1. Change the wheel deadzone through DOSBox ECE
2. Change maximum wheel rotation angle through its software
3. Change Max Lock settings in the game (values around the default 12 deg are ok, depending on the circuit type).

I suggest you check the following discussions for more details:

Steering Wheels

Logitech G27 / F1GP / GP2 / DosBox
https://www.grandprixgames.org/read.php?6,1147353

Cheers,
Hrvoje

Zifox

Feb 26, 2024, 3:35:06 AMFeb 26
to f1g...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

about the deadzone it's a entry in the dosbox configuration. Check if you have a "timed" entry in the joystick session and set it to true.
On a G27 my best max rotation is 360.
I confirm that you need to use a single axis for throttle and brake. Couldn't make it work with separate axes.

There's a topic on GPGames about this: https://www.grandprixgames.org/read.php?6,1147353