Ilya Sutskever ​says "Superintelligence is within reach​"

John Clark

Jun 20, 2024, 8:08:18 AMJun 20
to extro...@googlegroups.com, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
I don't think anybody knows more about the science of AI than Ilya Sutskever, at least nobody human, and apparently he believes that Artificial General Intelligence is boring old hat stuff because he now says "Superintelligence is within reach". That fact has scared the hell out of him. Sutskever saw something last November that spooked him and he's the one who orchestrated the attempt to kick out Sam Altman because he didn't think he was emphasizing safety enough. His attempt to get rid of Altman failed, so he left OpenAI and today started his own company called "Safe Superintelligence".

sia

Keith Henson

Jun 20, 2024, 1:25:32 PMJun 20
to extro...@googlegroups.com, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
It is my opinion that superintelligence is inevitable. Whatever
downsides there are, we can't avoid them. There are expected upsides
as well, so we might as well rush ahead and get them.

Frankly, human intelligence leaves a lot to be desired. For recent
examples, consider the Ukraine war and Hamas' attack on Israel.

Keith

John Clark

Jun 20, 2024, 2:18:04 PMJun 20
On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 1:25 PM Keith Henson <hkeith...@gmail.com> wrote:

It is my opinion that superintelligence is inevitable.  Whatever
downsides there are, we can't avoid them.  There are expected upsides
as well, so we might as well rush ahead and get them.

That is also my opinion. The best thing to do is just get on with it and hope for the best. Who knows we might even survive.

ew4