First Known Covid Case Was Vendor at Wuhan Market

John Clark

Nov 19, 2021, 11:08:40 AM11/19/21
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
In yesterday's issue of the journal Science researchers give a devastating, but not necessarily fatal, blow to the theory that COVID-19 originated at Wuhan Institute of Virology and not at the Wuhan animal market which is 8 miles away and on the other side of the Yangtze River.  Previously it had been reported that the first known case of COVID-19  came from an accountant with the surname "Chen'' who got sick on December 8 2019 and lived on the other side of the city from the Wuhan market and had no known connection with it. However on further investigation it turns out that date, although widely quoted, was simply wrong, the man didn't actually start to feel sick until December 16.

The person with the first known case of COVID-19 was actually a woman named Wei Guixian who was a seafood vendor at the Wuhan animal market, she developed symptoms on December 10 and was hospitalized on December 11. Michael Worobey, the author of this paper, says:

“In this city of 11 million people, half of the early cases are linked to a place that’s the size of a soccer field. It becomes very difficult to explain that pattern if the outbreak didn’t start at the market.”

However by examining changes in the viruse'genome Dr. Worobey concludes that Wei Guixian is probably not patient zero, that unknown person probably got infected sometime in mid November 2019.

image.png

Lawrence Crowell

Nov 20, 2021, 7:33:14 AM11/20/21
to Everything List
With these data it might mean the only way the Wuhan Institute of Virology started Covid is if they directed it to the market. For a number of reasons that seems implausible.

LC

spudb...@aol.com

Nov 20, 2021, 10:15:18 PM11/20/21
to goldenfield...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
These labs were remarked upon by a US collogue (biologist) back in 2017, about poor safety practices at the Chinese labs in question. I could dig up the quote if needed? The Chinese, along with pollution are way behind the West in environmental safety, and laws, and enforced laws. The China hands that I have read indicate that this laxness is not uncommon, and resembles Europe and the US before the 1970's in enforced standards. The PRC has its "scandals" now as we have had them in our past. The "wet" market in question, near one lab,  literally was a "wet" market in the sense that their prime product was seafood, not birds, pigs, snakes, bats, etc.

I do note with a grin, that big pharma has moved in a big way to start to provide Covid-fighting pills to alleviate the infection, along with, of course the vaccines. I am pleased that they have progressed so far in getting these to patients. The FDA is supposed to meet on the 30th for advisory purposes.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/38c05360-c9a4-447e-8215-095af293a23bn%40googlegroups.com
.