Should the Democrats nominate a Republican?

John Clark

Jul 21, 2024, 7:54:58 AM (2 days ago) Jul 21
to extro...@googlegroups.com, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
In today's New York Times Aaron Sorkin, the guy who wrote the TV series "The West Wing" had an interesting idea that I had not considered before. It's worth thinking about :

"At their convention next month, the Democrats should nominate Mitt Romney. Nominating Mr. Romney would be putting our money where our mouth is: a clear and powerful demonstration that this election isn’t about what our elections are usually about, but about stopping a deranged man from taking power.  Does Mr. Romney support abortion rights? No. Does he want to aggressively raise the minimum wage, bolster public education, strengthen unions, expand transgender rights and enact progressive tax reform? Probably not. But is he a cartoon thug who did nothing but watch TV while the mob he assembled beat and used Tasers on police officers? No. The choice is between Donald Trump and not-Trump, and the not-Trump candidate needs only one qualification: to win enough votes from a cross section of Americans to close off the former president’s Electoral College path back to power.  And Mr. Romney could make the case that the Democrats are putting country before party in ways that the MAGA movement will not, and announce his bipartisan cabinet picks at the convention as well."

iwt

Brent Meeker

1:35 AM (4 hours ago) 1:35 AM
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Joe already made the point that at least one Democrat is for putting nation ahead of self; which is even better.  Putting up another rich guy who wants to cut taxes for rich guys is a stupid move.

Brent